So, I did a soft reboot on my 9930 and it boots up half way and then boom, a white screen comes on and says JVM Error 517 Reset. The reason I did a soft reboot was because the proxy sensor (next to the red light) would not go off. What do I do now without losing anything on my 9930?!
    01-16-12 06:17 PM
    So, I did a soft reboot on my 9930 and it boots up half way and then boom, a white screen comes on and says JVM Error 517 Reset. The reason I did a soft reboot was because the proxy sensor (next to the red light) would not go off. What do I do now without losing anything on my 9930?!
    Seems like a brick to me. Have you tried connecting to DM? I had this (i think it was the same error, or it could have been a JVM error in the 400s, I forget) and I couldn't connect. Phone was totally bricked and I needed to get a warranty replacement. My issue also happened after I did a soft resent, so I never do those anymore. I either completely pull out the battery or use QuickLaunch to reboot when I'm having a problem or want to clear up some memory. (I let the phone reboot itself normally after app upgrades though)

Hope you have everything backed up. You will need to re-install all 3rd party apps and everything thats not backed up on DM or BBSAK (if you use it).

Good luck, sorry this happened...

BTW, what OS are you using. Just wondering. Are you on 7.1, or still on 7.0.0.374?
    01-16-12 06:23 PM
    Seems like a brick to me. Have you tried connecting to DM? I had this (i think it was the same error, or it could have been a JVM error in the 400s, I forget) and I couldn't connect. Phone was totally bricked and I needed to get a warranty replacement. My issue also happened after I did a soft resent, so I never do those anymore. I either completely pull out the battery or use QuickLaunch to reboot when I'm having a problem or want to clear up some memory. (I let the phone reboot itself normally after app upgrades though)

Hope you have everything backed up. You will need to re-install all 3rd party apps and everything thats not backed up on DM or BBSAK (if you use it).

Good luck, sorry this happened...

BTW, what OS are you using. Just wondering. Are you on 7.1, or still on 7.0.0.374?
    I'm using .374. And I'm not sure if everyone is backed up or not. I mean I've used blackberry protect and that's set to back up every week. Does the Verizon back up manager back up everything?
    01-16-12 06:30 PM
    517 is unrecoverable. Your carrier will need to replace the device if it is still within the 1 year manufactures warranty.

From RIM KB Article directly.
    http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB19442
    Last edited by MobileMadness002; 01-16-12 at 06:34 PM.
    01-16-12 06:31 PM
    I'm using .374. And I'm not sure if everyone is backed up or not. I mean I've used blackberry protect and that's set to back up every week. Does the Verizon back up manager back up everything?
    Good thing you use BB Protect. But, that will only take care of your messages/contacts stuff like that. You will need to re-install all of your 3rd party applications (anything you've downloaded off of app world or crackberry or anywhere else).

.374 is known to have the bricking issue, that is why I updated to 7.1 as soon as I could. I had a brick on .374 when I did a soft reboot myself as I said.

SO, you need to get a new device. Go to your carrier and they should send one out overnight (its covered by warranty and insurance). When you get your new device, set up your BB ID just like you have on your bricked device, set up your email accounts, and then use a BB Protect restore and see what you can get back.

Good Luck!

EDIT: Not sure what VZW backup manager does, but if anything I think it will only backup contacts. It definitely won't back up 3rd party stuff (unless you downloaded verizon apps I guess)
    01-16-12 06:34 PM
    Also, before the brick, what apps did you have installed? Did you install anything new before the reset?

I think I had an incompatible app which caused the JVM error when I did a soft reboot (I had a couple of OS6 apps that were ported to OS7, but not fully compatible). After I got my new phone, I only re-installed official OS7 apps and have had no problems since.

And now that I'm on 7.1, if I'm not mistaken, the bricking issue has been dealt with. Haven't heard of anyone's 9930 bricking on 7.1
    01-16-12 06:46 PM
    Good thing you use BB Protect. But, that will only take care of your messages/contacts stuff like that. You will need to re-install all of your 3rd party applications (anything you've downloaded off of app world or crackberry or anywhere else).

.374 is known to have the bricking issue, that is why I updated to 7.1 as soon as I could. I had a brick on .374 when I did a soft reboot myself as I said.

SO, you need to get a new device. Go to your carrier and they should send one out overnight (its covered by warranty and insurance). When you get your new device, set up your BB ID just like you have on your bricked device, set up your email accounts, and then use a BB Protect restore and see what you can get back.

Good Luck!

EDIT: Not sure what VZW backup manager does, but if anything I think it will only backup contacts. It definitely won't back up 3rd party stuff (unless you downloaded verizon apps I guess)
    Thanks, I'm on the phone with tech support and I'm downloading the new OS, as they said to.

Also, I have downloaded nothing new before the reset.
    01-16-12 06:47 PM
    Thanks, I'm on the phone with tech support and I'm downloading the new OS, as they said to.

Also, I have downloaded nothing new before the reset.
    Interesting, must have just been the OS issue.

Did your phone connect to DM though? Or are they shipping you a new phone? Make sure you get your new device free and shipped as fast as possible, because it is covered by warranty. Just remember to send the bricked one back in when you receive the new device.
    01-16-12 06:50 PM

Did your phone connect to DM though? Or are they shipping you a new phone? Make sure you get your new device free and shipped as fast as possible, because it is covered by warranty. Just remember to send the bricked one back in when you receive the new device.
    Well, since my internet isn't as fast as his, the tech said he'd call me back after I finished downloading the OS. I didn't try connecting it, just following what he said to do. This all just sucks because I probably lost all of my stuff besides msgs and contacts. :/
    01-16-12 06:54 PM
    Happened to me two weeks ago. There are 5 hardware related JVM error codes: 501, 517, 535, 547, and 548 (KB19442). I had this same error and wiped/reloaded 3 times before realizing there was nothing I could do to ensure it would not keep happening. Unfortunately I was at Shands with my son and the local Verizon dealer was unaware of the documented issue. I was told it was third party software and to reload again. After standing my ground, I ended up getting a furbished phone sent to my home address (3 hours away) and carrying my daughter's pink Curve for a week.
    In the end, Verizon did me right. They apologized for the inconvenience, credited my account, and sent me a brand new 9930. Oh, and they made a customer for life by admitting a mistake. Honesty gets me everytime.
    Mikey112 and Fnord like this.
    01-16-12 06:58 PM
    Well, since my internet isn't as fast as his, the tech said he'd call me back after I finished downloading the OS. I didn't try connecting it, just following what he said to do. This all just sucks because I probably lost all of my stuff besides msgs and contacts. :/
    True, but if you downloaded through app world or crackberry/mobihand there will be records and as long as you sign in with BB ID, re-installing shouldn't be a hassle. It took me about an hour after I got my replacement to re-install everything I needed and basically have my new device exactly like the old one.
    01-16-12 06:59 PM
    True, but if you downloaded through app world or crackberry/mobihand there will be records and as long as you sign in with BB ID, re-installing shouldn't be a hassle. It took me about an hour after I got my replacement to re-install everything I needed and basically have my new device exactly like the old one.
    Yeah, I just hope it all goes well.
    01-16-12 07:02 PM

They're saying that free shipping takes 5 days but I could expedite it for $13. What kind of crap is that?! They're connecting me to BlackBerry to try and upload the OS another way to try and avoid a new device. What do I do, pay the $13 if they need to send a new one?

EDIT: Good news! I spoke to RIM support and she got my device connected to the BlackBerry software on my laptop and now my device is updating and she said that I will not lose any of my data! WOOT! Let's just hope this goes as planned.
    Last edited by Mikey112; 01-16-12 at 08:12 PM.
    01-16-12 07:54 PM
    They're saying that free shipping takes 5 days but I could expedite it for $13. What kind of crap is that?! They're connecting me to BlackBerry to try and upload the OS another way to try and avoid a new device. What do I do, pay the $13 if they need to send a new one?

EDIT: Good news! I spoke to RIM support and she got my device connected to the BlackBerry software on my laptop and now my device is updating and she said that I will not lose any of my data! WOOT! Let's just hope this goes as planned.
    Awesome. Hope it all works out! Tell us how it goes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-12 10:03 PM
    517 is recoverable. Usually as long as the device isn't in a constant power loop and the screen is t just black wih an led technically I don't believe that's a brick.

My buddy's 9930 went 517 on me last weekend from a 3 finger salute to do a reboot without taking the hard shell off and bam. I connected it to his Mac and ran dm and had an os loaded in less than 1 game of NHL12. Lol
    ericlc2 likes this.
    01-16-12 10:36 PM
    Just randomly got the JVM 517 :O
    01-19-12 05:59 PM
    Just randomly got the JVM 517 :O
    Feel terrible for you What OS were you running?
    01-19-12 06:55 PM
    .374 ... i was able to recover using DM, but unfortunately I only had the option to load that same OS, i'll probably end up updating to 7.1 in the next couple days.. that was pretty bizarre I must say!
    01-19-12 07:00 PM
    .374 ... i was able to recover using DM, but unfortunately I only had the option to load that same OS, i'll probably end up updating to 7.1 in the next couple days.. that was pretty bizarre I must say!
    So hopefully our forum heavyweights are right about 7.1 being the cure?
    01-19-12 07:48 PM
    I couldn't wait im actually updating to 7.1 now, that JVM 517, was a huge red flag for me.
    01-19-12 08:58 PM
    Also, before the brick, what apps did you have installed? Did you install anything new before the reset?

I think I had an incompatible app which caused the JVM error when I did a soft reboot (I had a couple of OS6 apps that were ported to OS7, but not fully compatible). After I got my new phone, I only re-installed official OS7 apps and have had no problems since.

And now that I'm on 7.1, if I'm not mistaken, the bricking issue has been dealt with. Haven't heard of anyone's 9930 bricking on 7.1
    Im on 7.1 and that just happened to me, but my device boots and everything is fine except i dont get the BB logo next to the signal (the data logo). When i got the error it just said continue, not reset. I try downgrading it 7.0 but every time it reaches uploading ROM image it just stays there and then tells me to connect a device. I tried on 3 different computers . Any one have any insight on this problem??

EDIT: when i connect to wifi I get the blackberry data logo.
    01-26-12 09:51 PM
    517 is recoverable. Usually as long as the device isn't in a constant power loop and the screen is t just black wih an led technically I don't believe that's a brick.

My buddy's 9930 went 517 on me last weekend from a 3 finger salute to do a reboot without taking the hard shell off and bam. I connected it to his Mac and ran dm and had an os loaded in less than 1 game of NHL12. Lol
    Yep happened to me too like 3 days ago. I was installing 7.1.0.205 when the black screen and the JVM 517 came on. So I reinstalled the software and it finished booting.

I think it's the other JVM errors plus the White screen of death that is the major freak out for users.
    01-26-12 10:46 PM
    Omg. I am having my 2nd JVM 517 on my Bold 9900...and is repairing it with Mac's DM now...
    02-05-12 12:00 AM
    repairing with DM has not worked for me. Ive downgraded to 7.0 then upgraded to 7.1, no luck.
    I've wiped device with BBSAK and installed a fresh OS and still no luck. I dont know what to do and im afraid my phones gonna brick anytime. Its quite frustrating.
    02-05-12 12:03 AM
    JVM error 517 happened to me last night and IS recoverable, if you have blackberry desktop manager connect your phone to your pc/laptop by usb but with no battery in. your dm should still recognize your phone. it will then come up with a message click upgrade and allow to download all the modules DO NOT disturb it, it takes all the files off your phone replaces them and upgrades everything on your phone!! towards the end of the upgrade put your battery in your phone and just leave it to do everything itself. it took around an hour to do but well worth the wait as it as resolved all my phone issues. hope this helps.
    04-08-12 03:53 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD