Today some BB blogs have stated likely release of OS2 on February 17th 2012 (all shown with a ? after the date)

blackberryos:
    BlackBerryOS.com - PlayBook OS 2.0 Set To Launch On Feb 17th?

"... just received information from sources that RIM has set a launch date for February 17th to release PlayBook OS 2.0 to the masses. "

berryreview:
    BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 Launching February 17th? - BerryReview

"I just received confirmation from a very solid source that RIM is committed & scheduled to launch PlayBook OS 2.0 on February 17th. That seems to jibe with everything else I have been hearing along with the rumor mill."
    Last edited by mandony; 01-20-12 at 08:13 PM.
    mithrazor, fire6 and bluetroll like this.
    01-20-12 08:07 PM
    Not sure if that's news, exactly. That date's been a pretty persistent rumor for a while.
    howarmat and peter9477 like this.
    01-20-12 08:10 PM
    Given that the first blog references the second blog it doesn't really make it more credible to list them both...
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-20-12 09:53 PM
    I have a feeling OS 2.0 will not include all the features promised. I see it being released with missing parts and a promise that more features are coming soon...

I fear they haven't tested the features with a large enough pool of testers, given that 7111 is less than a month away and still issues are plenty. Yes its a developer build, but how many consumers and business customers are testing the features we care about?

Time will tell.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-20-12 10:13 PM
    RIM better come close to what is expected for 2.0 or the they will never see my money again. I don't even own a BB phone. I bought the PlayBook as a toy for awhile because I got the 64GB for a low price. I think tablets are in a weird place when I bought it, so I decided to take a chance. As of right now, I wish I went with Ice Cream Sandwich. So this fiasco is my first experience with RIM... And undoubtedly my last if they don't deliver. In fact, they are demoing what 'looks' to be a ready OS 2.0 @ CES in January... Why can't they issue in January (far be it that they actually deliver early)? Because it is not quite ready yet, that is why. OK... they are trying to be perfect and get it right... right? [he says with a lump in his throught]. The teaser videos from CES looked pretty good, right? [although the latest beta is no where near the user features we are expecting to see and we are only a month out... gulp]. This is not a threat but a promise... but if 2.0 comes up short on the end user experience... then they are dead to me. And If I was a betting man... I would bet that even Goldman Sachs can't save them. You simply can't compete in this market and be this far behind (assuming they don't deliver). At some point you have to admit the ship is sinking. I hope that is not the case, but RIM is doing nothing right now to settle my uneasiness. They have been showing demos of their contact app for awhile now. The proof is in the pudding. As George Dubya Bush used to say, "fool me twice.... won't get fooled again".

As I am typing this, I'm really liking the autocorrect and predictive text. I will give you that RIM. But realize, that is not enough at this point. You are warned (from me at least).
    01-20-12 11:09 PM
    Why not wait until the release version before preaching doom and gloom. You can't judge a release version based on a developers preview beta.

I can't believe how many times this has to be repeated. Doesn't anybody read the license agreements and conditions before downloading and installing something that is clearly not intended for them.
    Last edited by rjedge54; 01-21-12 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    01-21-12 12:10 AM
    Seriously? Why preach doom and gloom? Are you kidding me? Have you not been paying attention for 9 months? This is not about the beta... it about the growing angst among Playbook customers and the slow progress RIM has made and their failure to deliver when it comes to the Playbook. Nobody cares about the beta... there shouldn't even be a beta anymore, it's been out for almost a year! They, and I, care about the initial capability that RIM has failed to deliver on. What about the state of the production OS? That is an even more sad story. Perception is reality my friend... and it is about time that RIM starts paying attention to it, especially to people like me. I'm not a die hard BB fan who will ride this one to the bottom of the ocean. But I am a paid customer who can voice his opinion. The people who keep making excuses for RIM are not doing them favors.
    DAnklaud and patpatiar like this.
    01-21-12 12:30 AM
    I have a feeling OS 2.0 will not include all the features promised. I see it being released with missing parts and a promise that more features are coming soon...

I fear they haven't tested the features with a large enough pool of testers, given that 7111 is less than a month away and still issues are plenty. Yes its a developer build, but how many consumers and business customers are testing the features we care about?

Time will tell.
    The only things that "aren't working" right in 7111 are things that relate to the pieces that are being held back.

What was shown in Vegas at CES last week is very likely representative of what we'll see next month. Apparently, on the 17th...
    01-21-12 12:31 AM
    Just because RIM released 7111 doesn't mean that's the only build they have. CES build was 7116 I believe, and I'm pretty sure that they are testing and creating more builds every day. If 2.0 official is released on the 17th, great. I personally think they will release it near the end of February, around MWC. Also sets me up for less disappointment if it's not released on the 17th.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-21-12 02:35 AM

Time will tell.
    How often do end users actually get to test any software before release? We've been extremely lucky to test pre released Dev software.
    01-21-12 08:08 AM
    How often do end users actually get to test any software before release? We've been extremely lucky to test pre released Dev software.
    Luck had very little to do with it. They had to release dev builds to survive. Can you imagine devs waiting all this time to see a semi finished product and then start developing for it?
    01-21-12 10:45 AM

Time will tell.
    Sounds like you are pissed because 7111 doesn't have all the features of 2.0 that you are expecting. I think you need to check the link on 7111 and re-read where it says it's a developer beta.

And if you want to test as an end user, you need to signup for Blackberry BetaZone and hope your selected. As a controlled test area where users who test can report bugs, a Project Manager can coordinate issues and fixes and developers/QA testers can verify with the public about a fix makes more sense than "download a beta and hope people who encounter issues report it to RIM and not on Crackberry".
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-21-12 11:35 AM
    RIM better come close to what is expected for 2.0 or the they will never see my money again. I don't even own a BB phone. I bought the PlayBook as a toy for awhile because I got the 64GB for a low price.
    Thats the problem. You think the Playbook is a toy. How about "I bought fish and chips as a prime rib because it was so cheap". Hahaha, "I'm not even hungry". Haha! "Before you flame me I gotta say that tarter sauce was tasty". Hahaha! "If that fish isnt served rare and bleeding, The Outback will never see my 50% off coupons again".
    01-21-12 02:04 PM
    Sounds like you are pissed because 7111 doesn't have all the features of 2.0 that you are expecting. I think you need to check the link on 7111 and re-read where it says it's a developer beta.

And if you want to test as an end user, you need to signup for Blackberry BetaZone and hope your selected. As a controlled test area where users who test can report bugs, a Project Manager can coordinate issues and fixes and developers/QA testers can verify with the public about a fix makes more sense than "download a beta and hope people who encounter issues report it to RIM and not on Crackberry".
    You asume to much. I personally don't have the time to be reporting bugs to RIM so I'm not pissed at all. It's just my observations of the Developer Betas, the previous build to 7111 all the things that were of core importance to me worked well.

With Feb just around the corner in mind, this build has added the improved keyword (to some parts of the experience), and perhaps in doing so has broken many things.

Previous builds I could log into CrackBerry, watch YouTube without the browser crashing, open Simple Browser + with it closing on startup, cursa stick was reliable, plus many others you can read on CB.

Notifications are still showing when I have no unread emails, icons still disappear, many of these issues are 9-10 months old, now a full email / PIM / Social content system is going to be released, gee I hope they have a larger testing team with better attention to detail than these developer Betas.

Ohhh, and to the person that says we should consider ourselves lucky to test this OS. Do a bit of research about the Beta testing done by the most used OS in the world, and yes, everyone and anyone could test and easily report back.

Edit: On the reporting back procedures, what a missed opportunity it is to not include logging software, bug reporting, feedback and comments application that the likes of CrackBerry enthusiasts could send in. Never see a crash report send request when the browser crashes do you?

Lack of testing and consumer feedback unfortunately has put #RIM in the position their in. Perhaps they should visit CrackBerry... Or better yet visit all the Mobile Nation forums...
    Last edited by Rgainsmi; 01-21-12 at 03:10 PM.
    popeyesmotto and patpatiar like this.
    01-21-12 02:58 PM
    Ohhh, and to the person that says we should consider ourselves lucky to test this OS. Do a bit of research about the Beta testing done by the most used OS in the world, and yes, everyone and anyone could test and easily report back.

Edit: On the reporting back procedures, what a missed opportunity it is to not include logging software, bug reporting, feedback and comments application that the likes of CrackBerry enthusiasts could send in. Never see a crash report send request when the browser crashes do you?

Lack of testing and consumer feedback unfortunately has put #RIM in the position their in. Perhaps they should visit CrackBerry... Or better yet visit all the Mobile Nation forums...
    RIM pushes out full featured betas with the exact bug reporting features you're talking about to their entire staff. The bug reporting is actually quite comprehensive, even capturing large amounts of system data to go with the user entered bug report. RIM has about 16,000-17,000 employees, that's a lot of beta testers.
    01-21-12 04:03 PM
    You asume to much. I personally don't have the time to be reporting bugs to RIM so I'm not pissed at all. It's just my observations of the Developer Betas, the previous build to 7111 all the things that were of core importance to me worked well.
    Edit: On the reporting back procedures, what a missed opportunity it is to not include logging software, bug reporting, feedback and comments application that the likes of CrackBerry enthusiasts could send in.
    I would say you assume equally as much.

Your an enthusiasts, so am I (which is why were on this forum). Just as you stated, you don't have the time to report bugs and neither do I. And if you look at the many other "enthusiasts" threads here with people complaining of issues but have not contacted RIM tech support, well I doubt those people would make great RC (release candidate) testers.

Never see a crash report send request when the browser crashes do you?
    My day job is an application developer. So not only do I see the send request, but I use them to troubleshoot and fix issues. But a MAJORITY of users who get this "please send this crash report" choose not to. As no one knows exactly what personally identifiable information is going across the NET. Is my BBID going across? Is it encrypted? Does it contain my history including form information.

Again it's not an END USER beta! It's a DEVELOPER BETA for us developers to test our applications.

Oh an Microsoft beta's (that are not leaked), are released to specific testers not the general public. Even after there beta, it goes to RTM (Release to Manufacturing) which again isn't the general public.

iOS 5.0 wasn't released to the public to beta test either AFAIK.

As for any bugs you encountered, yes I wouldn't be surprised if they are ironing out some issues. But no software is perfect, and if you believe otherwise, your being illusional...
    rjedge54 likes this.
    01-21-12 04:18 PM
    I still get a kick out of people getting mad because a stripped out and down developer beta OS is what they think the release OS is going to be like.
    01-21-12 04:27 PM
    Seriously? Why preach doom and gloom? Are you kidding me? Have you not been paying attention for 9 months? This is not about the beta... it about the growing angst among Playbook customers and the slow progress RIM has made and their failure to deliver when it comes to the Playbook. Nobody cares about the beta... there shouldn't even be a beta anymore, it's been out for almost a year! They, and I, care about the initial capability that RIM has failed to deliver on. What about the state of the production OS? That is an even more sad story. Perception is reality my friend... and it is about time that RIM starts paying attention to it, especially to people like me. I'm not a die hard BB fan who will ride this one to the bottom of the ocean. But I am a paid customer who can voice his opinion. The people who keep making excuses for RIM are not doing them favors.
    I say, go back to ICS. You won't find satisfaction with this device. I would never say I was making excuses for RIM, but since for me it's JUST A DEVICE, I'm happy to wait to see the finished product and still keep using this great device.

Stick with Android and we'll stick with QNX. I hope you find some satisfaction with a device.
    01-21-12 04:49 PM
    Lets revisit this thread once it's released. 16000 beta testers? I hope so, I doubt it very much though. Quick example, take a photo with your BlackBerry Phone and email it. Something most people are going to do. Now try it on your PlayBook.

Simple productive tasks made difficult or impossible.

Windows 7 - Public Beta released 10 January 2009, Rtm was built July 13th 2009. Get the facts. Thanks Wikipedia...
    Last edited by Rgainsmi; 01-21-12 at 05:36 PM.
    01-21-12 05:17 PM
    I will probably switch after this experience, even if 2.0 lives up to the hype. Just because my view of RIM is not very positive now. I'm not a person who got a free corporate BB from his job and fell in love with RIM. I represent the emerging market... The one who RIM was trying to expand to. I am a person who took a fresh, clean look at RIM from the Playbook alone. And my opinion, and others like me, matters to the future of RIM. And it is not good. I have long found Apple fanboys to be annoying snobs and that their products are overpriced. But one thing I can say about them is that their master serves them well. In roughly the same time OS 2.0 comes out and the Playbook finally gets native email, calendar, and a bunch of other things that it should of had awhile ago... Apple will have gone from IPAD2, to a major iOS upgrade, to IPAD3. That is what RIM's competitors are doing. You don't have to pay attention to what I'm saying, but RIM should. They will never move past their BB attached base otherwise. And judging by their sub $20 stock price... When they were over $100 not too long ago... They are losing. My advice to you all is not just just say, oh well... we'll just wait it out and be good supporters of RIM. You should be demanding more... At least close to what the competitors are putting out. Writing them and telling them to improve this device faster and give suggestions how. Letting them know that the loyal base is upset. By not doing that, you are just making this a slow bleed.
    01-21-12 05:40 PM
    I absolutely love this device!! Is it worth 5-6-or even 700$ imo no. But at the current sales prices it is a steal!! Os2 wont disappoint me because i am happy with what i have any more is just icing on an already sweet cake!!
    steppinghorse likes this.
    01-21-12 06:47 PM
    Lets revisit this thread once it's released. 16000 beta testers? I hope so, I doubt it very much though. Quick example, take a photo with your BlackBerry Phone and email it. Something most people are going to do. Now try it on your PlayBook.
    Two things:

1) I'm quite certain that RIM does make betas available to the entire company. Staff were instructed to upgrade to OS 2.0 in early October before Devcon. That's a large number of testers on a long beta cycle.

2) Beta testers are there to test if functionality works. The ability to email photos from inside the app is a feature decision, not something for beta testers. Your example is completely irrelevant. I'm certain RIM considers that an important feature, but first they have to implement the email client, that's what OS 2.0 does. We'll probably see that feature in OS 2.1 or 2.2.

It's also hardly difficult to email a photo from the PB. I just tired it. I opened my email, tapped new message, tapped attach, and select my photo. It worked, just like I expected it to. Would having a shortcut in the photos app be useful? Absolutely, you'll get no argument from me that it'd be good. But you seem to be suggesting the PB can't email a photo, when in reality it can, and it works exactly like it does on your laptop. Somehow people manage to do this on laptops every day, open their email client and send a photo, I'm certain it's not that far fetched they could do it on the PB too.
    01-21-12 06:54 PM
    Two things:

1) I'm quite certain that RIM does make betas available to the entire company. Staff were instructed to upgrade to OS 2.0 in early October before Devcon. That's a large number of testers on a long beta cycle.

2) Beta testers are there to test if functionality works. The ability to email photos from inside the app is a feature decision, not something for beta testers. Your example is completely irrelevant. I'm certain RIM considers that an important feature, but first they have to implement the email client, that's what OS 2.0 does. We'll probably see that feature in OS 2.1 or 2.2.

It's also hardly difficult to email a photo from the PB. I just tired it. I opened my email, tapped new message, tapped attach, and select my photo. It worked, just like I expected it to. Would having a shortcut in the photos app be useful? Absolutely, you'll get no argument from me that it'd be good. But you seem to be suggesting the PB can't email a photo, when in reality it can, and it works exactly like it does on your laptop. Somehow people manage to do this on laptops every day, open their email client and send a photo, I'm certain it's not that far fetched they could do it on the PB too.
    This is fun...

"Beta testers are there to test if functionality works."
    I disagree, maybe a poor Beta tester will do this and this alone but with a bit more effort they will look at work flow and convenience for the end user to suggest a simpler cleaner and more functional method of achieving the same outcome.

This is also another case in point of what I was saying previously about the qty of testers. If you like me have 3920 photos on their PlayBook you will realize the method of attaching a picture is extremely frustrating. No folders like the Gallery, No most recent photo at the top of the long list, no way of dragging the current position down to the bottom.

Feature will need to wait for 2.1 or 2.0? Go to the browser and hold your finger down on a link. What does it reveal? A menu, why we can't have that hold to reveal menu for the Gallery. They have a similar feature in the Browser.

Ohh, and comparing it to your laptop, the ability to copy and paste, right click sent to, drag and drop, so many ways to attach photos.

Lets see what happens when 2.0 comes out. Fingers crossed those that test these things have been subjective come up with something we're all happy with.

I must say the Keyboard is fantastic! Certainly some leap frogging in this regard!
    01-21-12 09:16 PM

It's also hardly difficult to email a photo from the PB. I just tired it. I opened my email, tapped new message, tapped attach, and select my photo. It worked, just like I expected it to.
    True true true ... I do it every day using BB bridge. It is also true that non-BB phone users are the first to criticize the PB because they can not bridge for email.
    One big advantage of email attachments from PB is to select files on BB phone and PB memories.
    9of13 likes this.
    01-21-12 09:24 PM
    True true true ... I do it every day using BB bridge. It is also true that non-BB phone users are the first to criticize the PB because they can not bridge for email.
    One big advantage of email attachments from PB is to select files on BB phone and PB memories.
    I was just about to type a similar response.
    i do have an honest question, what other tablets out there have native email?
    01-21-12 10:33 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD