Hi guys, I'm sorry if this has been disgussed ad nauseum but I'm not quite sure I understand the benefits of newly released 7.1 mobile hotspot on one's BB phone vs using BB bridge functionality. Is the only benefit the ability to have appworld run at carrier speeds over carrier network vs wifi at home/public? Apart from appworld (as far as I can tell) I have full access to get my PB on the web with bridge. Am I missing any other benefits or is that about it? Sorry if it's been asked already but I couldnt't find an answer elsewhere that satisfied my curiosity.
    01-05-12 08:19 PM
    Mobile Hotspot allows other devices (for example a computer, iPad, iPod Touch, etc) to use the BlackBerry as a WiFi Hotspot.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-05-12 08:28 PM
    ^^^^ Yep.

Mobile Hotspot makes BB devices infinitely more attractive to potential buyers, as it creates connectivity options for more type of devices. Just among tablet users, way more use non-BB tabs than those that do.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-05-12 08:33 PM
    Best to call your carrier to get information on the HotSpot option. Some carriers do charge extra for the hotspot wifi on your phone.
    And it does allow you to hook other devices as Switchbeach mentioned above.

The bridge (from your BB phone to PB) does not incure extra charges as long as you do not go over your monthly DATA plan.
    bbvj and kbz1960 like this.
    01-05-12 08:45 PM
    So Mobile HotSpot is tethering?
    01-05-12 08:48 PM
    Anyone know how much AT&T would charge for this? I just want to know how much bridge is saving me
    So I can gloat.
    01-05-12 08:49 PM
    Anyone know how much AT&T would charge for this? I just want to know how much bridge is saving me
    So I can gloat.
    Looks like $20 a month plus? maybe?

AT&T: Mobile Hotspot Service Costs $20 A Month - Company Raises Maximum Data Cap To 4GB To Allow For Multi-Device Use | DSLReports.com, ISP Information
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-05-12 08:53 PM
    So then just to clarify: if I have a BB phone there's no benefit/use to use MH on my Playbook. I should just keep using Bridge?
    01-05-12 08:55 PM
    So then just to clarify: if I have a BB phone there's no benefit/use to use MH on my Playbook. I should just keep using Bridge?
    Well it might be a tad faster. My experience is that it wasn't much if at all. That could just be my network and I don't have h+ only 3g.
    01-05-12 08:59 PM
    So Mobile HotSpot is tethering?
    I THINK (correct me if I'm wrong) that the HotSpot option is different than the tethering.
    Best to call your carrier, or look on line with your account, to see what they would charge for tethering and or Hotspot, and what the information within each says it does.
    01-05-12 09:05 PM
    hotspot will not give you bridge features (email, calendar etc).

Hotspot will be faster on faster than 3G networks. Otherwise you bridge and hotspot will be around the same speed on a 3G network most times.

Bridge is free for most providers, att charges for it but that is the only I know of. Hotspot is something that several carriers will charge for. You can see if you can use hotspot and if you carrier detects and charges for it. Some wont so you will be able to use it for free but you might want to check with your provider to get official answers.
    01-05-12 09:08 PM
    the only two things i use hotspot vs bridge for are app world....and playing modern combat 2
    01-05-12 09:33 PM
    hi! on bridge my carrier dont allow youtube but works over hotspot.
    another point is battery life, bridge require more than hotspot (on my experience bb9900 4g carrier and pb os beta 2)
    01-05-12 10:08 PM
    on Bell Canada with an android phone. I don't incur extra fees from my carrier using hotspot. Its faster but as was stated, if you own a bb phone you won't get the bridging email and calender if you use wifi.
    01-05-12 10:13 PM
    Thanks for the clarification everyone. I figured that was the case but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing the big picture!
    01-05-12 10:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD