I know it is small, but just got a refurb from BestBuy and seems like it is difficult to push. what is everyone elses like?
    Is this normal for it to be like this? I want to make sure because I will return and get another if need be.
    01-25-12 10:15 AM
    It takes some minor effort to use the On/OFF switch, but nothing one needs to lose any sleep over. You shouldn't really be having to use it much since leaving the PB on is the way it was intended to be used. It will go into standby to conserve battery life, so turning it off is unnecessary.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-25-12 10:27 AM
    The power button wasnt designed the best. After about a month of use with my PB it is near impossible to hit easily. So dont worry you are not alone.
    It is kind of upsetting it is this way but what can you do.
    You are probably going to get a lot of feedback with people saying why do you use the button, there is no need too, stop complaining and all that nonsense. Just be prepared. It seems every other time someone creates a thread about the power buton that is what happens.
    If you do a search you can find a couple fixes people have done. They might interest you. I would also suggest returning it like you say and getting one that is good as new so you can be a little more power button conscious.
    01-25-12 10:38 AM
    Mine is pretty flush, have no trouble using it but I don't need to use it much. I like it that way so I don't push it by accident.
    Chaddface and DAnklaud like this.
    01-25-12 10:40 AM
    I find myself using it only to let the device sleep. A bezel to bezel swipe will wake it right up, however, do the same thing when it's awake and it wont work!

It's just a pain to go to the battery icon, pop it up and then hit Stand-By, I rather just use the power button.
    01-25-12 10:45 AM
    I bought 2 refurbs from Best Buy and they were both difficult to push to the point I had to use an object to do it. I was ok with that for the cost savings. The bigger problem for mine was that in the RIM Convertible case, I couldn't push the button at all. Still not a deal breaker, but definitely an inconvenience. It wouldn't be affected if it was in stand-by but if the battery discharged all the way, I would need to use the power button once the battery was charged. Had I kept my refurbs, I probably would have modified the case button.

What I wound up with was a new PlayBook, and the button is raised just a tiny bit higher than on the refurbs and is also easy to press. I don't know if that has to do with manufacture date or just differences between units.
    01-25-12 10:48 AM
    mine is raised and i love it! Personal preference i guess, but the first 3 i had were flush and hard to push and it totally annoyed me! I agree that you can use the on screen icon to power off and stand by, but still is nice to just to push the power button when not using, jsut like my 9900 instead of serching for the icon on the home screen
    01-25-12 10:49 AM
    Mine is great. It pokes up just enough so I can feel a little lip...
    When depressing it, it's easy and pops right back up. I can feel it, but can't hear it.

I don't use it unless I have to. I use the battery icon > stand by and hardly ever power off. Only have done that on 2 occasions when it froze.
    01-25-12 10:50 AM
    I also got a Best Buy refurb, but mine is slightly raised, I find myself using it alot. Doesn't seem too hard to find it using the left volume key as my guide. After reading this post I'm glad I didn't end up with a refurb pb that has a barely there off button!
    01-25-12 11:00 AM
    If Best Buy will let you, I'd return it at least once if you are not happy with it. It is a known problem and really shouldn't be that way. If you get a "raised" power button you have hit the jackpot. I did a warranty return with RIM within 2 days 'cuz of it. You will need it if you have to do the three button reset or want to power it off for an extended time period (and get it back on again). I felt foolish until I consulted the web and saw all the issues. Sure if you get a good one, no problem...but they all aren't that way. It really is too small with no tactile feedback. Also, wait a couple of minutes before pressing again 'cuz the PB doesn't respond instantaneously. Lastly, I have an Otterbox case and that has a extension that seems to facilitate pressing the button. It adds bulk, though. The power button and the screen (dead pixels, bleeding) are the two main issues out of the box. I guess also the back bulge if refurb but that is cosmetic.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 01-25-12 at 11:44 AM.
    01-25-12 11:24 AM
    Mine is insane! It is flush, so it is difficult to push in the first place. Couple that with my Playbook being in a case and it makes it impossible!!!! I have to remove my Playbook from the case to push the power button, then I use the back side of my stylus to push it since it works better than my finger.

But honestly, I don't turn my Playbook off (maybe because it's too hard to turn back on). I just put it in standby mode and if it needs a reboot for any reason I use the restart option on the battery icon.
    01-25-12 11:39 AM
    My first PB power button was slightly raised, no issues with it. My second is flush, but it still is very responsive to my finger covering it and pressing. The only trouble I have is when its in the convertable case. In the Otterbox and journal case it works well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-12 11:56 AM
    I bought my original playbook in august 2011 and it was one of the ones with the bad power buttons. I didn't mind it because like kbz said, it prevented me from pressing it by accident. Anyways I was still curious so I opened it up and observed the power button. I found a fix for it and now my sister says there are no problems with it. I will post a thread soon about it
    01-25-12 12:06 PM
    This poll shows that about 52% are flush and about 48% are raised.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-607053/
    My PB power button is a bit raised.
    01-25-12 12:11 PM
    Mine is flat and I cannot press it without using a pencil or something similar. I have only needed to hit it once in the month that I've had it, so while annoying...not really the end of the world.
    speedypear likes this.
    01-25-12 12:30 PM
    My first 16gb PB had a slightly more flush power button that was more difficult to depress, but my new 64gb power button is slightly raised and very easy to push, but I had an OEM convertible case at first that made the power button on my first PB impossible to use and I just used the power button icon even after buying a Blurex case that has full access to the power button. Even now with my new PB, I don't use the button on top of the PB, but instead still use the icon.
    01-25-12 12:44 PM
    I only use it in conjucture with the 2 volume keys. Hitting the battery then bezel-to-bezel swiping does the job for me (quite easily, might I add)
    01-25-12 01:23 PM
    I havent turned mine off or on with the power button since I got it in the summer. It is horribly hard to push it and even harder to tell if it has been pushed. There is no click. It almost feels like it is not a button at all.
    01-25-12 01:28 PM
    My power button is flush but i find that swiping up from the bottom to the top when it goes into standby wakes i up.
    01-25-12 05:21 PM
    maybe i was lucky but mine seems perfect, sticks out just the right amount, isn't too hard to push and isn't too easy. maybe it is because i bought mine when they first when on sale and they had redisigned it? however i'm guessing they had a bunch stock piled from launch so probably not. anyways sorry for the blab saying how good mine is...
    01-25-12 06:17 PM
    I only used the power button 2x in the 2 months I owned this baby.
    01-25-12 06:25 PM
    ..the laziness around here..it probably takes the same or more amount of time trying to find the power button and pressing it compared to going to the battery logo (by diagonal swipe from upper left corner) and pressing standby.
    01-25-12 07:14 PM
    ^ It's got nothing to do with laziness. Occasionally the PB will need a reboot. Standby a is great feature most of the time and it's great that it can be shutdown a couple of different ways.
    Once it's off though, you need the power button to turn it back on. It would be nice if that power button was as it should be, for everyone.
    FF22 and dave1701 like this.
    01-26-12 08:20 AM
    ^ It's got nothing to do with laziness. Occasionally the PB will need a reboot. Standby a is great feature most of the time and it's great that it can be shutdown a couple of different ways.
    Once it's off though, you need the power button to turn it back on. It would be nice if that power button was as it should be, for everyone.
    What it should be is a matter of opinion. A flush, less accessible button is better for me.
    01-26-12 10:11 AM
    What it should be is a matter of opinion. A flush, less accessible button is better for me.
    Agreed. I never said it should be one way or the other.
    01-26-12 10:16 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD