I bought an unbranded 9900 off ebay and i only get 3g/2g. I've searched around and I noticed people have "3G/H+ & 2G, 3G/H+, or 2G" for network options. I only have "3G, 2G, 3G & 2G". Does that mean I can't get H+? I'm on fido, but since they use the Roger's network, I should be able to get H+.

My bands under the device info is "3G bands 1,2,5,6", but I noticed people have "3G/H+ bands 1,2,5,6"

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
    01-11-12 01:59 PM
    fido doesnt have H+ yet
    so the options arent there
    01-11-12 02:09 PM
    fido doesnt have H+ yet
    A friend of mine that is also on Fido (uses android) is able to get H+ though.
    01-11-12 02:16 PM
    Same here... Windmobile was suppose to be H+ (3G 3.5) and it only side 3G.

Was roaming on T-Mobile which has 4G and still 3G only. not sure why? At the same time I unable to use Mobile hotspot with Windmobile as I need to enable that service. Called Windmobile and they don't support it yet... so SOL with mobile hotspot.
    01-11-12 02:32 PM
    fido doesnt have H+ yet
    Fido and Rogers are the same company running off the same infrastructure. Rogers has H+, therefore Fido has H+

To the OP, whether you see 3G or H+ depends on where the phone originated, not the carrier you are using it on. In either event, it is purely a marketing/logo difference. If you are getting 3G on Fido, then you are getting H+ speeds (even though it's not displaying).

By the way, welcome to the forum. This topic has been discussed many times - the search function of this site can be very helpful
    01-11-12 02:39 PM
    Same here... Windmobile was suppose to be H+ (3G 3.5) and it only side 3G.

Was roaming on T-Mobile which has 4G and still 3G only. not sure why? At the same time I unable to use Mobile hotspot with Windmobile as I need to enable that service. Called Windmobile and they don't support it yet... so SOL with mobile hotspot.
    Just to clarify, I can't speak to Wind's support of mobile hotspot, but they do run a H+ network. As long as you have the 9900 variant that supports their frequency you will get H+ speeds regardless of what logo the phone displays.
    01-11-12 02:42 PM
    Fido and Rogers are the same company running off the same infrastructure. Rogers has H+, therefore Fido has H+

To the OP, whether you see 3G or H+ depends on where the phone originated, not the carrier you are using it on. In either event, it is purely a marketing/logo difference. If you are getting 3G on Fido, then you are getting H+ speeds (even though it's not displaying).

By the way, welcome to the forum. This topic has been discussed many times - the search function of this site can be very helpful
    Thanks for your reply, is there a reliable way to check my mobile speeds to see if I am getting H+ speeds? I did use the search feature, but no one was in a fido/rogers scenario
    01-11-12 02:50 PM
    H+ is a marketing gimmick in North America because my friends in UK and Germany get faster data speeds than I on Telus with their H+ network.

You have nothing to worry about if your get good data speeds.
    01-11-12 02:55 PM
    Thanks for your reply, is there a reliable way to check my mobile speeds to see if I am getting H+ speeds? I did use the search feature, but no one was in a fido/rogers scenario
    Unfortunately there is no reliable way to check carrier speeds with Blackberry's as all data is 1st passed through RIM's servers, compressed and then sent out to the phone.

There are a couple threads where people have posted their speeds that you can have a look at, but again, it won't be reliable.

Edit: Here are a couple threads where ppl compare speeds:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...normal-684876/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-speed-657202/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-here-675166/
    Last edited by fnord; 01-11-12 at 03:22 PM.
    01-11-12 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD