hey guys,

first off i should say that i love my playbook (typing this on it now actually) i just have a couple issues that drive me crazy (other than the back bulge and the browser crashes that other people notice).

my first issue is with the wi-fi. i stream a lot of hd hockey and i have a 25 mbps cable internet service. if i use the playbook to watch the games i'll get 'buffering' at least 10 times more often than when i use my roommate's laptop. why would that ever be the case?

the second issue is with using an hdmi cable. sometimes when i'm using the hdmi cable and trying to navigate with the playbook it goes insane. like things will minimize and maximize and the keyboard will pop up randomly etc. it also sometimes won't type properly when the hdmi cable is plugged in - like i'll type the letter 'p' but a 'd' will be input. i've tried three hdmi cables and multiple tvs.

i've also wiped the device and re-loaded the os (the full way with the security wipe and restarting the pb while desktop manager is still running etc.)

if anyone knows anything about these issues or has experienced them please help me out!
    01-17-12 10:14 PM
    Buffering during streaming over the World Wide Web could be due to a number of issues: TCP/IP stack implementation on QNX, web browser performance, radio signal interference from other devices at the router or wireless access point, congestion on the internet service provider's network though at 25 Mbps download (maximum) this seems less probable. My money is on a combination of TCP/IP stack implementation on QNX and web browser performance.
    01-17-12 10:59 PM
    Are you also charging while using the hdmi while things go screwy? It might be the socket you are using. Folks have found plasma tv's can affect the screen/response of the pb.
    01-17-12 11:44 PM
    when u type P it goes with d

this is because - u maybe using playbook in horizontal position and ur playbook gravity sensor is confused with the display of playbook .. and the result is what u r facing

So, either turn on the orientaion lock on the top right .. or place ur playbook in a position where the gravity sensor works well ..
    01-18-12 04:41 AM
    I think your pb is too close to the tv or other interference with something in that area, longer cable would probably help.

For the streaming hopefully that will be improved with the new OS. The streaming seems to be an issue on some sites but not on others so maybe it is something with the site.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-18-12 06:35 AM
    Same happens when I plug my hdmi in.
    01-18-12 07:05 AM
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick responses. Its funny that the plasma TV thing was mentioned because i have two - a 43" and a 59". It does seem like the hdmi problem gets worse with the bigger TV. I was using a 6 foot cable but I just bought a 15 foot cable and now I sit about 10 feet from the TV. I also noticed that it's a bit better than the 6 foot cable sitting right beside the TV. Maybe there is something to the theory that the plasma TV causes interference. I've also tried it while charging and without charging and both times the issue still seems to happen. I'll try the orientation lock but the 'p' and 'd' key thing was just a made up example at how the key that gets input seems completely random relative to the key i press.

As for the network issues - is there a hope that anything will get better with os2 - like has there been any talk of improving the networking?

Thanks!
    01-18-12 08:12 AM
    So for the information of anyone who comes across this - the big plasma TV seriously messes with the Playbook when they're close together - looks like a ghost is using the PB

Anyways, using the 15 foot cable and sitting pretty far back basically fixed that problem. I hope they fix up any network issues with os2
    01-20-12 01:35 PM
    Thanks for the follow up - it could help someone down the line.
    01-20-12 02:58 PM
    I've also experienced my playbook going absolutely nuts when it's around my Plasma TV, not even plugged into the HDMI cable. I have a 64" Samsung and if I get my playbook within a foot or two of the TV it goes crazy, looks like I might have to get a longer cable.
    03-13-12 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD