Planning on getting this phone early Feb. Is it okay to buy this phone now? Thanks
    01-08-12 08:57 PM
    Why would it be unsafe, or why was it unsafe. Can you explain why you are reluctant to get the phone? Is it the hardware issues you have been hearing?
    01-08-12 09:25 PM
    It has bricking issue. At least you should wait for official confirmation from RIM that it's fixed, or it would be unsafe to buy.
    Apothegm and mapl like this.
    01-08-12 09:59 PM
    It has bricking issue. At least you should wait for official confirmation from RIM that it's fixed, or it would be unsafe to buy.
    +1. This phone has many issues. I, in your stead, would probably not purchase it until the release of 7.1.

It is funny when people say they will wait for BBX. It will be 2014 before BBX is even usable. All RIM phones have major issues for their first six months, minor issues thereafter.
    01-08-12 10:51 PM
    Yes its safe to buy this phone now. Not to mention fun. I haven't had an issues with mine.
    With att you have 30 days to try it out and Rim has a 1 year warranty. Can't get any safer than that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-12 11:19 PM
    Yes its safe to buy this phone now. Not to mention fun. I haven't had an issues with mine.
    With att you have 30 days to try it out and Rim has a 1 year warranty. Can't get any safer than that.

Can you advice how to get warranty from RIM? I bought the phone via eBay.
    01-08-12 11:24 PM
    Thanks for the responses, I live in PH. We don't have the luxury of returning the phone every now and then. Once we buy it from the store, basically you'll just have to test it and that's it. Store warranty here is not that good. Phone is not cheap either.

Coming from Bold 9650 , I'm choosing either 9860 or Curve 9380.
    01-08-12 11:29 PM
    Can you advice how to get warranty from RIM? I bought the phone via eBay.
    I dunno about that. I've never bought a phone off ebay. I dunno how that works.
    Maybe ask who you buy it from for the orignal reciepts?

01-10-12 05:39 AM
    Thanks for the responses, I live in PH. We don't have the luxury of returning the phone every now and then. Once we buy it from the store, basically you'll just have to test it and that's it. Store warranty here is not that good. Phone is not cheap either.

Coming from Bold 9650 , I'm choosing either 9860 or Curve 9380.
    I'm sorry I tried to figure it out myself but where is PH? I wouldn't suggest for aanybody to buy any phone brand from a company that it's policy is sale is final.
    As much as the masses here want you to believe the other brand smartphones has problems too. Its untrue that blackberrys have problems for 6 months yada yada. For the most part blackberrys is very solid devices. My phones are not babied and my 8310 released in 07 still works flawlessly. As does my 8520, 9700, 9800, and now my 9860.
    I upgraded to the 8520 because I wanted wifi. Then I upgraded to the 9700 because I wanted 3g. I had to have the 9800 because it was touch screen. I upgraded to the 9860 because of the screen size.

01-10-12 06:00 AM
    IMHO, It is safe for you to purchase this Monza 9860. Mine has no problem until now, and hope that It will be no problem until BBX HH coming. I move from Dakota to Monza because of the screen size. Makes me so comfortable to browse the internet, watch my video clip collection and has auto focus function (Dakota doesn't have this feature on its camera).

The weak point from Monza is smaller internal memory storage than Dakota has, and No NFC feature (which, maybe, within this and next year this function will gain an awesome advantageous in our daily life).

If you still doubt to choose Monza, or perhaps you always listen to the local radio (analog), you can choose Orlando instead. As RIM Press Released said, Orlando and Apollo (no touchscreen feature) already has built in analog radio receiver in it, and will be fully function on BB OS 7.1

Hope this can help you you to choose which BB HH is suitable for your need
    01-10-12 10:23 AM
    Been using my 9860 for a month now. I don't have problems with it. My only concern is the battery life, which is primarily because of the 30-40 apps I've downloaded/purchased so far, most of which are data-dependent. Naturally, the more your phone is constantly connecting to the internet, the more it uses up battery charge. Other than that, everything's fine.
    If you really like the phone, go for it. Don't get too confused with what people say (no offense to everyone). People's experiences vary. OS Versions and Network restrictions/limitations vary per country, so there will surely be a mix of feedback on the phone.
    The risks of purchasing a new phone model/design will be generally the same regardless of the manufacturer (hmmm...no intention of starting a looooong discussion here. haha). As far as answering your question goes...it was never "unsafe" to buy the 9860.

By the way, I don't mean to belittle the 9380 (your other choice), but have you checked the specs on that thing? If you're choosing between 9860 and 9380, consider the huge difference in their features, and the not-so-huge gap on their prices.
    Last edited by aj.bb.fanatic; 01-10-12 at 10:53 AM. Reason: addl comment
    01-10-12 10:50 AM
    Almost all handhelds have issues. RIM has in the last 2-3 had allot of software and hardware issues. The latest OS on this device is pretty good. There are still some coding issues with the media player and the virtual keyboard is less than desirable, but otherwise a fairly solid RIM device if your sold on having a BB. In fact, if you're going to get a BB - I'd reccomend this one - with one provisio - take it out of the box - examine it, and if it its perfect - before you use it on day one - get a tough screen protector. Invisible Shield or the like. Don't go cheap. It's a plastic screen and you will be sorry if you don't protect it.
    apg300 likes this.
    01-10-12 11:24 AM
    WRONG THIS SCREEN IS PLASTIC and plastic screens will scratch. It might not be noticeable when the screen is lit at first, but if you intend to have the device for 2 years it would be foolish to go unprotected.
    01-10-12 06:35 PM
    Have had my 9850 for over a month now and no problems with it.
    BBplaybookJS likes this.
    01-10-12 06:46 PM
    Its as safe as buying any other phone out there.

Love my 9860!!
    apg300 likes this.
    01-10-12 07:05 PM
    I switched from a 9700 to a 9860. Was afraid of the touch-screen keyboard, had it a week now, things are getting better. Trying to get used to scrolling the screen, it is opposite direction of the Track-Pad. AT&T has it for $99, got mine from Walmart for$20.
    01-10-12 08:15 PM
    I'm sorry I tried to figure it out myself but where is PH? I wouldn't suggest for aanybody to buy any phone brand from a company that it's policy is sale is final.
    As much as the masses here want you to believe the other brand smartphones has problems too. Its untrue that blackberrys have problems for 6 months yada yada. For the most part blackberrys is very solid devices. My phones are not babied and my 8310 released in 07 still works flawlessly. As does my 8520, 9700, 9800, and now my 9860.
    I upgraded to the 8520 because I wanted wifi. Then I upgraded to the 9700 because I wanted 3g. I had to have the 9800 because it was touch screen. I upgraded to the 9860 because of the screen size.

Philippines, it takes them ages to have the phone replaced/repaired. I think I'll just have to wait a little while to get this phone.
    01-11-12 04:45 AM
    I live in the philippines. And got the torch 9860 last nov.3. And have no issues with it. And just updated it to 7.1.0.190 when it came out and yes. Its safe to get this phone. And yeah the only os 7 devices sold by carrier is bold 9900 and curve 9360. But if you'll buy it on greenhills. Which is a gray market of gadgets.
    01-11-12 05:35 AM
    Update: RIM just launched the remaining OS 7 devices in the philippines today.
    01-11-12 09:35 AM
    For your information, looking at upgrading one of our blackberries, was told today by Bell Canada the 9860 has been discontinued, at least by Bell
    01-11-12 09:39 AM
    For your information, looking at upgrading one of our blackberries, was told today by Bell Canada the 9860 has been discontinued, at least by Bell
    Any reason why?
    01-12-12 06:36 PM
    Yes Im with Bell too. I went into a bell store today and i was told by the store manager, they didnt have it and they think its being discontinued. I personally thought they just didnt have stock in their store. Now that i read BBplaybookJS comment, this just might be the case. Now do i try to hunt one of these puppies down at another location? Why would they discontinue them???? I was like 95% sold on getting this because im coming from a storm touch blackberry. Therefore i dont need the physical keyboard cause im use to the all touch one.
    01-12-12 08:45 PM
    If that's the case and it is discontinued than I can't imagine why!! The 9860 is a great phone.
    01-12-12 09:08 PM
    Any reason why?
    I asked they said they did not know, so I went with the 9810
    01-13-12 08:03 PM
    If that's the case and it is discontinued than I can't imagine why!! The 9860 is a great phone.
    I'm not saying it isn't, but seeing there was only one left in the province and they aren't getting anymore I crossed it off my list
    01-13-12 08:06 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD