Howdy folks,

For those of you who don't know me, a long time ago I submitted a Browser application to RIM called Desktop Browser. Old link here: Desktop Browser Thread.

Secure Browser Appworld link here: Secure Browser

I want to say a special thank-you to HaTaX (from Simple Browser+) for his deep knowledge and support. Without him there would be no tabs (edit: or text reflow) in these releases.

Info on Secure Browser from my blog: FileArchiveHaven: Secure Browser. You can also visit my blog to submit themes (only icons at the moment!)

Reminder: For those who want a refund but are sparing my feelings (j/k) or IF you ever need app refunds, contact [email protected] with your order number. That's for any product.

Update: Version 1.0.9.902 released

1.0.9.902 Features:
    -----------------
    * New status bar indicator (green bar) below URL bar
    * Proper local file browsing
    * Import/Export .HTML for Bookmarks
    * URL Bar no longer loses focus on page load
    * Tabs can now be remembered
    * Lock Browsing: You can pwd protect all browsing (protects your tabs on launch)
    * Zoom Fit on Load option added
    * Bug fix: Cant edit/paste URL bar
    * Bug fix: Reset options fixed
    * Bug fix: Delete Favorites Bug
    * Bug fix: Java pop-up wrong layer

Older feature log here: Secure Browser 1.0.8 SP2 Submitted | File Archive Haven

I will be releasing an update to Desktop Browser in the future . Does not work with Netflix or Hulu - Sorry mates.

-ed.
    Last edited by KermEd; 03-01-12 at 10:09 PM.
    HaTaX, kn0ff and amr.h like this.
    01-17-12 01:10 AM
    is there a option to disable javascript?
    01-17-12 01:37 AM
    is there a option to disable javascript?
    You bet that was added in 1.0.6 .

You can disable:
    Private Browsing
    Protection of Favorites
    Cookies
    Javascript
    Popups
    Web Inspector (off by default)
    Pattern Match (off by default)
    Web Sockets

I'm thinking of removing Pattern Match in favour of Disable Images - because I don't really see a lot of documentation on it.

But it isn't hurting anything by keeping it an option

Also, the update was just approved, usually takes a few hours to trickle out to the servers. So might not be available to everyone yet. Also, I really really really encourage people to visit my blog (above) and create their own theme (icons really only at the moment) and I can push them in the next release.

Ed
    01-17-12 01:51 AM
    ok just bought it will start testing right now,for me the browser is the most important thing so i want the best.
    If its ok i would write a comparison to the latest 1.10 version of simplebrowser since this is the biggest opponent of yours.
    i just have yours for a couple of minutes but so far it looks good,there a some ui things that should be changed i think ,like the bookmarks to use up all the space and maybe the buttons,i think they are maybe too small or to many on the bar.
    I will do a more detailed review later
    Rafkin likes this.
    01-17-12 02:01 AM
    ok just bought it will start testing right now,for me the browser is the most important thing so i want the best.
    If its ok i would write a comparison to the latest 1.10 version of simplebrowser since this is the biggest opponent of yours.
    i just have yours for a couple of minutes but so far it looks good,there a some ui things that should be changed i think ,like the bookmarks to use up all the space and maybe the buttons,i think they are maybe too small or to many on the bar.
    I will do a more detailed review later
    Thanks mate, me and HaTaX actually work closely on the browsers. But the version on AppWorld still says 1.0.6.xxx So its very plausible you have the old update still. If not - your good to go! I post the version on the options tab. You want to see it as 1.0.7.xxx - thats the one that cleared approval.

Also, thank you for the support! I never thought this browser would see the light of day .
    Last edited by KermEd; 01-17-12 at 02:16 AM.
    01-17-12 02:13 AM
    i have the latest version,just checked
    ok some things i have to mention before the detailed review because i dont know when i get the time for it.

what is pattern match?

things i like
    -speed is absolutely brilliant,i think even faster than simplebrowser
    -the amount of options is good,the important one are there,thats good
    -like the options page,everything can be accessed quickly
    -themes are cool,look of the ui in general is nice
    -nice way of using tabs and the indicator on the button
    -flawlees portrait mode performance,much smoother compared to simplebrowser

things i would like to change
    -less buttons,emerge bookmarks and new bookmark,emerge load and stop button
    -so you have two buttons less and can make the rest a bit bigger
    -add some more feature(adblocking,text reflow etc.)
    -if you tap the url bar the text should be highlighted directly
    -fullscreen,scrollable bookmark page,the paginated view isnt really comfortable
    -bookmark sorting
    -thinner progress bar,i think a transparent one with % would do just fine
    for now the thing impresses me the most is the speed of the app itself and its browsing performance,its super smooth too.

But the controls like the paginated bookmarks and too much buttons of which i only use some in daily use make it a bit uncomfortable to browse for longer.
    But overall i really like the browser very much,defintly worth the money,thats for sure

@hatax
    great you support this app too,very nice of you to help the enemy,just kidding...
    Last edited by nimrodity; 01-17-12 at 04:42 AM.
    01-17-12 02:30 AM
    Fastest browser I have ever seen! Great features too. *****
    01-17-12 07:30 AM
    Hey I like those ideas! Good call on the button merging i didn't even think about that.

I agree on the fullscreen too. I think devs can see what i'm doing - rather thsnan handle the rotation, on some screens if i can keep my area to 600x600 (lazy- i know) I dont have to redraw. But, this is easy to fix now. I put some code in this release to mske this much easier.

I did do the tap-to-highlight, it gave me some problems - so ive temporarily blocked that out for the next release. Technically it is set to dbl click to highlight now - but dbl click doesnt work so also easy to do next release.

Long story short! I think a lot of this can be done next service pack. Id like to start theming more too - so some grfx for backgrounds would be nice... Anyway thank you guys for the warm feedback!

-ed
    Rafkin likes this.
    01-17-12 08:03 AM
    could you maybe put the tab button next to the back button,so with emerged buttons,there would be 2 left to the url bar and 3 to the right.
    would look much cleaner and clearer to seerate the buttons,and the could all get a bit wider this,you could also shorten the url bar a bit,i dont think anyone needs a bar this wide.
    01-17-12 12:17 PM
    Very nice; first paid app on my PB. Bravo Zulu!
    KermEd likes this.
    01-17-12 12:24 PM
    Would the Secure Browser remember user names and passwords to some web sites? The built-in browser does not seem to and is annoying!
    01-17-12 12:42 PM
    Hi there! Thank you for your hard work on that browser. Just one thing that stops me from buying it. Is there any download manager? I did not see anything in screenshots, neither on Appworld.

Thank you.
    01-17-12 01:04 PM
    This app is worth the money just for its superb speed, with the announced changes its gonna be really awesome
    KermEd likes this.
    01-17-12 01:29 PM
    Congrats on the new release KermEd! As he stated, him and I don't really see each other as competitors in the arena although our products definitely overlap a bit in what they do. In fact a few months ago we were both in the same boat feeling like our browsers would never make it to app world.

Looks like a great release! Onward and upward to figuring out the next enigma of this QNXStageWebView puzzle.
    01-17-12 01:32 PM
    i have noooo idea how you managed to convince RIM, but thank you, it's a great product. So amazingly fast. I open this forum in 18 sec on native browser. 10 sec with Fast (ahem, sorry secure) browser

also please, add a 'home' button ...
    Last edited by pgerhard; 01-17-12 at 02:00 PM.
    01-17-12 01:56 PM
    Yes your 2 apps are the best available for the pb right now.
    love the effort you two are putting into this projects, really appreciate it
    KermEd likes this.
    01-17-12 02:08 PM
    Hi there! Thank you for your hard work on that browser. Just one thing that stops me from buying it. Is there any download manager? I did not see anything in screenshots, neither on Appworld.

Thank you.
    Unfortunately no, not yet - but it is something to think about.

I have some ideas here, but I follow a Feature Release then Bug Fix Release format. So next release should be bug fixes and GUI improvements. I'll see what I can do for it though - but wait for now just in case I never get one done up.

Would the Secure Browser remember user names and passwords to some web sites? The built-in browser does not seem to and is annoying!
    Not yet I try to have the browser (for now at least) log as little detail about you as possible. I was toying with the idea this morning though...

I need it to store the passwords in a locked area - I was thinking of just a plain old locker section that lets you store notes and passwords. It would be in the secure area with the favorites (maybe take up the other half of that screen). But I'd need it to wipe it if you press Reset - otherwise someone coudl steal the passwords.

Ed.
    01-17-12 05:04 PM
    is there a way to disable javascript by site? there are some sites that I don't want javascript to run, while others I do.
    Sorry to be picky.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-17-12 05:20 PM
    Simple Question: How do I access the settings screen? The browser wakes up to google web site, and there is no settings icon! I only see: Back, http address, Go, Stop, Tabs, Favorite Bookmark, forward.
    01-17-12 08:00 PM
    you do the menu swipe.you have to swipe from the upper bezel down to the screen,this gesture should be known by all users by now
    01-17-12 10:53 PM
    Unfortunately no, not yet - but it is something to think about.
    Ed.
    Thanks for the reply Ed. Bought your app last night anyway and gave it a try. Well, I would stay with Simple Browser so far. Will be glad to check the updated version.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-18-12 12:03 AM
    I bought Secure Browser last night and have used it for quite a while now. I found myself using this browser over the Simple. I found like all others a huge speed advantage - and the ability to turn the menacing Javascripts off. I now decided to stick with Secure. I have already defined my main favorites.

I would highly recommend the feature of opening a bookmark.html file such as the one exported by Firefox.

I am wondering. Air Browser opens an html file (containing my favorites) by default via Simple Browser. Can it be configured to let Secure browser open the html files by default?
    01-18-12 12:08 PM
    This looks like it was made in flex -- was it? Simplebrowser as well?
    01-18-12 12:38 PM
    Fast = able to do more per battery charge. I will also vote for enabling downloads.
    01-18-12 02:15 PM
    I bought Secure Browser last night and have used it for quite a while now. I found myself using this browser over the Simple. I found like all others a huge speed advantage - and the ability to turn the menacing Javascripts off. I now decided to stick with Secure. I have already defined my main favorites.

I would highly recommend the feature of opening a bookmark.html file such as the one exported by Firefox.

I am wondering. Air Browser opens an html file (containing my favorites) by default via Simple Browser. Can it be configured to let Secure browser open the html files by default?
    Air Browser can change the default opening browser? Is there a setting in Air Browser?
    01-18-12 02:22 PM
117 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD