I have a nice new Curve 9300 3G. Blackberry maps (6.0.0.32) seems to be installed OK - it appears in Application Management on the phone, and shows as installed on the Blackberry Desktop manager on my PC. But no icon to be found on the Curve. My service plan is with a virtual provider in the UK called Giffgaff which uses the O2 network. At the moment they do not support BIS or BES. Is this the reason why I have no Maps icon? Or is there another problem?
    aliakber likes this.
    01-04-12 06:18 AM
    You can't use BlackBerry Data Features such as BlackBerry Maps without an active BlackBerry Data Plan (BIS or BES).
    01-04-12 11:10 AM
    Ah OK. Thanks for the clarification.
    01-04-12 12:27 PM
    I'm having the same issue with Giffgaff and my Curve 3G, the App is installed in the application list but there is no Icon. Annoyingly things like Whatsapp location function seems to use the BB Maps as the backdrop to display a Buddy's location meaning all you get is a blank screen with a location arrow. Its the same story the native browser not working on GSM.

I've been on and on to Giffgaff though their forum saying they need to enable the Maps and browser service books on my account and every time I get the same overtly cheerful answer of "Everything looks fine on the account, have you tried rebooting your phone?" Either they don't know what a service book is or as they are piggybacking O2 there is a problem there.

As a trial I got a "3" prepay SIM and requested all Blackberry service books. With in minutes of leaving the shop and an advised battery pull I was sat in the car park up and running, BB World, BBM AND Maps and the Native browser was working under GSM.

The same problem is with the native Web browser. It works fine under WiFi conditions but not under GSM conditions. The Accepted workaround is to install Opera mini or another 3rd party browser and use that. Again I assume another service book GiffGaff get stuck on.

It seems with GG great if you want cheap calls and a million free Texts but as there is no customer service to speak of apart from the support forum, things tend to get a bit sticky if something goes wrong.
    04-22-16 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD