Would a bluetooth HD work with the PB and could you for example load it up with your movies and music and then watch/listen to them on the PB?
    01-15-12 02:57 AM
    No, the PB does not support any Bluetooth profiles other than Internet Tethering, HID (keyboards, mouses), audio (only in OS2) and SPP (Bridge). You can pair the HD to your PB but wouldn't be able to access the files because the OS does not support it, currently.
    space_traveler likes this.
    01-15-12 04:37 AM
    No. Plus bluetooth would be incredibly slow. There is a product by Seagate. It's a 500gb external hard drive, it's a portable device with batteries, and is WIFI accessible.

The 500GB Seagate GoFlex Satellite WIFI Drive. You can check it out here Amazon.com: Seagate GoFlex Satellite Mobile Wireless Storage 500 GB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive STBF500101 Black: Electronics

It works great with the playbook. Streams video to multiple devices simultaneously without lag. I love it.
    01-15-12 05:00 AM
    hi i could not get bluetooth to work so i tryed wifi it is great i have a seagate goflex wifi drive and it works it would be nicer with a app
    01-15-12 05:03 AM
    Have you heard of wifi-usb memory card readers ? One is the airstash that works with PB , there are cheaper ones to. Its one of the ways of having more portable storage.

AirStash�: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire, and more
    01-15-12 06:17 AM
    Could someone explain how content on WiFi hard drives is accessed from the Playbook?

Is it via an IP address in the browser? Do media files stream immediately or do they need to download to the PB?
    01-15-12 07:00 AM
    thought bout buying the seagate wifi hd but did not as a) the reviews are not great and b) it is very expensive
    01-15-12 10:24 AM
    No. Plus bluetooth would be incredibly slow. There is a product by Seagate. It's a 500gb external hard drive, it's a portable device with batteries, and is WIFI accessible.

The 500GB Seagate GoFlex Satellite WIFI Drive. You can check it out here Amazon.com: Seagate GoFlex Satellite Mobile Wireless Storage 500 GB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive STBF500101 Black: Electronics

It works great with the playbook. Streams video to multiple devices simultaneously without lag. I love it.
    Thanks! Looks really good. And 500GB = awesome! 5 hr battery life is a little low, but I 'm assuming the HD can be plugged in to power outlet while streaming?
    01-15-12 03:54 PM
    The AirStash device mentioned above, does not work with blackberry devices.

-------
    AirStash is NOT compatible with Blackberry Devices:
    Blackberry phones
    Blackberry Playbook tablet

As of December 2011, this is stated on the Maxell AirStash A02 retail box.
    --------

And yes, the seagate goflex satellite will broadcast while plugged in via the included wall adapter. But not while it is plugged in via USB.

And don't mind some of the negative reviews on this product. Most of those negative reviews trace back to people having problems with third party iOS apps that access the device. Or with users who have not updated to the latest firmware available. If you purchase a goflex, just update the firmware right away. And you will be fine. The Web interface that you will be accessing via your blackberry web browser, works great. No additional apps required. It will also work great with your blackberry smartphone as well. Again, no apps required.
    Last edited by EvilmasterMMA; 01-15-12 at 08:53 PM.
    CDM76 and space_traveler like this.
    01-15-12 08:37 PM
    And don't mind some of the negative reviews on this product. Most of those negative reviews trace back to people having problems with third party iOS apps that access the device. Or with users who have not updated to the latest firmware available. If you purchase a goflex, just update the firmware right away. And you will be fine. The Web interface that you will be accessing via your blackberry web browser, works great. No additional apps required. It will also work great with your blackberry smartphone as well. Again, no apps required.
    I also have the Seagate GoFlex Satellite and would agree totally with your conclusions about the device.
    01-15-12 09:29 PM
    I agree, it sounds like many of the problems are with older firmware, based on the amazon reviews. This HD makes even the 16GB PB completely awesome!
    01-15-12 10:41 PM
    i work for Seagate, and we are currently working on an even newer version of the firmware.

as indicated, the negative reviews are regarding older versions of the firmware, so updating should help.

i, personally, have done a lot of the testing with PlayBook using multiple PlayBooks with the 1.8 and 2.0 OS. the browser interface works well and does not require the files be downloaded to the PB when streaming, to answer a previously asked question.
    01-15-12 10:48 PM
    Can you save files through the PB browser to the seagate satellite?
    01-15-12 11:01 PM
    i work for Seagate, and we are currently working on an even newer version of the firmware.

as indicated, the negative reviews are regarding older versions of the firmware, so updating should help.

i, personally, have done a lot of the testing with PlayBook using multiple PlayBooks with the 1.8 and 2.0 OS. the browser interface works well and does not require the files be downloaded to the PB when streaming, to answer a previously asked question.
    Thanks for the update. I think I can speak for all of us who own the GoFlex Satellite. We appreciate any information that you are able to provide about updates and new features that may be added. Thanks.
    01-16-12 12:37 AM
    the firmware we're testing now allows your Satellite to connect to your existing wireless network, instead of having to connect to the Satellite's network, like you have to do today.
    hackerguy, EWY, irweezyy and 1 others like this.
    01-16-12 04:29 PM
    So I'll be able to connect my goflex to my router, and still have an internet connection on my playbook while I can access the goflex at the same time?

If so, I am gonna pop a joyboner over this!
    01-16-12 08:21 PM
    feel free to start "popping".

i'm installing the new firmware today for testing.
    TommyBB and EvilmasterMMA like this.
    01-17-12 08:27 AM
    feel free to start "popping".

i'm installing the new firmware today for testing.

Wow, this sounds awesome!
    01-18-12 10:56 AM
    sorry to bump! any news on this? i was looking to get the drive for my playbook
    02-06-12 09:51 PM
    the firmware we're testing now allows your Satellite to connect to your existing wireless network, instead of having to connect to the Satellite's network, like you have to do today.
    Do you have an estimate for when it will be available?
    02-06-12 11:34 PM
    Do you have an estimate for when it will be available?
    testing is almost complete. one final version going out to beta testers today.

the plan is to roll it out next week.
    02-07-12 06:03 AM
    I have had this on my amazon wishlist since I first read about it here on Crackberry. I will probably be picking one up soon, I just started using Freemaker to convert my DVDs and it would be great to be able to stream them whenever I feel like it. I will be watching this thread to see how the new firmware update does.
    02-07-12 08:08 AM
    Thanks! Looks really good. And 500GB = awesome! 5 hr battery life is a little low, but I 'm assuming the HD can be plugged in to power outlet while streaming?
    Read the reviews on Seagate's website the HD doesn't work very well.
    GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate
    02-07-12 09:07 AM
    This drive works fine! I have been using it alot for storing movies and music to access while on the go with my PB. No problems so far. Just wondering where things stand with the updated firmware? Hopefully out soon. Still not out on the Seagate website.
    02-28-12 07:33 PM
    I love my GoFlex Satellite. The firmware upgrade will make it even more fantastic.
    02-28-12 07:51 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD