A quiet BlackBerry Internet Service upgrade has been rolled out that according to many is resulting in much quicker e-mail delivery over IMAP. Traditionally, only those on BlackBerry Enterprise Server would get their e-mail pushed to their handset instantly, and BIS users had to wait 10-15 minutes for delivery. Now anyone getting their BIS e-mail via servers that support IMAP IDLE will receive messages in real-time as the standard was designed to provide. It�s great to see the upgrade, especially for BIS users who have had less-than-stellar delivery times, but you have to wonder why it took so long for IMAP IDLE to be supported.
    Link

I tried with Gmail and it doesn't seem to be working for me... on Sprint...
    09-04-08 06:02 PM
    Gmail is pop not imap
    However I am getting gmail instantly on rogers bold

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-08 06:11 PM
    Gmail is pop not imap
    However I am getting gmail instantly on rogers bold

Gmail is POP or IMAP... no?
    09-04-08 06:13 PM
    Sorry JHill, but Gmail can be accessed via POP or IMAP. I don't have my Gmail set up on my BB so I really can't test.
    09-04-08 06:19 PM
    that's what I understood... just that IMAP wasn't instantaneous like POP was...
    09-04-08 06:24 PM
    09-04-08 06:27 PM
    that's what I understood... just that IMAP wasn't instantaneous like POP was...
    POP is never instantaneous.
    IMAP can be instantaneous if IMAP IDLE is supported by the server.

You got it -all- wrong.
    09-04-08 07:13 PM
    Gmail is imap or pop. I get my gmail instantly. Whenever I place a bid or win something on ebay, I get the confirmation on my gmail instantly.
    09-04-08 08:09 PM
    POP is never instantaneous.
    IMAP can be instantaneous if IMAP IDLE is supported by the server.

You got it -all- wrong.
    Funny... my gmail is set up as POP and I get my email instantaneously.... or what I meant to say is that YOU got it all wrong...
    Last edited by irondad; 09-04-08 at 09:11 PM.
    09-04-08 09:08 PM
    sorry I made a mistake
    used to having the crappy iphone which was using pop and have never noticed the imap setting
    which I have been using on my bb
    getting my emails instantly so yes you can get them instantly
    09-04-08 10:02 PM
    POP isn't instantaneous. IMAP IDLE is as close as you get. Gmail is instantaneous because Google and RIM have a special connection established that I think is probably neither POP or IMAP and delivers instantly.
    09-04-08 11:40 PM
    where do I go to set up this "special connection" for Gmail?

09-04-08 11:46 PM
    09-04-08 11:54 PM
    I haven't been able to get true IMAP with my settings, I'm going to try again and follow these steps, hopefully it will work.
    09-05-08 12:23 AM
    I have IMAP set up on gmail but Im still not getting emails instantly.. it's still taking up to 15 mins. I have re-sent my service books..
    any ideas?
    09-06-08 11:25 AM
    Weird, I'm getting my gmail messages much faster now. Have not determined if it's instant though.
    09-06-08 01:44 PM
    Yep, my IMAP account is receiving e mails instantly...

09-07-08 02:47 AM
    If you are still getting IMAP messages very slowly from Gmail, like 10-15 minute delay, then I would suggest completely deleting your Gmail account from BIS and re-adding it.

I had IMAP set up since they first supported it and wasn't getting any speed increases after they added IMAP IDLE. Once I deleted and re-added my Gmail account in BIS, they started delivering pretty quickly.

BTW, I too had first tried to resend the service books, but that doesn't work.
    09-10-08 03:02 PM
    No dice for me. I even deleted my account, restarted my BB, and then added the account. Still nothing.

I actually have a proxy running between BIS and my IMAP server. I can plainly see BIS logging out after every connection. And my server lists IDLE when sent the capability command.

So this is either a gmail only feature, or it is slowly being rolled out??

Is anyone with a non-gmail account getting the IDLE feature to work?
    09-12-08 07:28 PM
    No dice for me. I even deleted my account, restarted my BB, and then added the account. Still nothing.

I actually have a proxy running between BIS and my IMAP server. I can plainly see BIS logging out after every connection. And my server lists IDLE when sent the capability command.

So this is either a gmail only feature, or it is slowly being rolled out??

Is anyone with a non-gmail account getting the IDLE feature to work?
    Some mail servers don't implement IMAP IDLE properly (I'm looking at you, Courier-Imapd). I'm running my own IMAP server with Dovecot IMAP and my mail is getting instantly pushed. So, it's not Gmail-specific.
    09-12-08 07:56 PM
    Some mail servers don't implement IMAP IDLE properly (I'm looking at you, Courier-Imapd). I'm running my own IMAP server with Dovecot IMAP and my mail is getting instantly pushed. So, it's not Gmail-specific.
    Of course Courier is what my server runs. Argh, well no big deal I already have a proxy in between BIS and the server to correct the NAMESPACE issue.

Now I just have to figure out what BIS wants to see in order to make this work properly.

Thanks
    09-12-08 08:02 PM
    Gmail has ALWAYS been instant, always...

09-13-08 09:42 PM
    Gmail has ALWAYS been instant, always...

Not for everyone. Many of us received email in the typical 15 minute window. Lately, within the past week or so, it seems much faster though.
    09-14-08 12:02 PM
    weird, I have been using BIS and i always got my imap emails quick on my bb. I dont know about instantly, but i get my emails on my Bb always before they come on my PC. The email will be sitting on my BB, and I will press send/receive on my PC but it still does not come for a few minutes.
    09-14-08 02:29 PM
    My BIS accounts have both reverted to 15-20 minutes polling delays in the last day or so. Anyone else having this issue? Anyone know how to fix it? I'm on Verizon.
    09-19-08 09:29 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD