I have been searching for an answer from Skype regarding them releasing it on the Playbook and after much searching and asking on their own forums I finally received an answer on Twitter.

here is the response that I was given
    "Hi Jonathan, unfort. we cannot comment on possible future releases, but we're not working on further BB support at this time. ^SK"

Time to look for another solution/provider. I can't believe that they developed an app for the HP Touchpad and they wont for the Playbook????

jedibeeftrix likes this.
    01-19-12 09:36 AM
    I think they must have backed themselves into a corner when they went to bed with Verizon and developed a Skype app for BBs on Verizon only.
    75 million customers is a huge amount to skip.
    flash24 likes this.
    01-19-12 09:43 AM
    No biggie for me. Never have used it, don't need or want it. I wish they would though for those that seem to think they cannot live without it and any platform without it sucks.
    flash24 likes this.
    01-19-12 09:46 AM
    Funny, someone confirmed from a posting by n4bb guy that RIM execs mentioned to him Skype is on its way to playbook.
    01-19-12 09:55 AM
    I do a lot of travelling for work and use or should I say used Skype to talk to my family. I will be using something else from now on.
    01-19-12 09:56 AM
    We probably wont see a Skype native application until the sales of the Playbook increase. The rumoured playbook iterations with cellular hardware might help this cause should they ever come to fruition, but for Blackberry handhelds, there is little incentive for Skype.

The vast majority of Blackberry users are enterprise customers and I suspect that enterprise IT groups have little use for Skype when they have professional VOIP/Video Conferencing applications at their disposal. This may be less so for small to medium businesses and perhaps with increased support from these businesses, the user base can make a more unified request to bring Skype to the platform.
    01-19-12 09:58 AM
    I guess that makes this even more important :Tango on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet : Tango Support Center

Please take the time to sign up and vote!
    01-19-12 10:21 AM
    I force downloaded the Skype App on my BB 9900. The App launches and then quits afer telling me that its only for Verizon Phones.

Thing is that means Skype already has the App for BB developed but someone at Skyp slept with some senior Verizon exec and now they can't distribute. Imagine the first day downloads and subscriptions if Skype opens up on BB.
    01-19-12 10:43 AM
    I have been searching for an answer from Skype regarding them releasing it on the Playbook and after much searching and asking on their own forums I finally received an answer on Twitter.

"Hi Jonathan, unfort. we cannot comment on possible future releases, but we're not working on further BB support at this time. ^SK"

Time to look for another solution/provider. I can't believe that they developed an app for the HP Touchpad and they wont for the Playbook????

you need to understand that skype might be [i think it is] in development for pb but no customer service representative will tell you that in email. they are not authorized to talk about things that are unannounced. but keep sending them emails. this is something that for sure might help if has not already helped
    01-19-12 10:50 AM
    tango looks like a cool app i hope they make that for us pb users
    01-19-12 10:55 AM
    you need to understand that skype might be [i think it is] in development for pb but no customer service representative will tell you that in email. they are not authorized to talk about things that are unannounced. but keep sending them emails. this is something that for sure might help if has not already helped

This was a response from Twitter....I am not sure if they would allow just anyone to respond to that type of a question.
    01-19-12 10:56 AM

Nothing new here ... Back in July 2011 ...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...e-soon-631406/

regarding searching ...

Last edited by Briard; 01-19-12 at 11:10 AM.
    ignites likes this.
    01-19-12 11:06 AM
    Funny, someone confirmed from a posting by n4bb guy that RIM execs mentioned to him Skype is on its way to playbook.
    It is - Skype will be available for the PlayBook shortly via the Android Player.
    01-19-12 11:08 AM
    Often, when users comment here on their use of Skype it is seen as an 'after work' program for keeping in touch with their families etc. But for many companies Skype is part of their every working day. Just before writing this post I received 3 proofs of a marketing campaign via Skype at my desk whilst discussing details on a video call with my head of graphics who is working remotely. There are many firms for whom it is an integral part of their day and there is an impact to losing it on the move with mobile devices. In our early formative years part of our oversees distributor welcome pack was a webcam and a Skype telephone since we had international networks but international phone bills hit hard. Skype is now part of my company's history and infrastructure. I COULD live without it but would miss it and would have to spend months unravelling the infrastructure we've developed over 7 years....or I could just go to another platform for Skype and keep customers, everyone in my department and our tech support guys happy.... hello RIM?....
    01-19-12 11:08 AM
    Maybe Skype is doing something with html5 and everyone will have it

I can see html5 really taking off as today I read we're about to get a new standard that will give us MUCH faster speeds
    vectrac19 and cafemag like this.
    01-19-12 11:09 AM
    As quoted by Lucas Atkins. Founder of N4BB, formerly Blackberry Leaks

" I also met with RIM’s VP for securing leading apps to the BlackBerry platform. You can expect to see Skype and much more in the near future."

This was taken from his comment , in the comments section of the article link provided below....I trust that he is correct. Lucas Atkins has a nearly 99.99 % credibility in terms of providing accurate info pertaining to BB. Skype is owned by Microsoft, and Skype was only made available to Windows Phone recently. IMHO I expect many offerings from Microsoft to be made available soon for the PB, as well future BB10 offerings

http://n4bb.com/coming-7-10-playbook...0-phone-curves

Microsoft and RIM currently have a strategic partnership. Microsoft owns Skype....It would be foolish to believe that Skype won't be supported in the future.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 01-19-12 at 11:49 AM.
    Thunderbuck and si_chindo like this.
    01-19-12 11:42 AM
    Well, Skype is not on Windows Phone either. Just an FYI. Tango, yes. Skype, no. Not yet atleaat.
    01-19-12 11:45 AM
    I would much rather see Google+ Hangouts support on PlayBook. I find it to be so much more useful than Skype and it's FREE!

Recently, I had a 6 person group meeting. When internet died on one of the participants, we were able to call her phone and the quality was crystal clear.
    01-19-12 11:54 AM
    Remember, Skype is now Microsoft.

Microsoft is considering all non windows tablets a direct threat to their Monopoly.
    01-19-12 01:42 PM
    RIM should have arranged for Skype before the Playbook launch--I believe that's what HP did for the Touchpad. I'm afraid now the Skype people are taking a wait-and-see attitude as to whether the Playbook survives. But, moving forward... Is there any other program that is Skype-compatible, that is, that can communicate with Skype?
    01-19-12 02:44 PM
    Remember, Skype is now Microsoft.

Microsoft is considering all non windows tablets a direct threat to their Monopoly.
    Cynical much? Bigger companies work cross-platform all the time. The REAL bottom line is users, and that's likely what the holdup has been for lots of stuff on the PB wishlist.

It's also likely the biggest reason for RIM's deep discounts on PBs. The devs have likely told RIM something like, "sure, we'll release [Netflix, Skype, Zinio, etc] on the Playbook, but you'll need to have x users to make it worth our while.". It's that whole chicken/egg thing, and the easiest way for RIM to fix it on more than a case-by-case basis was to pump as many devices out there as they could manage.

As soon as Microsoft's magic number is hit, we'll see Skype released.
    01-19-12 03:12 PM
    Cynical much? Bigger companies work cross-platform all the time. The REAL bottom line is users, and that's likely what the holdup has been for lots of stuff on the PB wishlist.

It's also likely the biggest reason for RIM's deep discounts on PBs. The devs have likely told RIM something like, "sure, we'll release [Netflix, Skype, Zinio, etc] on the Playbook, but you'll need to have x users to make it worth our while.". It's that whole chicken/egg thing, and the easiest way for RIM to fix it on more than a case-by-case basis was to pump as many devices out there as they could manage.

As soon as Microsoft's magic number is hit, we'll see Skype released.
    What magic number did WebOS reach to get Skype? I think PB threatens Wincrap on Tablets while the WebOS was destined for failure, so MS did some future hedging and developed for a dead OS so that they wont be dragged to Anti trust courts.
    01-19-12 03:25 PM
    It could be that Skype is waiting to be released when OS2.0 comes out.

Makes sense. A RIM rep even said there will be 1000s of apps available when OS2.0 comes out. How many will be Android and how many will be for native? I don't know. But if it is to come out, it would be then.

All I know is I can't wait til DevCon comes around.
    01-19-12 03:35 PM
    As quoted by Lucas Atkins. Founder of N4BB, formerly Blackberry Leaks

" I also met with RIM�s VP for securing leading apps to the BlackBerry platform. You can expect to see Skype and much more in the near future."

This was taken from his comment , in the comments section of the article link provided below....I trust that he is correct. Lucas Atkins has a nearly 99.99 % credibility in terms of providing accurate info pertaining to BB. Skype is owned by Microsoft, and Skype was only made available to Windows Phone recently. IMHO I expect many offerings from Microsoft to be made available soon for the PB, as well future BB10 offerings

What’s Coming? New 7″ & 10″ PlayBook, One BlackBerry 10 Phone, Two Curves and More | N4BB - News for BlackBerry - leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

Microsoft and RIM currently have a strategic partnership. Microsoft owns Skype....It would be foolish to believe that Skype won't be supported in the future.
    n4bb also leaked last week (before bgr) that samsung was going to buy rim... lol.
    Anonymous94587689 likes this.
    01-19-12 03:44 PM
    n4bb also leaked last week (before bgr) that samsung was going to buy rim... lol.
    Actually, the story came from BGR's 'boy genius', it then made it to N4BB and the others sites, including this one followed.
    01-19-12 04:20 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD