Hello,
    I have been following the recent US (and CAN) PB offers and saw that in the UK, too, the price has been dropped - albeit not as dramatically.

Current deals are:
    PB 16GB - �169
    PB 32GB - �199 ($310)
    PB 64GB - �329 ($510)

I woud really like to get a 64GB one as I know I'll be running out of space sooner rather than later. But considering that over here I will get charged �129 for 32GB of memory I am wondering if I should just go for a 32GB one.

How do people with 32GB PB's get on in terms of storage space? I will want to use mine for watching films, browsing and a bit of music although I have an old iPod classic so I wont need too much space for that. BUt it would be nice to keep a variety of films on there for traveling, TV shows for children etc.

Do people use a lot of cloud storage and then stream/copy as required? What about the prospect of having USB host support for drives (without using a root kit) in future upgrades?

Does anybody think that the prices in the UK will drop further?
    01-05-12 08:38 AM
    In reply:

1. I have a 16GB version and it's plenty for me. With all the latest updates (OS and default games) and also a few apps, it gives me about 10GB free storage. A 2 hour HD movie takes up just under 1.5GB so I have enough for a few of these plus hundreds of MP3's for a typical 7 hour flight.

2. Personally, I would get a 16GB one if you will be using the Playbook lightly (as I do) or the 32GB version if you are planning on using it heavily. I wouldn't bother with a 64GB version because of the price hike for an extra 32GB memory.

3. I don't use any cloud storage, it's waste of time and I prefer to keep things local on my PC where I an copy to and from quicker and easier than any cloud storage rubbish. Streaming video like YouTube works fine over wifi, not tried it over 3G when synched with a BB handset because of the limited bandwith you get in the UK (500MB per month).

4. Don't know about USB host drive support, would be a nice-to-have but not essential for me. The PB works just fine as a host device attached to a PC where I can copy files back and forth without using Desktop Manager.

5. The PlayBook was 200 quid before Xmas and then dropped to �169. Even if you bought it at �169 and the price dropped further, it's still an outstanding buy at 170 quid. Compare it with the cheap Android crap at the same price and it's a no brainer, the PB is streets ahead in quality, functionality and loveliness. Dive in whilst prices are keen because once the Android compatibility is available, there's likely to be more demand for the PB.
    Last edited by Dark_Horse; 01-05-12 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling mistakes
    bigbamboo likes this.
    01-05-12 09:18 AM
    In reply:

1. I have a 16GB version and it's plenty for me. With all the latest updates (OS and default games) and also a few apps, it gives me about 10GB free storage. A 2 hour HD movie takes up just under 1.5GB so I have enough for a few of these hundreds of plus MP3's for a typical 7 hour flight.

2. Personally, I would get a 16GB one if you will be using the Playbook lightly (as I do) or the 32GB version if you are planning on using it heavily. I wouldn't bother with a 64GB version because of the price hke for an extra 32GB memory.

3. I don't use any cloud storage, it's waste of time and I prefer to keep things local on my PC where I an copy to and from quicker and easier than any cloud storage rubbish. Streaming video like YouTube works fine over wifi, not tried it over 3G when synched with a BB handset because of the limited bandwith you get in the UK (500MB per month).

4. Don't know about USB host drive support, would be a nice-t0-have but not essential for me. The PB works just fine as a host device attahced to a PC where I can copy files back and forth without using Desktop Manager.

5. The PlayBook was 200 quid before Xmas and then dropped to �169. Even if you bought it at �169 and the price dropped further, it's still an outstanding buy at 170 quid. Compare it with the cheap Android crap at the same price and it's a no brainer, the PB is streets ahead in quality, functionality and loveliness. Dive in whilst prices are keen because once the Android compatibility is available, there's likely to be more demand for the PB.
    I agree with all you say. I purchased mine on boxing day. I have the 16gb and it will be fine with storage for movies, some music and games.
    So far, I am loving it. It is such a well built device.
    01-05-12 09:38 AM
    Hi,

I decided to buy my one less than week ago. I'm not sure about other prices drops, but in my personal opinion:
    PB 16GB - �169
    PB 32GB - �199
    is really good price. I haven't decided to buy 64GB - price was too high. I was thinking about 32, but eventually I've decided for 16GB.

I just pop-in to Currys / PC World, they had 16GB model in stock, I bought and left. End of the story.

Compare it with the cheap Android crap at the same price and it's a no brainer, the PB is streets ahead in quality, functionality and loveliness. Dive in whilst prices are keen because once the Android compatibility is available, there's likely to be more demand for the PB.
    That's true. Friend of mine bought more than one month ago Archos 10" - price was dropped - CW offers in cheapest price, but he was exchanged it four or five times, because still something were wrong. Last time, when he brought his Archos, they couldn't replace - sent to repair.
    Last edited by Nasedo73; 01-05-12 at 09:42 AM.
    01-05-12 09:38 AM
    i got the 32gb one from carphone warehouse for �199. As you say its not worth an extra �120 for the 64gb imo, but 32gb for �30 more than the 16gb is a no brainer. Your guess is as good as ours re pricing, but they might sell out or go up. Good luck. Gaz
    01-05-12 09:48 AM
    I originally bought the 16g at Currys for 169 + free case worth �29. A few days later when I saw the 32g for only �30 more I asked if they would swap for me and they obliged! I managed to keep the free case too!
    01-05-12 10:41 AM
    i too have plumped for the 32Gb variety - very pleased - just ordered the rapid charger from amazon sounds a better way of charging than via the micro USB - you can get the 64Gb for 319 at e2save.

i think the 64 might fall a tad further in jan/early feb - just a matter of waiting .....
    01-05-12 12:03 PM
    i went for 32g and even though i paid �230 i'm very happy. seems as much memory as i need without the big price jump to 64g......
    01-05-12 12:23 PM
    i got my dad to buy me the 64GB version in the states and it was �197
    01-05-12 01:05 PM
    I would go with the 32GB mostly because when OS2 is launched it will be bigger and use more space than at present. I am hopeful that other apps will come out after that and use up even more space.
    01-05-12 01:27 PM
    Many thanks for all the helpful replies. I ordered a 32GB PB yesterday for �199 which is �50 cheaper than a 32GB iPod Touch!

Really excited now!
    01-06-12 04:08 AM
    got the 16GB version from PCW.
    01-06-12 04:52 AM
    I have the 16GB

I think once the android apps arrive and native email client in 2.0

The price will go back up.
    01-06-12 05:11 AM
    I have the 16GB

I think once the android apps arrive and native email client in 2.0

The price will go back up.
    Not a chance.
    01-06-12 05:43 AM
    Congrats on the new purchase! If you do a price-to-space ratio comparison you see that the 32GB version is actually the best deal with the 64 coming in a close second. That said, I have the 32 version and use it almost exclusively for movies, music, and web browsing. A little bit of work goes on but not nearly enough to warrant it a 'business tablet' at the moment.

That said, if you plan on keeping 20 movies on your tablet at any given time, all in HD 720p, you'll run short on space... but then do you really need them all sitting there stagnant, watched twenty times over? Music is another beast but movies are what will eat up all your space for no purpose.

I say grab a Box download from appworld, sign up online, register for the 50GB free addon PB users are offered, and more than double the space your PB was originally designed for. Keep your movies in the clouds while using the freed up space to hold the beautiful pictures and videos you'll take with the on-board cameras!

Congrats again... I hope you'll love your PB like the rest of us!
    funkymothers likes this.
    01-06-12 06:28 AM
    I got the 16gb, I am tempted to keep an eye on the prices and next payday get the 32gb one and let the missus have the 16gb, or just get another 16gb one for her.

I find I am using it more than my laptop which is becoming worrying... lol.
    01-06-12 06:36 AM
    Got to agree with everything said here, i bought the 16gb on new years eve at currys for �169, and after using a galaxy tab for 6 month its like night and day. i love the playbook so much.come the end of the month buy another for my wife, i mean for the price its the same price as an 8g ipod touch but offers far more value even if you just use it for music and movies. i also picked up a cheap 8520 blackberry phone and bridged it to use on the go,no more looking for wifi just tether phone and done.
    01-06-12 07:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD