This evening my PB low battery warning came on at 9%. I quickly hooked it to the rapid charger and started my timer. While continuing to use the PB for Crackberry and browsing, it took 1hr and 53min to take it to 100% and plug icon to come on. Next time I'll time it in standby. FWIW
    01-08-12 01:43 AM
    This evening my PB low battery warning came on at 9%. I quickly hooked it to the rapid charger and started my timer. While continuing to use the PB for Crackberry and browsing, it took 1hr and 53min to take it to 100% and plug icon to come on. Next time I'll time it in standby. FWIW
    The rapid charger / dock is great. I bought three. One for the office, once for updatirs by my bed and one for downstairs in the study. On rare occasions it doesn't seem to charge even though the rapid-charge lightning bolt is shown. Don't know why, but it just keeps draining battery while it's on the dock. Happens infrequently. Once you reboot though it starts back charging. Sometime just putting in sleep the placing back on the dock also works.
    01-08-12 05:59 AM
    Rapid charger is actually rapid and even works with dead battery start playing movies...
    01-08-12 06:12 AM
    For months I stuck with the standard travel charger. It works fine, and it's tough to beat free. But bought my wife a PB bundle for Christmas. Among the bundle items was a dock and a rapid charger - she didn't need both. I use an OB cover, so the dock was out for me. Tried the rapid charger and love it. Love the way the pins connect with a magnet rather than plugging in a USB. (I've been concerned for some time that the USB port would eventually get loose on my PB with so much use). It is a great accessory.
    01-08-12 06:31 AM
    I like and use the rapid charger most of the time and since I have the Blurex Slim Case, I don't have to take it off to charge the PB.
    01-08-12 09:11 AM
    How does that compare to the standard charger?
    I've never had the battery that low or checked the time it needed to charge. I'm usually asleep when that's happening.
    01-08-12 10:17 AM
    The rapid charger / dock is great. I bought three. One for the office, once for updatirs by my bed and one for downstairs in the study. On rare occasions it doesn't seem to charge even though the rapid-charge lightning bolt is shown. Don't know why, but it just keeps draining battery while it's on the dock. Happens infrequently. Once you reboot though it starts back charging. Sometime just putting in sleep the placing back on the dock also works.
    Yes, the "false" lightning bolt has been discussed in a few threads. I can definitely recreate it. I have an Otterbox on my pb. If I attach the rapid charger (not the dock, although the dock uses the same attachment magnetic mechanism) with the wire exiting to the right, the plug winds up not making full contact as the case interferes. The Lightning Bolt will show but it is NOT charging. Fiddling can sometimes fix it but with the wire going LEFT there is no problem.

In discussions, some of use concluded that if you look carefully at the plug end, the 3 spring-loaded pins do not all stick out the same (one is slightly recessed). so that all 3 pins do not make contact if the contact/seating is not complete. But two pins seems to be all the pb needs to show the Lightning Bolt but not charge. And use during this false bolt will deplete the battery even if you think it is charging.

Peter (Battery Guru) actually operated on a DOCK and leveled the lower pin to fix the issue.

But the rapid charger is great - no unnecessary force on the usb, fast charging and I can attach it without looking (in a dark room). And it frees up the normal pb charger to charge my 9650/Bold faster, too. (Rim sells the 'pb' charger as a rapid charger for its phones so it is safe)
    AggreX, DaveTheA, jafobabe and 1 others like this.
    01-08-12 10:18 AM
    Rapid Charging Travel (Magnetic) is a 2 thumbs up charger, and I don't have to remove any case to use it.

BTW, charged up the PB last PM when she was at 18%, and in 40 minutes or so, I had100%. Oh, if you don't have a Staples newr by, can be had from Walmart for $22.00.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-08-12 10:36 AM
    You should see no appreciable difference rapid charging with the PlayBook in use or on standby (or off). That charger, unlike the included one, doesn't max out at any current level which the PlayBook charging software is willing to pump into the battery (specifically, almost 10W). If you need an extra 2-3W to use the device, it will do it, no problem, while still supplying almost 10W to the batteries.

The regular charger, in contrast, can only provide about 8W (ballpark... I haven't measured lately and don't recall the exact value) which means if you're using the tablet, there's only about 5W left to charge the battery.

Note that this is the only reason the rapid charger is described as "up to 2 times faster"... if you're charging in standby it's definitely not that much faster, but if using the tablet it can be that much.

(For those interested in measuring this, note that charge current is at a maximum from 0% up to 60-70%. Once you get that high the software starts to limit the current gradually, until it's down around 1.5A as you reach 100%. That means you won't be able to see any difference in charge time if you're not below 70%, and any results will be muddled a bit by the fact that the charging is linear only from 0 to 60% or so.)

0 to 100% charge time for regular charger should be about 3.6h with the tablet on standby and longer if in use. For rapid charger should be about 3.2h whether it's on standby or in use.
    Chaddface and jafobabe like this.
    01-08-12 10:45 AM
    Rapid Charging Travel (Magnetic) is a 2 thumbs up charger, and I don't have to remove any case to use it.

BTW, charged up the PB last PM when she was at 18%, and in 40 minutes or so, I had100%. Oh, if you don't have a Staples newr by, can be had from Walmart for $22.00.
    Can a Rapid Charger be used with a convertible case without removing the case?

Having the cord (from the charger that came with the device) in the way - in front of the flap, just bugs me when I try and charge while simultaneously using the Playbook.
    01-08-12 11:17 AM
    The rapid charger uses the right-most port. So it could interfere with some cases or not. It can connect in either direction - just make sure it is seated fully so that all pins make contact.

Here's some pictures I captured a while back. One shows the recessed pin, the other the component parts.
    Attached Thumbnails For those curious about the rapid charger-rapidpcharger3.jpg  
    Last edited by F2; 01-08-12 at 11:56 AM.
    bbzoomr and jafobabe like this.
    01-08-12 11:54 AM
    I use the Rapid Charger only, and can charge with the convertable case on, folded over (screen uncovered). I do pry it out of my hands and let it sit on the table while charging, and as soon as it's done, I'm using it again.
    bbzoomr likes this.
    01-08-12 12:02 PM
    Just tap the battery icon after docking the Playbook and watch the battery %. If it doesnt tick up at least 1% within 2 minutes, it needs to be re-docked.
    DaveTheA and jafobabe like this.
    01-08-12 03:37 PM
    Yup, common issue for their rapid charging stand. Too bad that their best accessory is a flop. Great when it works, but I'd rather have a reliable product. Personally, when I learned my charging stand wasn't reliable any more it was the first crack in my loyalty to RIM. Don't bash me for that. I like my product working 100% of the time without fiddling. Now I have to fiddle with the stand heavily to get it to work. Usually pulling the playbook off the stand very slowly will cause the magnet to pull the recessed pin up into place.
    01-08-12 04:28 PM
    And I discovered that rim does not offer any kind of warranty on the Rapid Charger. Deal with the store is the only recourse. (although I have to say, that they made an exception since I was led on a merry chase trying to find out what was what with warranty or defects in the rapid charger - they sent me a replacement gratis)
    01-08-12 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD