The touch pad thing sucks compared to the trackball. Yeah it got dirty and need cleaning but when it worked, it was awesome. The touch pad is finnicky and not as precise. BrickBreaker with the touchpad sucks.

RIM needs to bring it back the ball. A qwerty device with a touchscreen and a trackball would be perfect.
    01-17-12 01:34 PM
    I can only heartily disagree. On all accounts.
    01-17-12 01:40 PM
    Different struck for different folks. I for one i'm happy they got rid of the track ball.
    01-17-12 01:44 PM
    I would love to see the Curve 83XX Back, the Body exactly as it was on the 8330.

But the internals being that of the Bold 9900, with twice the battery of the 9900 (which should fit due to the added volume of the 8330 body over the 9900 body.

give me the high DPI screen, and OS7.1 but the wonderful keyboard of the 8330, and the easily cleaned and replaced trackball, and the strong body that didn't look bad after falling down a flight of stairs.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    01-17-12 01:47 PM
    Ugh, no way I am using that trackball ever!
    01-17-12 02:08 PM
    One Bold 9000, four (dirty/worn out) trackballs later, I'm going to have to say no too!
    01-17-12 02:35 PM
    There is just no tactile feel from the pad. There was so much more control and precision with the trackball. The entire world is going to a non-tactile interface. I think this is a big mistake.

It's like watching people on Star Trek operate their little consoles. They have no real buttons only a piece of glass in front of them. While cool to look at, it's horrible to actually use a input mechanism that does not have a mechanical basis. Real buttons will always win out over a smooth piece of glass. Same goes with the trackball.

For those of you that are anti-trackball, could you give some reasons that you prefer the pad over the ball? And I will immediately concede that a trackball does need to be cleaned and maintained. But from a purely interface veiw, why is the trackpad better?
    01-17-12 02:40 PM
    Never used a trackball, but love the look. Very blackberry I think.
    01-17-12 02:58 PM
    Many of you know how much a fan of trackballs I am, but the trackpad is every bit as precise to use. Adjust your sensitivity settings if you're having trouble. There's no way in heck I'd go back to trackball.

I would however love return of my 8100's 4 lights, shining from the border, with all the controls BlingBall offered. :::: salivates ::::
    01-17-12 03:06 PM
    Many of you know how much a fan of trackballs I am, but the trackpad is every bit as precise to use. Adjust your sensitivity settings if you're having trouble. There's no way in heck I'd go back to trackball.

I would however love return of my 8100's 4 lights, shining from the border, with all the controls BlingBall offered. :::: salivates ::::
    I disagree.

No matter what settings I use on my phones, I've never had the same precision as I had on my 8330,
    The Track pad is similar to IBM's dot on the keyboard, it was functional, and could work very well, but it didn't compare to a trackball in precision use, though now we all use mice, and touchpads, because good enough and popular is more important than Best
    01-17-12 03:18 PM
    Trackballs were alright...trackpad is ok too...both worked for me. But I am happy I don't have to look at other people's dirty-*** dark grey trackballs anymore. EEEEWWW
    CanadianThomas and elvin1983 like this.
    01-17-12 03:23 PM

I have spent more time that I care to admit toying with the sensitivity and still can't match the precision and tactile feel of the trackball. Plus, a user shouldn't have to spent this much time to replicate a mechanical input.
    01-17-12 03:58 PM
    Never used a trackball, but love the look. Very blackberry I think.
    Agreed. The ball looks good and works better.
    01-17-12 03:59 PM
    The settings aren't that robust, that messing with them will consume your life.

Certainly all subjective opinion here. It's too bad unlike most things BB, we can't all have our preference fulfilled. Even if a brand new ball were more accurate for all, as a matter of consistency, the pad is the winner.
    01-17-12 04:10 PM
    I was a huge trackball fan too. Still lovin' the trackpad but found precision was so much better with the ball. Just my personal preference I guess.
    01-17-12 04:19 PM
    I also liked the trackball. Just got tired of replacing them. If I had a choice, I would pick the trackpad, it works better for the way I use my 9650
    01-17-12 04:25 PM
    I love the track ball, but I also love the track pad. As was the case with my 8330m's track ball, I have my 9650's track pad sensitivity set to 100% on the horizontal and the vertical. (And you can still press/click the track pad.) I guess I do see the trackpad as more robust. I can't imagine anything ever going wrong with it, though I'm sure things do.

That said, I do understand Recycler's points about the non-tactile interface -- the Star Trek/glass button" analogy is great! -- and I do agree that a real button input method will always be superior. I don't ever want a touch screen only device. The 9930 would be okay, because the touch feature is supplemental, but even as such I see it as a bit of a gimmick. I prefer not to touch glass. As an aside, I write with fountain pens because of the tactile pleasure it brings to the act of writing. Though they are of a fine, practical design, I loathe the monotony of writing with ball point instruments.
    Last edited by T�nis; 01-17-12 at 05:15 PM.
    01-17-12 05:08 PM
    i'll have to disagree...the TP is waaaaaay better than the TB to me...that thing used to give me ! but i guess you like what you like....but i seriously doubt RIM will bring it back...then again u never know!
    01-17-12 06:44 PM
    I would love to see the Curve 83XX Back, the Body exactly as it was on the 8330.

But the internals being that of the Bold 9900, with twice the battery of the 9900 (which should fit due to the added volume of the 8330 body over the 9900 body.

give me the high DPI screen, and OS7.1 but the wonderful keyboard of the 8330, and the easily cleaned and replaced trackball, and the strong body that didn't look bad after falling down a flight of stairs.
    I agree 100%. My 8330 is a freaking beast. Unkillable. And believe me, I tried. If my 8330 had the specs of my iPhone or the 9900, I'd likely still be using it.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    01-17-12 06:47 PM
    I don't miss my trackball. I started with BB on the original Pearl.
    Upgraded to the Curve 8900. Towards the end of its life the trackball became unresponsive. The Torch and now the 9900 with the trackpad are awesome.
    01-17-12 06:58 PM
    come on. lets get to the real issue. bring back the click wheel!
    01-17-12 09:12 PM
    Trackball is sooo 90's. Welcome to the future.

Clearly, TB fans are in the minority.
    01-17-12 09:49 PM
    While I appreciated the trackball on my venerable 8330, I occasionally mess with my Tour to compare trackball to trackpad. I'll keep my trackpad, thanks. It is quite fast and works just fine for me. It still has a 'feel' to it, and has been far more reliable dealing with the amount of oils I tend to get on my hands.
    01-17-12 09:51 PM
    I have to agree with the opinions on the trackpad. I started out with the Pearl Flip which used the trackball. While it worked well enough, I always had issues with clicking it and the cursor moving as I clicked. I tried changing sensitivity and everything, but never got it to work how I wanted. Trackpad is much better for this reason. The phone just looks better altogether with the trackpad as well.
    01-17-12 10:49 PM
    Completely agree!!

The touch pad thing sucks compared to the trackball. Yeah it got dirty and need cleaning but when it worked, it was awesome. The touch pad is finnicky and not as precise. BrickBreaker with the touchpad sucks.

RIM needs to bring it back the ball. A qwerty device with a touchscreen and a trackball would be perfect.
    01-17-12 11:12 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD