Blackberry just announced on their facebook page that os 7.1 is now officially out!
    When are v getting it on our devices??
    01-09-12 01:07 PM
    it is up to your carrier when they want to distribute an official.
    01-09-12 01:23 PM
    Download and install the leak. Look at the forums main page under "Leaked/Beta OS".

Good luck, and enjoy!
    rgshah3 likes this.
    01-09-12 02:24 PM
    Blackberry just announced on their facebook page that os 7.1 is now officially out!
    When are v getting it on our devices??
    It's not "officially" out, it's a leak. As for when you get it on your device, that is up to you. You'll have it as soon as you decide to install it.
    01-09-12 02:49 PM
    Leak, mmm, maybe not for me but I want an official download as soon as possible. any carrier will do.
    01-09-12 06:06 PM
    I saw that announcement on Facebook, too. It implies that it has been officially released, and I realize that it will be up to my carrier to decide when I can get it. But I think what the original poster is looking for (and I am, as well) is an official copy from any carrier, so that we can be sure it is an official copy, rather than a leaked copy.

I understand they may be pretty much the same, but it is like using a retail version of any software, rather than the beta or pre-release version.

Here is a link to the announcement:
    BlackBerry 7.1 OS and New App Updates Now Available! �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-10-12 10:53 AM
    Leaked and Official are exactly the same, the only difference is if a carrier decides to release it to their customers.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-10-12 11:06 AM
    How fast is AT&T worrying about getting 7.1 out seeing as they just issued a 7.0 update last week?
    01-10-12 11:24 AM
    01-10-12 11:56 AM
    How fast is AT&T worrying about getting 7.1 out seeing as they just issued a 7.0 update last week?
    They're not, at least not until they can make sure to cripple all the stuff they want to charge you extra for first. That is why I installed the leaked version you can find here on these forums.

In fact, I have not run an official AT&T os on my phone since I got it from the AT&T store. The first thing I did was go home, fire up this website and get an updated os. AT&T is ALWAYS behind on os releases anyway, because they are busy crippling things in order to charge you for them before releasing an update, kind of like the Bridge app.
    01-10-12 01:02 PM
    is it just me , cause it doesnt make sense to hype the new 7.1 os on the blackberry site when it isnt available for everyone to download. check for updates my a**, it should be up and running right from the get go imho
    wiggy999 likes this.
    01-10-12 05:46 PM
    I saw that announcement on Facebook, too. It implies that it has been officially released, and I realize that it will be up to my carrier to decide when I can get it. But I think what the original poster is looking for (and I am, as well) is an official copy from any carrier, so that we can be sure it is an official copy, rather than a leaked copy.

I understand they may be pretty much the same, but it is like using a retail version of any software, rather than the beta or pre-release version.

Here is a link to the announcement:
    BlackBerry 7.1 OS and New App Updates Now Available! �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog
    What gives you the impression that there's something different between a leaked OS and an official OS? The titles?
    tsells and homer1475 like this.
    01-10-12 07:13 PM
    I was running 7.0.585 for about a month and I have now been using 7.1.190. Everything has been working fine with my phone, and as usual, there's a few tweeks to make the Torch run better. As for official OS it's the same as a leaked OS, the only thing different is that a official OS was released from a mobile carrier for their customers.
    01-10-12 07:14 PM
    What gives you the impression that there's something different between a leaked OS and an official OS? The titles?
    The leaked one doesn't support CJK.
    01-10-12 11:03 PM
    The leaked one doesn't support CJK.
    What you're referring to is called "Multi-language" support. Has nothing to do with it being leaked or official. There are multi-lang leaks.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-10-12 11:53 PM
    Leaked vs. official.....another debate same as letting your battery drain completely dead as opposed to topping it off. I've always utilized a leaked OS even after the same OS becomes official for a carrier. Don't believe the hype waiting for a carrier(god forbid waiting on at&t) to officially release an OS. Either it's worth a d*mn or it's not- whether leaked or official.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-11-12 12:36 AM
    is it just me , cause it doesnt make sense to hype the new 7.1 os on the blackberry site when it isnt available for everyone to download. check for updates my a**, it should be up and running right from the get go imho
    Don't mean to split hairs, but it is available. If you're referring to OTA updates from your carrier, as others have said it's up to your carrier to release them. Bu you don't need your carrier to package it as an "official" OS to install it. Many "leaks" are official carrier versions from around the world, but may not be adopted by other carriers.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-11-12 01:25 AM
    RIMM releases an OS update. If a carrier picks it up, it is labeled "official"by that carrier. If your carrier does not pick up that same OS update, then they consider it a leak. Either way it is the same update and it has been released by RIMM.

People, whether "leaked" or "official" you can run it on your phone. The only difference is in how you load it on to your phone. "Official" will show up eventually on your phone as an OTA update. "Leaked" release you will have to use your computer to download the update, then delete the vendor file, then load it on your phone through either DTS (desktop server) formerly known as DM, or through my preferred way of AppLoader.

It is the same update. It is no more buggy or less buggy if it is considered "leaked" or "official". If you want to update, then do it. there are very clear instructions how to do it. There are benefits. There are always potential issues that may arise, but often those are resolved with a battery pull or two. How the update runs on a phone is as individual as can be. Despite being the same phone, the phone's response can vary greatly. For me 7.1.0.190 works great. After two days it has settled in and everything is great. If the update did not work well for me, or for you, you can always downgrade to a previous OS.

The thing is, don't panic. If you have problems, the people on this forum will help you. If you want to get the benefits of improved battery life, faster browsing, plus the potential to be a hotspot, then update!
    Mecca EL and swiftex like this.
    01-11-12 07:00 AM
    I don't have BIS at the mo.
    I can instal 'official' updates but I can't install 7.1.190 'leak' (because I don't have BIS)

What's the difference?
    01-11-12 07:54 AM
    I was going to be lazy and wait for Rogers to make 7.1 available...but I am impatient and have been waiting for something like mobile hotspot forever.

Now I can actually use my ipod touch to its full capacity at work! Well, most of what I'd want it to do is already done by the Torch, but some streaming things don't work so well with the Torch. The Jamendo app on the ipod, for one thing (it's not available for OS7 yet....grr).
    01-11-12 10:15 AM
    Where do I download it from?
    01-11-12 06:14 PM
    Where do I download it from?
    Download and install the leak. Look at the forums main page under "Leaked/Beta OS".
    01-12-12 07:14 AM
    7.1.190 works very well for me.
    01-12-12 08:41 AM
    Can't seem to download it.
    01-12-12 10:21 AM
    Is it still necessary to upgrade to 7.0.540 or whatever to install 7.1? I haven't bothered to upgrade from the 7.0.0.254. I guess I need to now, eh?
    01-12-12 01:39 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD