okay so i read somewhere that it comes with a hotspot feature, and that in order for it to work i need to get the new plan? What if i download the OS onto my phone either way and don't use the hot spot feature, will i get charged either way for having it or will it charge me if i mistakenly activate it on my phone? how does that work?
    01-22-12 11:28 PM
    I believe you only have to change your data plan if you want the hotspot activated. And you can only activate the hotspot functionality if you call in to customer service.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-23-12 12:00 AM
    okay so i read somewhere that it comes with a hotspot feature, and that in order for it to work i need to get the new plan? What if i download the OS onto my phone either way and don't use the hot spot feature, will i get charged either way for having it or will it charge me if i mistakenly activate it on my phone? how does that work?
    I'm a Verizon customer, but I also have the 7.1OS with the hotspot feature. With Verizon you automatically opt in to a mobile hotspot plan (which is different than a data plan) just by activating the hotspot feature on your phone. Basically, it's okay for it to he there and you won't get charged. But the moment you start playing around with it beware the penalty, they will charge you for using it. Investigate mobile hotspot plans with AT&T before you do anything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-12 12:19 AM
    mnhockeycoach99 is correct. i know from firsthand experience! i installed the 7.1 os on Friday and had to call ATT to activate the feature. i tried activating it without calling CS, but i was prompted to call them to activate. it works flawlessly for me, very impressed. best of luck!
    xXBLACKBERRYXx5 likes this.
    01-23-12 12:47 AM
    Unlike the Verizon scenario described by victoriak68, AT&T won't let you use the hotspot until you have the appropriate data plan and call in to activate the feature.
    cntrydncr223 and homer1475 like this.
    01-23-12 12:49 AM
    Unlike the Verizon scenario described by victoriak68, AT&T won't let you use the hotspot until you have the appropriate data plan and call in to activate the feature.
    On ATT as well and 7.1 since the first leak, and can say that if the tethering option isn't on your device, you wont get charged automatically for it either. You have to call(or go on the web) to add this feature for hotspot to even function, otherwise when you try to start it you get an error.
    01-23-12 08:38 AM
    Greetings everyone. I am on AT&T's network and, when I went into the store today, the store rep told me that when OS7.1 is officially released and if I wanted to activate the hotspot feature, then I would have to change my rate plan to allow to have the hotspot as well as tethering.
    01-23-12 05:14 PM
    Greetings everyone. I am on AT&T's network and, when I went into the store today, the store rep told me that when OS7.1 is officially released and if I wanted to activate the hotspot feature, then I would have to change my rate plan to allow to have the hotspot as well as tethering.
    True. But, if you've upgraded to one of the flavors of 7.1 out now, dialing 611 will get you an AT&T rep who would be quite happy to change your plan now. People have already done it.
    01-23-12 05:36 PM
    yep since its not officially out they can't officially charge you
    so you have to call them to activate it.
    They just changed plans this week its now $50 for 5GB with hotspot
    01-23-12 09:30 PM
    yep since its not officially out they can't officially charge you
    so you have to call them to activate it.
    They just changed plans this week its now $50 for 5GB with hotspot
    the need to come out with better data pricing. lol
    01-27-12 01:34 AM
    OS .583 is the most current official version. Let me get this straight. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan so I would have to give it up? Why can I not add the hotspot feature instead? 5GB is not a lot of space for $50as my currrent plan is $30.
    01-27-12 06:21 AM
    OS .583 is the most current official version. Let me get this straight. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan so I would have to give it up? Why can I not add the hotspot feature instead? 5GB is not a lot of space for $50as my currrent plan is $30.
    Agreed its total BS. If you want to add tethering to your plan you will loose the unlimited option. ATT is so trying to get rid of the grandfathered unlimited option and this is yet another way. I'm going to gather a guess here and say that once 7.1 becomes "official" for ATT and you activate hotspot, its going to automatically change your plan. ATT is very sneaky like that.
    01-27-12 06:54 AM
    I agree that AT&T is desperately trying to get us off of the unlimited data plans.

However, if I had a legitimate need for a HotSpot (all of the consultants I work with have them) I would not want one tied to my phone. I wouldn't trust it to manage the wifi and hotspot and calls all at once. That's just me. And, if I had to leave the room to take a call, I would have to take the phone. I'm sure it would freak half the time when the notebooks disconnected due to range.

I would rather pay Verizon or AT&T for a 4G LTE HotSpot for $50 a month. Cost of the HotSpot and $30 more than using the BB for a HotSpot, but I would feel more comfortable using it.

The phone/HotSpot thing that 'Droids and BBs do doesn't seem to be for serious business HOtSpot use, just for use in a pinch.
    01-27-12 08:07 AM
    The phone/HotSpot thing that 'Droids and BBs do doesn't seem to be for serious business HOtSpot use, just for use in a pinch.
    It was never meant to be for serious use, not even the standalone mobile hotspot device they sell is for serious use considering it has a device connectivity limit, not to mention that a 5 GB limit is not 'serious' use, plus the natural latency of the wireless line makes it borderline useless in anything that requires a good response time.

Neither the phone, or the hotspot device is meant to be a replacement for a dedicated internet line, but more to be used "in a pinch" or at hotels or coffee shops or on the go and for non serious usage. Although HSPA+ and LTE connectivity can provide good speeds for file transfers, on both the phone and the standalone hotspot, the GB limit makes it a non 'serious' usage connection.

The blackberry radio can nicely handle data and voice at the same time and the notebook disconnecting because you left the room is just personal preference. Right now, any bugs or connection drops have to be attributed to unpolished and buggy software, because the hardware is perfectly capable.
    01-27-12 01:39 PM
    The problem, to me, isn't the data plan itself, per sey.
    The problem, which is 2 fold (once we acknowlegde that it's an underhanded way to eliminate grandfathered unlimited plans).

First, they are charging wayyyyyyyy too much for not enough data. This forces the "heavy hitters" to pay more, so they don't go over, or the "light users" to pay for plans they don't need, (again) so they don't go over. As has been mentioned in these walls, their web, text or call in (on how much data have I used/have left) is unpredictable and behind by hours (up to 12 hours behind, is what that post asserted - sorry I don't have a reference or link to it at the moment).

Second issue is the overages charges. Since the data usage is so unpredictable and behind the times one can easily be left holding the proverbial bag. It's writing several checks, then going to the ATM/online to check your balance. That balance isn't correct. And if that's how you do your banking, you will end up with bounced checks/charges.

I may not always agree with ATT, and they sometimes screw up - that's true (like anyone else, I maintain), but I'm sticking to my guns on the unlimited plan. And if, at any time, they change it without my knowledge or consent, they'll hear an earful from me. Sure, you may say it's their perrogative, but I think not. I have a binding contract, which is about 20 years old (or so).

And if I lose that battle, I'll change to "truly unlimited data" on Sprint.
    01-27-12 03:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD