WFTV.com
    Related To Story

* Video: Family Racks Up $19,370 Cell Phone Bill

Family Racks Up $19,370 Cell Phone Bill
    International Use Of AirCard Leads To Excessive Charges

POSTED: 11:38 am EDT September 4, 2008
    UPDATED: 6:51 pm EDT September 4, 2008

PORTLAND, Ore. -- A Portland family racked up nearly $20,000 on their AT&T bill, local station KPTV reported.

The Terry family said they wished they would have received some kind of warning before receiving their 200-page bill in the mail for $19,370.

In July, their son headed north to Vancouver, Canada, and used a laptop with an AirCard to send photos and e-mails back home. The bill showed he used the service 21 times, but because he was out of the country, the activity added up to thousands of dollars in charges.

The AirCard allows users to connect to e-mail, the Internet and business applications while traveling, according to AT&T's Web site. On the Terry family's bill, they were charged international fees for the service.

The Terry family said they asked an AT&T employee about the service before their son left the country. They said they were told nothing about international fees.

Dave Terry also said they were never contacted by the company to be alerted of the high fees.

"(We) have a bill that runs normally $250 to $300 for our cell phones," Terry said. "When AT&T saw the numbers getting over $1,000, I would think it's their responsibility to inform us that something was amiss because that card could have been stolen."

An AT&T representative said they're treating the matter seriously and looking into it. According to the company, they hope to have an answer for the family in the next few days.

09-05-08 05:10 PM
    WOW! Could you imagine?? I hope they get out of having to pay that bill- there's no way they should have to if they weren't told about those fees.
    09-05-08 05:19 PM
    I think the guy that sits there all day and stairs at the accounts should be fired for not noticing. For crying out loud, he took it out of the country. They should have looked into it more. If your stupid and don't know the law, you don't get a "get out of jail free" card.
    09-05-08 06:55 PM
    I think the guy that sits there all day and stairs at the accounts should be fired for not noticing. For crying out loud, he took it out of the country. They should have looked into it more. If your stupid and don't know the law, you don't get a "get out of jail free" card.
    If a company's policy is to charge you hundreds of dollars a day for it's product use, they should tell you that.

I learned a lesson from this story though... I'll always ask lots of questions from now on.
    09-05-08 07:06 PM
    That is insane. I hope they drop their charges down, because seriously over 19,000 and you would think they would at least warn them. It is not like they are rich.
    09-05-08 07:14 PM
    If AT&T is smart they will take care of this. 20k is nothing for a company that size. They should have warned him or something should have flagged an AT&T employee...
    09-05-08 07:17 PM
    They could eat it or kiss my
    09-05-08 07:24 PM
    First, anyone should know that international data roaming charges are gonna be pricey......even if its just going to Canada

Second, I can't see how using an aircard can end up with 20K in charges. Not over a short term.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-08 07:27 PM
    First, anyone should know that international data roaming charges are gonna be pricey......even if its just going to Canada

Second, I can't see how using an aircard can end up with 20K in charges. Not over a short term.

This has me a bit baffled too. I mean really. Were they charging him by the millisecond?
    09-05-08 07:32 PM
    The Terry Family: Um so....are you going to fix this for us? Or do we have to take out a second on our house (j/k)

AT&T Customer Service: Well we will be more than happy to knock half off of your bill so you only have to pay $9685 as long as you upgrade your account and extend your contract.
    09-05-08 07:33 PM
    Sounds like BS to me. First off, you wouldn't think you are charged roaming fees? Please! Everyone who travels should know that.

Second... how is AT&T suppose to warn them? It's not their network!!! This info doesn't get charged to them right away. The carrier the family was using is responsible for sending the usage/charge to AT&T, which sometimes can take up to two billing cycles.

09-05-08 10:18 PM
    Have any of you ever heard of personal accountability? Ignorance is not an excuse for irresponsibility. This is the problem with America today. Nobody takes responisbility for their actions.
    09-06-08 12:04 AM
    Man I couldn't even begin to imagine paying that much for there cellphone bill. thats crazy
    09-06-08 12:12 AM
    Dang!! I wonder if they tracked down that employee who didn't tell them about the international charges.

09-06-08 12:12 AM
    I find it kind of funny. There's times where it's understandable, to be ignorant, but this is just pushing it. Jayden said it, you're going to Canada and NOT expect charges? Seriously? Either way, information is very available to the customer to look up on their own.

Wireless International Rates | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

Now, if I would have taken this call, I would definitely be on their side. This is just my opinion. Also, we don't have content, of the previous call. Did they even MENTION international roaming? Have they gone before hand? Did they mention their laptop? Just because its on you're account, doesn't mean they're going to use it.

It will get credited due to misinformation, though. The employee will most likely get a coaching.
    09-06-08 12:20 AM
    This has me a bit baffled too. I mean really. Were they charging him by the millisecond?
    1,291,333.33~ KB / 1261.06770833~ MB / 1.231511433919270833~ GB would have to be transfered. The rate, per KB, is $0.015/KB, while in Canada. That's a lot of pictures, but is most likely not the full truth. That's like a mediocre/ high-end data user, from a CABLE connection.

There's no way this is on accident, either.
    09-06-08 12:26 AM
    This isn't the first time att did this they charged some lady $3,000 for her iphone bill so it doesn't surpise me.
    09-06-08 01:16 AM
    I also don't know why the kid used an aircard when high speed internet access is available in most hotels, sometimes for FREE.

09-06-08 06:01 AM
    The Terry Family: Um so....are you going to fix this for us? Or do we have to take out a second on our house (j/k)

AT&T Customer Service: Well we will be more than happy to knock half off of your bill so you only have to pay $9685 as long as you upgrade your account and extend your contract.
    Lol!

But yeah... no way he was just sending photos. Probably was using bit torrent.
    09-06-08 02:33 PM
    The Terry family said they wished they would have received some kind of warning before receiving their 200-page bill in the mail for $19,370.

In July, their son headed north to Vancouver, Canada, and used a laptop with an AirCard to send photos and e-mails back home. The bill showed he used the service 21 times, but because he was out of the country, the activity added up to thousands of dollars in charges.
    Doesn't sound to me like using the AirCard 21 times should make your bill be 200 pages. I know they are probably exaggerating, but sounds to me like he probably made a lot of phone calls while in roam also.
    09-08-08 12:46 PM
    That's why I don't leave the good ol' US of A! Just a regular computer tech with Blackberry personal and no reason to worry about it. I would have called first and told ATT I was going to Canada.

I don't think you can totally blame ATT here. Yes, they should make their policies clearer, but I've learned that in this life you have to take care of yourself. Anytime, ANYTIME you plan on using a wireless service outside your country of origin, you ask what's going on first.
    09-11-08 11:37 AM
    Well I agree with the comments made as well. But wouldn't the news station verify what is being said before they "bad" mouth At&t? I mean couldn't AT&T sue for slander if the news company and the family put a dent in there rep? Just looking at it from AT&T's side that's all. But I also agree that 200 pages is a bit much maybe he was sending pics to everyone he knew lol!! I'd so not pay it if I knew 100% I was correct. They record the conversation most of the time, I'd ask for a copy of that from the day I investigated on getting one. WOW! I'd die with that bill lol!!
    09-11-08 11:49 AM
    Just to add something to AT&T's reputation. AT&T has gone so far that if we (consumer care rep's.) get bad post call surveys (Are you satisfied, would you recommend to family.. etc) continually we will lose our job. Also, if we don't keep them high enough we get a write up.

They are very serious about the reputation and pleasing the customer.
    09-11-08 01:09 PM
    Have any of you ever heard of personal accountability? Ignorance is not an excuse for irresponsibility. This is the problem with America today. Nobody takes responisbility for their actions.
    You mean responsibilities like using spell check or just knowing how to spell period?

Just sayin'...
    Last edited by chhyeeaa; 09-12-08 at 12:55 PM.
    09-12-08 12:52 PM
    It's very easy to sit there and call people stupid when no one's calling attention to your spelling and grammar mistakes, right Redneck?
    09-12-08 12:54 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD