I'm trying to decide if it's safe to buy a very slightly used 9900 or not. I am worried that I won't be able to use the manufacturers warranty for issues that might arise. Since I'm not buying from a carrier, will RIM still support it?
    01-16-12 12:39 PM
    If its to use on the same carrier and NOT to unlock and use on a different carrier you may be able to get the service provider to help you out if something every comes up.

However, if you change carriers and unlock the phone you basically have no more warranty as RIM does not take care of that, it has to go through a service provider.
    The previous service provider will say that the phone is no longer active on an account with them so they cant do anything for you and the new service provider will tell you that the device was not purchased through them so they will not honor the warranty...
    01-16-12 12:49 PM
    So not worth the risk then. Ok thanks. Darnit I wish they weren't so pricey brand new!
    01-16-12 12:51 PM
    Neither RIM nor your service provider will honor the warranty once it becomes '2nd hand'...i bought a 1 week used 9900 and none of them accepted the warranty
    01-16-12 01:23 PM
    Neither RIM nor your service provider will honor the warranty once it becomes '2nd hand'...i bought a 1 week used 9900 and none of them accepted the warranty
    Interesting. I can't speak to your specific situation but I bought a used handset that was still within the warranty period and T-mobile had no issue with helping me out. Personally a big thing with RIM is there lack of customer support. Apple by way of example will cover any product and allow that item's warranty to be extended so long as the original warranty has not expired. Both of which are fully transferable.

And just for the record I use a Bold 9900 on T-Mobile that I bought second hand and I really like the unit more than I did my Galaxy S.
    01-16-12 02:01 PM
    Warranty flies away if you buy second hand.
    01-16-12 02:19 PM
    Warranty flies away if you buy second hand.
    +10 for apple
    01-16-12 02:22 PM
    Can't speak to the rest of the world, but in North America, if you are using the phone on the same carrier as it was originally purchased from then they should honour the warranty. Don't even mention that you bought it 2nd hand, just mention the problem and they should take care of it.

You will, however, run into issue if you are using the device on a different carrier from the original. And FYI, unlocking does not void warranty (most carriers provide unlock codes to their customers).
    01-16-12 02:58 PM
    So not worth the risk then. Ok thanks. Darnit I wish they weren't so pricey brand new!
    It really depends on how cheap you get it and if it originated with your carrier. I may be wrong, but in Canada warranties are transferable by law, you just need to have proof of purchase when it was initially purchased. If the seller can provide the original paperwork on the phone and it is on your carrier and you are a long term customer, not pay as you go, you should have no problem getting it covered.

For what it is worth, Rogers will repair any phone for a long term/contract customer once every two years, for a flat fee. Its on their site under handset protection warranty. I think there is a $35 fee when you put it in for repair. In the case of a bricked used 9900 on Rogers, I bet they would get RIM to fix it under warranty before paying to fix it themselves.

Handset Protection
    01-16-12 02:59 PM
    I wouldn't do it. Just not worth the risk or hassle.
    01-16-12 05:31 PM
    If I buy a used 9900, do I need to do anything with the service provider to make sure that I can use BBM, internet etc? The phone I want to buy is locked to Telus which works for me. The person I am buying the phone from is still with Telus but on an iPhone. Thoughts?
    06-30-12 12:10 PM
    Interesting. I can't speak to your specific situation but I bought a used handset that was still within the warranty period and T-mobile had no issue with helping me out. Personally a big thing with RIM is there lack of customer support. Apple by way of example will cover any product and allow that item's warranty to be extended so long as the original warranty has not expired. Both of which are fully transferable.

And just for the record I use a Bold 9900 on T-Mobile that I bought second hand and I really like the unit more than I did my Galaxy S.
    Apple warranties go with the evict and not the holder of the device.
    06-30-12 02:15 PM
    Apple warranties go with the evict and not the holder of the device.
    "Evict"? I don't understand your post. Was that Autocorrect?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    06-30-12 02:33 PM
    go for it. i bought mine used and have had no issues. going on 7 months now.

Sent from my sexy 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-30-12 02:47 PM
    I had a new one when it first came out, sold it for the samsung galaxy s2, sold that after a week, then bought a used 9900 off ebay. My unit was fine and it even came with an Arabic keyboard...not that I need it

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-30-12 05:12 PM
    Picked it up on Saturday and it has been working great since then. Best BB yet.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-02-12 07:23 PM
    Picked mine up used. Just be thorough when you question the seller and the device. The original owner also had my carrier. For me, It was a difference of saving 300$ so i took the risk. So far, so good.
    07-02-12 11:59 PM
    nice. congrats

07-03-12 12:52 AM
    RIM should lower the price of BlackBerry Bold 9900.
    07-05-12 04:00 PM
    RIM should lower the price of BlackBerry Bold 9900.

they will when bb10 is on the verge of release

07-05-12 08:31 PM
    It may be cheaper, but ultimately, you're very unsure about quite a few things. Might as well buy something new
    07-06-12 12:11 AM
    It all depends on many things... such as which carrier is the one that sold the device, conditions and such... basically, if you buy a second hand device it's not a big deal, you can find many sellers selling you great device new condition and half price, the warranty is always problematic with second hand phones but if the seller is selling you all the original box and stuff you will be able to contact RIM for few things... depends on type of the warranty, sure a carrier brand new device will be covered more, that's why they charge that much.
    07-06-12 03:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD