jesus murphy brown have you ever seen so much checkered board when browsing? thats one thing the ipad 2 has on the playbook, browsing on the playbook is like watching a match between 2 chess grandmasters.

you think rim will improve this? have they said anything?

p.s i still love you playbook, atleast at 200 $
    01-11-12 01:05 PM
    The playbook's browsing speed is on par with iPad 1 for me. It certainly has the hardware to do it, so I guess we just have to wait for updates~!
    01-11-12 01:08 PM
    ah ipad 1,on par with a single core? sounds about right, too bad its supposed to compete with the 2
    01-11-12 01:19 PM
    Try the speed test between them when playing a video on youtube.com.
    01-11-12 01:20 PM
    Really? My Playbook Browser doesn't lag behind my girlfriends ipad. She is always picking up the Playbook first. Maybe u should check your wifi connection
    01-11-12 01:28 PM
    I usually disable flash/Java support and my playbook loads pages faster than my desktop.

Also, using the browser's back button loads the page instantly. I actually consider browsing the strongest point of the PB.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-11-12 01:31 PM
    Checkerboarding on my PB is awful. Installed 2.0b and that was not any better.

My single core 9930 renders full web pages in about the same time as my dual core playbook (using same wifi connnection). Something is seriously messed up with the browser.
    Last edited by Mallet21; 01-11-12 at 01:42 PM.
    01-11-12 01:35 PM
    If you turn off Flash, checkerboarding is greatly reduced. You will almost never see it unless you are trying to. I do not turn it off, because a little checkerboarding doesn't bother me.

Why does it bother you so much? Would you prefer a white screen instead?
    01-11-12 01:37 PM
    jesus murphy brown have you ever seen so much checkered board when browsing? thats one thing the ipad 2 has on the playbook, browsing on the playbook is like watching a match between 2 chess grandmasters.

Maybe your connection sucks cause I only have a problem with that when I am also having connectivity issues with wireless.
    01-11-12 01:43 PM
    I have a playbook and an ipad 1, I get way more checker boarding with my ipad 1
    01-11-12 01:45 PM
    Backhanded compliments by troll threads always welcome.
    01-11-12 01:49 PM
    people need to realize that this isnt a problem thats contained to only the playbook. Both Apple and android tablets can be made to checkerboard. This is a old topic. let the Playbook get its first major update and then we can come back to this topic
    01-11-12 02:14 PM
    Comparing PB with Ipad 1 is a deservice to Playbook. Playbook is dual core Ipad 1 is single core. Neverthless, I don't like the checkerboarding on Playbook. Happens even after the page is fully loaded.
    01-11-12 02:17 PM
    people need to realize that this isnt a problem thats contained to only the playbook. Both Apple and android tablets can be made to checkerboard. This is a old topic. let the Playbook get its first major update and then we can come back to this topic
    Everyone here knows that....there's really only one reason and purpose for this thread.
    01-11-12 02:18 PM
    Hilarious. Funny to realize that people are so happy to generalize their specific problems to the entire population.....and advertise it I do not have any of these problems.
    01-11-12 02:28 PM
    Everyone here knows that....there's really only one reason and purpose for this thread.
    Agreed.

Dissatisfaction with the browser on a product you own = trolling
    01-11-12 02:34 PM
    In my experience, if the user just waits a couple seconds once the page has seemingly loaded before starting to scroll there is virtually no checkerboarding at all.
    01-11-12 02:35 PM
    iPad 2 owners still complain about checkerboarding. These are tablets not laptops. However, when I tried the OS 2 beta pages loaded much faster for me so I'm hoping the official release provides additional improvement.
    01-11-12 02:46 PM
    to the guy above nooo way, even fully loaded i see checkerbaording usually with moderate pictures and video on site. its the thing i wish rim would fix, scrolling and pinch to zoom, it does it but with lag and boarding on certian pages. i guess its becuase iam used to the ipads which is smoother. i still think at this price point playbook is the winner just wish they would tweak a bit more for smoothness.
    01-11-12 02:51 PM
    Backhanded compliments by troll threads always welcome.
    My first thought was two-fold regarding the title of this thread.

1. ChessBook as in a reference the tablet being used in strategic ways to achieve goals set by the user.
    2. ChessBook as in a reference to the slow, deliberate manner in which Research In Motion has tried to strategically position itself as it moves into the next generation of wireless communication.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-11-12 03:02 PM
    My first thought was two-fold regarding the title of this thread.

1. ChessBook as in a reference the tablet being used in strategic ways to achieve goals set by the user.
    2. ChessBook as in a reference to the slow, deliberate manner in which Research In Motion has tried to strategically position itself as it moves into the next generation of wireless communication.
    Well, you thought wrong....twice no less. Must be all that snow and cabin fever.
    01-11-12 03:06 PM
    The checker boarding don't bother me at all, it catches up in less than a second, its just not a problem at all, but maybe OS 2.0 will improve things.
    01-11-12 03:07 PM

I want specifics. Please give thee or four websites where you experience checker-boarding so severe that you think I should be outraged about RIM's failures.

Your question about RIM's plans for improvement is a case of begging the question. It's like asking me if I have plans to stop beating my partner. There is no right answer. I have no partner currently and I wouldn't beat her even if I did have one.

If you really loved your playbook, you would give us enough information to check your hypothesis for ourselves. Or you would ask for advice about how to improve the browser's performance. Instead, you make sweeping statements about one device being better than another. Hardy helpful. BTW, do you have any plans to stop beating YOUR partner?
    sk8er_tor and hpjrt like this.
    01-11-12 03:12 PM
    I get as much checkerboarding as I do on an iPad2. Also, I almost never see it if I disable Flash and/or Javascript. How does the OP think he can even compare a browser that doesn't support Flash to one that does?

Perhaps the iPad should be renamed iDud since it can't even handle Flash, something used on millions of websites!
    01-11-12 03:18 PM
    If the background were white, instead of a checkerboard pattern - nobody would ever even notice

As far as I know, most browsers create the illusion of NOT checkerboarding by offering a more acceptable white background. A lot of it is psychological.

We have become spoiled - the reason you don't see this on a desktop is that you cant turn the scroll wheel that fast.
    hpjrt likes this.
    01-11-12 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD