I have been a big Black user / supporter for a number of years�but this 9930 issue may be the last straw for me.

I�m on my 3rd 9930, and all suffer from the same problem�they magically stop ringing. This morning, the lack of audible sound prevented the alarm from going off. The only fix is a battery pull... I�ve tried a number of different OS�, including the Verizon default build, and unfortunately, the problem continues to randomly reoccur. A BlackBerry is a phone first and foremost, and it�s inability to ring is causing me to miss important calls, and now to oversleep. Totally unacceptable.
    01-04-12 08:21 AM
    Are you using the native program that came with the phone or a 3rd party software that offers alarms as well?
    01-04-12 08:30 AM
    native phone alarm...
    01-04-12 08:37 AM
    re you using a "flashlight" app? If so, see if the "sound" feature is missing after using the app. I'm running 9930/7.1.0.163 and found that my Jared Co. Flashlight caused this bug; deleted and problem solved. Let me know and also let me know if you want specfics to why this happens in regards to the flashlight apps. Cheers
    bluetroll likes this.
    01-04-12 09:25 AM
    I was using One Touch Flashlight (paid) edition.

Would love the details. thanks!
    01-04-12 09:38 AM

Email Jared Co. and they will provide you a version that will not cause this notification issue.

[email protected]

I'll give you more details in a second......boss is coming!
    bluetroll likes this.
    01-04-12 12:42 PM

There's your problem... follow the above post. I still have yet to do that.

Just uninstall it for now. Everytime you use that app it causes the problem. Battery pulls fix it only until you use the flashlight app again.
    01-04-12 01:02 PM
    excellent, thanks. Wiped my BB earlier... no loading any apps on this thing until it proves it can run smooth for a few days. groan
    01-04-12 01:06 PM
    With OS7, the API doesn't let go of the "video recording" portion of the app it opens in order for these torch apps to work. Thus your device believes video recording is still being utilized, which disables all audible functions. Again, Jared Co. will provide a version that will not cause this "bug".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    bluetroll likes this.
    01-04-12 01:14 PM
    I opened a case with them--not sure whay they just wouldn't put the version that worked on App World.
    01-04-12 01:38 PM
    I have the same problem and have just sent them an email.
    01-26-12 08:02 AM
    snap! you're right!!!

i installed 7.1.0.210 from .190 and thought that was the reason my sound kept going away.

i ended up downgrading back to .190

thanks for this post!!!
    01-26-12 09:07 AM
    snap! you're right!!!

i installed 7.1.0.210 from .190 and thought that was the reason my sound kept going away.

i ended up downgrading back to .190

thanks for this post!!!
    All you gotta do is send the app developer an email. They will in return send you a link for the app that will not cause this issue. Then you can keep your newer OS.
    01-26-12 09:57 AM
    i have a flashlight app too and the ring tones stop working after using it, and now that you mention I think it is because of the app..
    01-26-12 03:45 PM
    Jarad has an updated version of there flashlight app that has solved this issue. Have been using for a couple weeks with no problem.
    01-26-12 03:59 PM
    I use to use the flashlight frm Jared as well and had the same problem. I deleted it and now use a app named the light from app world and have had no problems since.
    01-26-12 04:12 PM
    I have the same problem with my Blackberry 9930 on Verizon after Blackberry OS 7.1 was pushed to the device. I believe I have traced my problem to the attempted use of the "Voice Search" feature in either the Google Search app or Google Maps. I say attempted, because the "Voice Search" function no longer works in either application after the update to OS 7.1. After attempting to use the voice search function in either app, my ringer will either be at a very low volume or be totally off regardless of the ringer/profile setting. A battery pull or soft reset via the [alt] - [right shift] - [del] combination is the only thing that appears to be able to restore the ringer to normal operation. I have disabled the voice search function in the Google Search app options menu to prevent me from accidentally trying to use it, but there appears to be no such option to disable the voice search function in the Google Maps app, so I'll just have to remember to not try using it until Google and/or RIM fixes the problem.
    01-27-12 12:45 PM
    It's definitely an app issue guys. It happened before when I had the flashlight app. Removing the app fixed it.
    It just happened again with my pinball game. I had a paused game that I didn't exit out of the game, it's just in the background and
    it caused all my alerts and ringers to not sound. I exit out of the game and it worked, open the game in the background and it didn't work again and then again
    exit it out and it works.
    There could be a number of other games/apps out there that will affect your sound options and so test them out, exit all other apps or uninstall any recent apps that may have
    caused this.
    good luck
    10-17-12 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD