I was thinking of buying my wife a new phone as a surprise and have zeroed in on the Torch 9860.

She currently has an HTC running Android 2.2 so she is comfortable with the Full Touch form factor.

She is not a huge App user so the change from Android shouldn't bother her. She does browse quite a bit on her phone so I guess she wouldn't be happy with a small screen size.

Reason for switching to BB is because everyone in our friend circle is on BB and BBM and she is feeling kind of left out.

I'm just confused about which BB to get her. For me the 9900 rocks.
    How is the Torch 9860 performance as compared to the 9900? Also a friend of mine has the 9810 and I found the phone to be laggy and not as smooth as my 9900. Admittedly he is still on the OS it had at launch.

Is there something I should be concerned about with the 9860?

Opinions would be appreciated...
    01-13-12 02:11 AM
    Spec wise the devices are the same. Although there is no NFC on the Torch devices if that is a selling point for you. Camera on the Torch is BETTER than on the 99XX with auto focus (although I've learned to love the 9930 camera).

I've played with a 9850 in the Verizon store and personally love it. SUPER sleek device and the touch keyboard is probably the best I've used (and I've had an iPod touch since they were released, used the Storm and Storm2 Blackberries and have played with Android touchscreen devices too). Screen size is awesome too! I love my 9930, but the 3.7" screen really is a difference, and a pleasant one at that.

If she likes touchscreen devices and wants a BB, this device seems to be perfect.
    01-13-12 04:22 AM
    If she likes touch screens this is probably the only blackberry to go for. Any small problems shes doesnt like will be far out weighed with BBM anyway
    01-13-12 05:01 AM
    i use the 9860 it is pretty sweet but if she is a heavy texter it will take some getting used to the keyboard i know she came from a touch screen but this keyboard just isnt the best, i mean im used to it after about 3 months and all but still its just not my favorite
    01-13-12 05:41 AM
    For what she needs and wants, this phone would be perfect for her. I think you'll have a happy wife if you surprise her with this phone.
    01-13-12 09:02 AM
    For what she needs and wants, this phone would be perfect for her. I think you'll have a happy wife if you surprise her with this phone.
    I hope so too....you never know with women
    01-13-12 11:27 AM
    I hope so too....you never know with women
    So true my friend, so true!

Be sure to let us know if you do decide on this phone and if she likes it.
    01-13-12 12:44 PM
    She will like it in my opinion.
    FYI Try to install BeBuzz and she can set different blinking light colors for her incoming different friends - whether calls or BBM. Coming from Android, that should be a cool new feature.
    01-13-12 02:50 PM
    I took the plunge guys and bought her the 9860. Hopefully she likes it.
    She's back tomorrow and I'm hoping to convert and Android user to a BB.
    Will post findings here.
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-15-12 11:54 AM
    Woohoo! Lol
    01-15-12 02:14 PM
    I took the plunge guys and bought her the 9860. Hopefully she likes it.
    She's back tomorrow and I'm hoping to convert and Android user to a BB.
    Will post findings here.
    Let us know what her views are on the 9860 battery life. Brilliant phone no doubt but tends to be like driving a V12 in peak time traffic......juice guzzler.
    01-15-12 05:53 PM
    I would like to hear comments also. Thinking of getting this phone in the near future.
    01-15-12 07:52 PM
    Let us know what her views are on the 9860 battery life. Brilliant phone no doubt but tends to be like driving a V12 in peak time traffic......juice guzzler.
    I have not found this to be a concern. It really depends on what you leave running (FYI I have found a couple apps that drain the battery - but promptly removed them and advised the developer) +posted on CB)
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 01-17-12 at 08:59 PM. Reason: sp
    01-15-12 08:18 PM
    I agree. The battery life has never been an issue for me either and I consider myself a fairly heavy user.
    01-15-12 08:24 PM
    I have not found this to be a concern. It really depends on what you leave running (FYI I have foudn a couple apps taht drain the battery - but promptly removed them and advised the developer) +posted on CB)
    could you share which apps they were? i was hoping to find the post from all your posts, but couldn't find it given the long list. thanks!
    Lyls and Lyls like this.
    01-15-12 11:59 PM
    Reason for switching to BB is because everyone in our friend circle is on BB and BBM and she is feeling kind of left out.
    I don't think I've ever head or read that before. Always the opposite.

I'm truly a BB fan and I have been loyal since '06 I think. But from experience including my 9850, not sure if I can confidently recommend it. I love my 9850 but with the occasional screen freezing annoys me. Even doing a clean wipe Friday nite and installing 7.1, I've already have had to do several battery pulls. Mostly for a media processor msg, and just a bit ago where my phone frozed using the browser. Just typing this post is laggy.
    01-16-12 12:27 AM
    Originally Posted by glassofpinot
    I have not found this to be a concern. It really depends on what you leave running (FYI I have found a couple apps that drain the battery - but promptly removed them and advised the developer) +posted on CB)
    could you share which apps they were? i was hoping to find the post from all your posts, but couldn't find it given the long list. thanks!
    DriveSafe.ly (Pro) was one app that I remember - see below (from December- just in case its been improved since). I honestly can't find the other in my posts - too many.

Unfortunatley this app drains the phone battery, even if it is loaded but not running. At least it did 10 days ago when downloaded from App World. Drained my Torch battery in 3/4 of a day.

I loved it otherwise, but had to take it off.
    apg300 likes this.
    01-17-12 08:53 PM
    I don't think I've ever head or read that before. Always the opposite.

I'm truly a BB fan and I have been loyal since '06 I think. But from experience including my 9850, not sure if I can confidently recommend it. I love my 9850 but with the occasional screen freezing annoys me. Even doing a clean wipe Friday nite and installing 7.1, I've already have had to do several battery pulls. Mostly for a media processor msg, and just a bit ago where my phone frozed using the browser. Just typing this post is laggy.
    My 9850 experience is exactly opposite. Ihave had only two battery pulls in 4+ months usage (and I remember the Storm days of repeated pulls). There must be some App or combination that is causing that - or the phone is defective and should be returned.
    01-17-12 08:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD