My Bold 9700 stopped working 2 days ago. The BlackBerry is still operational because it rings when it receives calls and notifications the screen lights up as well. Everything works besides the keys. I tried to hold down the ALT key while rebooting and the ALT icon appeared during the startup. There has been no water damage and it hasn't been dropped. I tried to wipe and delete everything using the Loader.exe but it didn't help. What is going on?
    01-22-12 05:05 PM
    Weird because the same thing happened to my son's 9700 last week. It hadn't been dropped nor was there any water damage. Tried all the tricks you did. Fortunately, I have an extended warranty so it was replaced.
    01-24-12 09:08 AM
    This has something to do with the membrane or the board itself. Either see if a repair shop can fix it, or if you have some sort of an insurance policy, take advantage of it, once the repair shop can't do anything. Likely seems it's a bad membrane, or dislocated one.
    01-25-12 03:20 PM
    I actually fixed this problem by completely disassembling the phone making sure that the contacts were clear of dust and then when I put it back together it worked again. No idea what got stuck where to cause it to malfunction in the first place.
    02-06-12 10:23 PM
    could've been one of the side keys that got stuck ....when that happens it normally "shorts" out the whole keypad...

I have seen in worst case scenarios though where it's the IC thats responsible for functions such as keypad 'pressability' that goes haywire ....... in most cases the circuit board itself has to be replaced. In few cases, using a HEAT GUN and applying some heat in over that IC works ..... but as I said before, in most cases, board must be replaced

IF phone is under warranty, just get it replaced ......NEVER try to fix it yourself or take it to some other repair centre .... take it back to where you bought it
    02-07-12 07:05 AM
    I think waynetechberry is correct.
    I had the same problem and couldn't figure it out for a day or so. But then i noticed that the right convience key looked "a little different" than normal. It was slightly depressed. I found that a corner had become caught on the housing, causing it to be stuck. I was able to move the button around with my thumb, and it released from the housing. And just like that, the device came back to life!
    02-10-12 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD