Hello addicts,

I have been wanting to upgrade my 9700 to the 9900 for some time now. Before I do so I have a few questions about the 9900. Here they are:

- what is this "bricking" issue that is related to this phone? has the problem been corrected?

- anything on the rumor mill or facts that at&t will offer any rebates? from my experience with at&t rebates should have been offered already.

- we are all crackberry addicts but nothing is perfect so what are some flaws with the 9900?

- for those that had the 9700 and upgraded to 9900 - how do you like it and how is the new experience?

thank you all in advance for your inputs.
    01-20-12 04:42 PM
    Bricking?? What's that? Lol... Seriously, nothing to worry about.. but if your phone is bricked, there are sooo much infos on this forum that would help to unbrick it.

The downside from going from 9700 to 9900 is the battery usuage, that's it.

For me, my experience going from 9700 to 9900 is that I never look back.. 9900 is just what a most BB addicts would want.
    01-20-12 05:13 PM
    Bricking is still a valid issue. I havent had one on my 9900 but ive had a few people i work with whose bricked as recently as this past tuesday
    01-20-12 05:18 PM
    Bricking is only an issue if it happens to you, which it probably won't, so it's not an issue.
    01-20-12 05:22 PM
    Well I thini ti would be a great phone for u coming from a bold already and the bricking well I don't have any problems with that on my phone but I was coming from a torch 9800 and I love that the bold os and toucscreen is so much faster with the bold 9900 and the keyboard is amazing to type on and the screen is decent size to navigate with the hd video recording is a plus and feel light and thin in the hands
    01-20-12 05:34 PM
    I went from the 9700 to the 9900 on ATT. No bricking issues what so ever. Battery life is something to be desired but that hopefully will be fixed the next update I hear is in the mix now to a version of 7.1. And let me tell you you will LOVE the bigger keyboard and everything. I didn't think I'd like th but I don't think I could go without it now. The keyboard is something I have been dying for because I always thought the 9700's was too small.
    01-20-12 06:19 PM
    I miss the form factor, and battery on my 9700. =\
    01-20-12 06:21 PM
    I switched from the 9700 to the 9900. I love it. The keyboard is amazing, the phone is fast with a great screen and the touch/type combo is fantastic in my opinion. The browser is very nice and so are the speakers. The battery life is not as good as the 9700 but if you get an OS that your phone agrees with it is close enough. I have no complaints there. The camera is not autofocus but I haven't had any issues...I actually prefer the quick shot aspect of it. I'm very happy with the switch personally. I loved my 9700 and used it for almost two years but I love the 9900 more. It is a great device. But...people are having issues with bricking. I think it is a legitimate concern. You can always replace it with your warranty if it happens but I think it is happening enough to consider it when you make your decision.
    01-20-12 06:29 PM
    I went from 8320>9700>9780>9900. It's all about the keyboard. The 9900 is bigger and I had no problem getting used to the keyboard. I had to get used to the touch screen/track pad combo. I had gotten used to making long swipes over the pad to scroll. Can't do that any more because as soon as you touch that screen your cursor moves and/or touches a link.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-12 07:40 PM
    The bricking is still an issue and a complete PITA however even though inconvenient, your carrier will replace the device. Bottom line is the positives outweigh the negatives by a few centuries. Definitely upgrade, you won't regret it.
    grover5 likes this.
    01-20-12 07:53 PM
    Hello addicts,

I have been wanting to upgrade my 9700 to the 9900 for some time now. Before I do so I have a few questions about the 9900. Here they are:

- what is this "bricking" issue that is related to this phone? has the problem been corrected?

- anything on the rumor mill or facts that at&t will offer any rebates? from my experience with at&t rebates should have been offered already.

- we are all crackberry addicts but nothing is perfect so what are some flaws with the 9900?

- for those that had the 9700 and upgraded to 9900 - how do you like it and how is the new experience?

thank you all in advance for your inputs.
    I'm not going to post anything that hasn't been said already, but I'm saying it my way:

- There appears to be a rather a lot of 99XX models that die. Really die. Not just go into a coma and come back when you breath life into them, but really die, dead. But don't worry about it. I've had my 9900 since they went on sale. It may die tonight or tomorrow, it's under warranty, I'll go get another.

- Don't know about rebates. But don't care. Read below.

- Flaws? None in my case. Disappointments? Agree, battery life isn't what you'd expect from a BlackBerry. Search. People are claiming different ways of getting "normal" battery life. My advice, top off whenever you can. Worst case, carry a spare battery if you have to.

- I went from a 9700 to the 9900. The 9700 was the best BlackBerry I ever used. Now the 9900 is the best BlackBerry I ever used. The new browser used in conjuction with the touch screen is the BIG improvement, in my opinion anyway.

- Again, I love it. All the positives make up for the battery life, and the battery life isn't as bad as it may sound (it is worse for a longtime BlackBerry user, especially compared to the 9700, but not really that bad in the bigger scheme of things).
    01-20-12 08:17 PM
    I'm not sure on the 9900's, but on our 9930's at work, I have had to return several that have bricked. What would happen on everyone of these is that the person would put their phone on the charger before bed, and in the morning all that would have is the blinking red LED. It's like we received a bad batch or something. It's happened to most of them, but so far the replacement ones have worked perfect...*knock on wood* lol
    01-20-12 08:51 PM
    Got my new 9930 yesterday to replace a Style that had a broken charging port. Despite all the negative press, the Style was the best bb I ever owned - never gave me a problem. Didn't think I'd like going back to a candy bar phone but I gotta say, I LOVE this thing. Just being careful about what apps I load and not letting battery get too low. I also charge during the day so I can keep an eye on it. Sad that I have to worry about a new bb bricking, but such is the case - at least for now.
    01-20-12 10:03 PM
    Bricking is only an issue if it happens to you, which it probably won't, so it's not an issue.
    Ooohhhh! Now I know why RIM hasn't addressed the (non)issue! Thanks
    01-20-12 10:27 PM
    great to hear all the positives. i'll most likely pick up the 9900 within the next week or so. hopefully i get one that doesn't brick but as mentioned the warranty and future OS updates will rectify the issue.

i'll keep everyone posted.
    01-21-12 12:03 AM
    Your questions have probably been answered... but I'll share my input if you don't mind.

--bricking seems to have been fixed with the 7.1 OS update. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with it (except for people's devices bricking during the update process, but this is rare)

--honestly not sure. But the device has definitely been lowered in price quite a bit since its release.

--camera isn't great for inside/text/up close pics, but I personally love it for landscape pictures and I've found my own way of making inside/text/close up pics respectable.
    --gaming obviously isn't great... but if you are even looking at a BB, you probably aren't a huge phone gamer or you have other means of phone gaming (ipad/ipod touch/droid tablet/etc).
    --Can't really think of any other flaws I have. Except that there is no official Theme Builder yet, so the themes that are out aren't perfect and have some bugs.

--I upgraded from a 9650, which is pretty close to the 9700. Keyboard is night and day better on the 99XX imo and even though the screen is only slightly better, it seems huge compared to the old Bold series screen. Touch screen is an AMAZING addition (but I've used touchscreens since I got a smartphone... had the storm series and have always had an iPod Touch since the 1st gen was released). Speed and performance is also night and day. I was pulling my battery on my 9650 every night and that phone was SLOW constantly... I have probably twice as many apps/themes/etc loaded on my 9930 and the device is blazing fast for me. Browsing is a blast and navigating through the device is extremely fluid. I maybe pull the battery once a week just to do a refresh.

Bottom line, coming from the old Bold series, you should be pleasantly surprised.
    01-21-12 12:39 AM
    Omg this must be a joke!

Going from 9700 to the 9900 are miles apart!

I was afraid of the brick issue too but I caved in and just went for it, sometimes life is just better going for something and not over think it.

It's officially a week that I got my 9900 I can't even look at my 9700, u will be more of an addict if u already ooved the keyboard.

Look, the bottom line is this, go get this phone and stop stressing yourself over the little things, you will absolutely freaking love the phone and won't even look twice at ur old 9700.
    01-21-12 03:34 AM
    I also went from the 9700 to the 9900 just last December. The 9900 is an awesome smart phone. It does what its suppose to do, at its best.

The only two things that you have to watch out for are: battery life and no auto focus. Other than those, it is a great, if not awesome, upgrade.
    01-21-12 04:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD