I've finally been able to root and install Market.

I want to upgrade to 2.0.6419, but incase I mess up or my root is blocked by RIM, I want to ensure I have a proper fall back plan so I can go back to my current rooted version of 2.0.4189.

So basically I'm asking if the BB Desktop Software will do a complete backup so I can restore the PB back to my rooted 2.0.4189 ?

Secondly, my friend also have a PB. Instead of going through the hassle of trying to root his PB, can I use the BB Desktop Software to restore my backup onto his PB so that he'll automatically be rooted ?
    01-07-12 11:07 PM
    as for a back up you can use DM
    it will not back up all of your media, but it will your settings and stuff, all of your apps will be re downloadable from app world.

and no, your friend will have to individually root his PB.
    01-08-12 02:11 PM
    I could have missed a step, but when I tried to restore my PB yesterday, I basically had to start fresh.

I've not had the battery performance I think I should have, so on advice from another thread, I decided to follow some steps provided by another poster. I backed up my PB as it was at that point, and then proceeded to reinstall the OS as outlined by the poster. When it finished, I was back to the original OS (1. something). When I tried to restore through DM, I got an error that said it couldn't restore because of the incorrect OS. I then had to reinstall the latest 2.0 beta and then restore...Worked, other than the fact that it only restored my media files. Have had to go back and reconfigure everything and reinstall my sideloaded apps.

Of course, I've not tinkered with the DM settings at all, so the entire issue could have been my fault to begin with. No biggie though, cause other than the time lost redoing stuff, it's just helping me to be more comfortable with the whole process. Somethings are worth repeating.
    01-09-12 07:28 AM
    I wonder if a disk cloning software like clonezilla would be able to fully backup every single file on the PB. This would save a lot of time for people that mess up the PB while moving up to other OS versions.

Anyone know how I can fully clone my PB ?
    01-09-12 08:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD