OK so i searched high and low for information on this issue and all the information i kept finding was not useful. So here's the scenario. We have a BES server that was installed on a 2003 server connected to exchange 2003. we upgraded the exchange box from 2003 to 2010 but left the BES on the 2003 server. The database for BES also resides on the same 2003 server box as BES. We would like to move the BES server on the new 2008 R2 server but the database move is the issue. all the docs Ive read use it in a instance as if the database was on its own SQL box but ours isn't. Ive read the knife cutover and didn't feel that related to what i wanted to do. Anyone have any information on how to move the BES 5.0.3 server off of Server 2003 to Server 2008 R2 without losing data and having to re-add 70 users? I just don't want to have to re-enable each phone one by one after the BES move.
    01-09-12 05:11 PM
    I don't recall the exact steps, but I think we set up the new BES server with a clean database and then used a tool called BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter to migrate the user accounts. Didn't have to do anything on the user's phones.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/..._554166_11.jsp
    MAC20 likes this.
    01-09-12 05:24 PM
    Thanks for the info and link. im going to try this.

*Had to remove the link out your quote, don't have enough post to add links*

I don't recall the exact steps, but I think we set up the new BES server with a clean database and then used a tool called BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter to migrate the user accounts. Didn't have to do anything on the user's phones.
    01-10-12 09:25 AM
    I've done BES migrations both ways- knife-edge cutover and BES transporter tool. While either one works, I like using the transporter because you can move users over as you see fit and make sure they are working without trying to do it all in one shot.

You may need a T-support agreement in order to get an upgrade SRP ID so that you can run both servers at the same time.
    01-23-12 05:03 PM
    Hi,
    I'm so glad to come across this post. I have almost the same scenario, there is a slight urgency as 1 of the mail stores on exchange 2003 servicing a whole floor are corrupt!
    So the scenario is this;
    200+ users on BES 5.01, Only 60 of these users will need moving to the new BES express 5.04 .
    Bes 5.01 has its own local sql express database and besadmin local service and exchange 2003 account and points to exchange 2003 server.
    Bes express 5.04 has it's own local sql express and besadmin local service and exchange 2010 account and points to exchange 2010 server to which there are some users.
    exchange 2003 and exchange 2010 are separate domains in co-existence on the same forrest.
    We will not be migrating the BESADMIN accounts, but want to use blackberry transporter tool to migrate these 60 users from bes 5.01 pointing to exchange 2003 to bes express 5.04 express pointing to exchange 2010.

So on the blackberry transporter tool we would set up a manifest profile source to point to the bes 5.01 and then destination manifest profile to bes 5.04 express. Then migrate the user from exchange 2003 to exchange 2010 and once complete then using bthe blackberry transporter tool using live mode and slecting the manifest profiles migrate the blackberry user over.

Will this work?

Will I need to add create/read/write permissions to server roles/db creator on the sql express databse for both bes servers?

Anything to watch out for

be grateful for any advice.

thanks
    06-23-14 05:50 AM
    Couldn't I just add my new 2008 R2 servers as a third and fourth node of the cluster, and then retire the 2003 servers afterward?

My SQL for this is running on a separate SQL server and that server is not going away.

Thanks for any input!

Mike.
    10-09-14 10:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD