So I just got an email from gdgt.com saying that RIM should abandon BB10 and just start using Android or Windows Phone. This crap makes me mad. Who do they think they are? Why would they think I care in the first place? I guess I better read their privacy policy and see if I have been targeted based on what I own and have shared on their site. I wonder who is paying them to do this? What would they gain by losing a mobile electronics manufacturer unless they were being paid to send out an email like this?

"It's time for RIM to abandon BlackBerry 10 and adopt either Android or Windows Phone. It doesn't matter that PlayBook 2.0 received some better-than-expected press coverage at CES last week, or that there have been some interesting hints here and there about what the first phones running RIM's new mobile OS will look like. And while it's bad enough that the first phones running BlackBerry 10 won't ship until sometime around the end of the year, the real problem is that even if RIM started shipping phones tomorrow with an OS that could hold a candle to iOS, Android, and Windows Phone, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference. RIM would still be in very serious trouble."

http://gdgt.com/discuss/it-s-time-for-rim-to-abandon-blackberry-10-and-adopt-either-android-or-windows-phone-iaf/?utm_source=gdgt+newsletter&utm_campaign=6a7b83468 0-Newsletter+%2F+2012-01-17&utm_medium=email

Again, I received this as an email directly from their site...

Angry,
    Last edited by captainbdsc; 01-18-12 at 10:01 AM.
    01-18-12 09:40 AM
    Here is a recap of what they are saying

"assimilate or DIE!"

they should rename android to cyborg....

BB10 is going to be the best thing from rim and the best mobile os, i think people are afraid of qnx because it is a lot more capable then what is currently out.
    blue-b, CDM76, Mecca EL and 1 others like this.
    01-18-12 09:58 AM
    Resistance is futile, eh?

BTW, thanks for adding story info and denying them hits.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 01-18-12 at 10:01 AM.
    01-18-12 09:59 AM
    Well there's Moe and Larry. All thats missing is curley.
    01-18-12 10:21 AM
    Resistance is futile, eh?

Click to view quoted image

BTW, thanks for adding story info and denying them hits.
    Yeah, well... I guess I am as dumb as them eh? Thanks for reminding me... Haha
    01-18-12 10:24 AM
    So I just got an email from gdgt.com saying that RIM should abandon BB10 and just start using Android or Windows Phone. This crap makes me mad. Who do they think they are? Why would they think I care in the first place?
    I'm just spitballing here, but it's possible they think you care because you signed up to receive their e-mail newsletter. Just saying.
    brucep1 likes this.
    01-18-12 10:27 AM
    I'm just spitballing here, but it's possible they think you care because you signed up to receive their e-mail newsletter. Just saying.
    Are they paying you to say that?
    01-18-12 10:31 AM
    That is true I did. But did they send this newsletter to everyone? Also, I have been signed up for about 2 months and have never received a newsletter before. Just a coincidence that it happened to be an anti-BlackBerry?
    01-18-12 10:32 AM
    Hey guys, I guess I just need to apologize for posting this. I didn't realize I'd be promoting the competition. I just wanted to vent. Does anyone know how I go about having this thread deleted?
    01-18-12 10:36 AM
    Well there's Moe and Larry. All thats missing is curley.
    C'mon! Let's not insult Moe and Larry like that.
    01-18-12 10:47 AM
    wtf is gdgt? never even heard of this.
    01-18-12 10:54 AM
    Hey guys, I guess I just need to apologize for posting this. I didn't realize I'd be promoting the competition. I just wanted to vent. Does anyone know how I go about having this thread deleted?
    Don't worry about it, we are not that insecure about are os and phone choice.
    bluetroll, si_chindo and Mecca EL like this.
    01-18-12 11:07 AM
    Guys, Ryan and Peter are two of the most influential and respected names in tech journalism. The best tech sites around were either created by them, or heavily influenced by them. You simply have to face the fact that there are no credible tech journalists who believe in RIM right now, and for very good reasons.

My recommendation is that you set your browser of choice to crackberry.com and delete all other bookmarks for the time being. Unfortunately, once you start listening to the crackberry podcast and hear what the guys have to say about this stuff, you will be forced to delete that bookmark as well.
    01-18-12 12:01 PM
    I'm so sick of hearing about Windows Phone. It is the OS that is so great that no one buys it. Still have yet to see a single phone be used in the wild. Sure RIM goes Windows Phone or Android and I'll switch to Apple.

RIM is too far into the transition to BB10 to switch now. Performing another transition before this one is completed would be certain death because it would take a ton of time to secure Android and port the apps over to it. Look at the difficulty in porting over to an OS that they own.
    01-18-12 01:55 PM
    I don't care how respected they (think they) are; it's still a stupid idea.
    recompile, Mecca EL and bigbmc26 like this.
    01-18-12 02:01 PM
    There's a similar article on zdnet. It's just as stupid.

BB10 is simply the most advanced and capable mobile OS on the market. RIM's OS is already where Android and iOS needs to be to take advantage of the next generation of hardware and to provide features that smartphone users have been demanding for years.

Moving to Android would be a massive step backward. When you have the better technology, you don't throw it away and get in line behind your competitors!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-18-12 02:28 PM
    I'm so sick of hearing about Windows Phone. It is the OS that is so great that no one buys it.
    This comment could also be applicable to the PlayBook, no?
    01-18-12 02:33 PM
    Guys, Ryan and Peter are two of the most influential and respected names in tech journalism. The best tech sites around were either created by them, or heavily influenced by them. You simply have to face the fact that there are no credible tech journalists who believe in RIM right now, and for very good reasons.

My recommendation is that you set your browser of choice to crackberry.com and delete all other bookmarks for the time being. Unfortunately, once you start listening to the crackberry podcast and hear what the guys have to say about this stuff, you will be forced to delete that bookmark as well.
    Nah... I think they need to create their very own republic, where only flowery pro-RIM rhetoric is piped through QNX-powered TV sets.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-18-12 02:37 PM
    So I just got an email from gdgt.com saying that RIM should abandon BB10 and just start using Android or Windows Phone. This crap makes me mad. Who do they think they are? Why would they think I care in the first place? I guess I better read their privacy policy and see if I have been targeted based on what I own and have shared on their site. I wonder who is paying them to do this? What would they gain by losing a mobile electronics manufacturer unless they were being paid to send out an email like this?

"It's time for RIM to abandon BlackBerry 10 and adopt either Android or Windows Phone. It doesn't matter that PlayBook 2.0 received some better-than-expected press coverage at CES last week, or that there have been some interesting hints here and there about what the first phones running RIM's new mobile OS will look like. And while it's bad enough that the first phones running BlackBerry 10 won't ship until sometime around the end of the year, the real problem is that even if RIM started shipping phones tomorrow with an OS that could hold a candle to iOS, Android, and Windows Phone, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference. RIM would still be in very serious trouble."

It's time for RIM to abandon BlackBerry 10 and adopt either Android or Windows Phone - gdgt

Again, I received this as an email directly from their site...

Angry,
    Having been a life long Mets fan, in a city ruled by the Yankees, might I suggest that some of you grow a thicker skin?

The way some of posters here react to press, you'd think someone had made a joke about your mothers. LOL!!

Relax, Relate, Release! Woosah!!!

See, life goes on...
    blue-b, grover5, Mecca EL and 2 others like this.
    01-18-12 02:43 PM
    Having been a life long Mets fan, in a city ruled by the Yankees, might I suggest that some of you grow a thicker skin?

The way some of posters here react to press, you'd think someone had made a joke about your mothers. LOL!!

See, life goes on...
    +1

RIM's in a tough spot right now, and it's the kind of tough spot that requires putting EVERYTHING on the table, BB10 included. I don't agree with the gdgt piece, but I respect the point of view.

Personally, I think the process has gone too far, and the implications of just dropping BB10 are a little scary. Essentially, if RIM follows this suggestion, they might as well just close up shop now; this post seems to advocate walking away from their current business.

I also think that to just assume the market is going to be iOS, Android, and WP period is a little narrow. What RIM gets with BB10 is an OS that Android developers can easily access, but still provides a stronger security profile.

All of this considered, I agree that to simply bash people who disagree doesn't accomplish anything. I do, however, reserve the right to question critics who either don't do their research or stretch the truth (certain BGR posts come to mind here).
    01-18-12 02:57 PM

See, life goes on...
    I remember the "Miracle Mets".
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-18-12 03:43 PM
    I remember the "Miracle Mets".
    Right on Brother! The 69 Mets!
    01-18-12 03:47 PM
    I don't want to be accused of thread-jacking, but it seems we can only go so far discussing the people who had the idea rather than the idea, itself. Let's consider the proposition that RIM should abandon BB10 for something else.

First, I don't think it is crazy to believe that. Just yesterday, this site was all abuzz over the idea of Samsung buying RIM. That, most likely would have been the end of BB10. It made perfect sense at the time. Why not now? A lot of smart people believe that is the way to go. I'm not sure I am one of them, but the idea is not crazy.

What if the PB had launched with a highly skinned version of Android as did the KF? What if it could run all the Android apps and had all the Amazon services. People would not even know it was Android underneath. It could have been skinned to behave just like the current interface. Is this crazy? I don't think so.

Now, imagine the phones working the same way: a QNX skin over an Android OS, over the BB backbone. The phones would already be out on the market. I'm no programer. I don't know if such a franken-phone is possible, but all the pieces seem to be in place.

True, it wouldn't be the BB you have come to know and love. Then again, the BB10 phones that RIM has planned won't be the BB you have come to know and love either. Look at your beloved BB phone that you have. That is a dead-end product with no place in the brave new BB world. The RIM that made that phone is already dead. They will never make anything like that again. Did I hear that they will be using MS Active Sync moving forward? If they can do that because it is a better solution that gets them where they want to be faster, why shouldn't they consider Android elements in the same way?
    01-18-12 04:46 PM
    I don't want to be accused of thread-jacking, but it seems we can only go so far discussing the people who had the idea rather than the idea, itself. Let's consider the proposition that RIM should abandon BB10 for something else.

First, I don't think it is crazy to believe that. Just yesterday, this site was all abuzz over the idea of Samsung buying RIM. That, most likely would have been the end of BB10. It made perfect sense at the time. Why not now? A lot of smart people believe that is the way to go. I'm not sure I am one of them, but the idea is not crazy.

What if the PB had launched with a highly skinned version of Android as did the KF? What if it could run all the Android apps and had all the Amazon services. People would not even know it was Android underneath. It could have been skinned to behave just like the current interface. Is this crazy? I don't think so.

Now, imagine the phones working the same way: a QNX skin over an Android OS, over the BB backbone. The phones would already be out on the market. I'm no programer. I don't know if such a franken-phone is possible, but all the pieces seem to be in place.

True, it wouldn't be the BB you have come to know and love. Then again, the BB10 phones that RIM has planned won't be the BB you have come to know and love either. Look at your beloved BB phone that you have. That is a dead-end product with no place in the brave new BB world. The RIM that made that phone is already dead. They will never make anything like that again. Did I hear that they will be using MS Active Sync moving forward? If they can do that because it is a better solution that gets them where they want to be faster, why shouldn't they consider Android elements in the same way?
    A "skinned" Android on Playbook and phone would only make RIM an Android wannabe. No new features. RIM's proven marketing track record driving them into the ground. No thanks.
    01-18-12 05:07 PM
    Guys, Ryan and Peter are two of the most influential and respected names in tech journalism.
    So influential in fact that I've never heard of them.

Any clown can be a tech journalist. All you need is a blog.
    maddie1128 and recompile like this.
    01-18-12 05:08 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD