Hi Guys,
    First post so be kind !
    I have had my playbook for over a week now but I am having problems with my dlink DIR 655.
    When it is in mixed mode to include 'N' the playbook constantly disconects (laptops too !) and the router is always trying to issue a new key, anything from 1-59 minutes.
    I have enabled the guest mode on the router and forced 'G' only and it seems a little better.
    The intention is to replace the dlink with something a little more stable.
    Can anyone reccomend first hand what they are using ?
    Regards,
    Chris.
    01-03-12 02:33 AM
    i have the exact same problems with the same router.

i am regretting my choice buying it. the sad thing is i bought it last month and cant afford to replace it.
    01-03-12 04:47 AM
    Hi Guys,
    First post so be kind !
    I have had my playbook for over a week now but I am having problems with my dlink DIR 655.
    When it is in mixed mode to include 'N' the playbook constantly disconects (laptops too !) and the router is always trying to issue a new key, anything from 1-59 minutes.
    I have enabled the guest mode on the router and forced 'G' only and it seems a little better.
    Regards,
    Chris.
    I am using the DLINK DIR-645 router and it works flawlessly in mixed 'B/G/N' mode with the BlackBerry PlayBook as of v1.0.8.6067. For a short period of time prior to the update to .6067 I had to restrict the mode to 'B/G' only. Now all works very well.
    01-03-12 05:12 AM
    Make sure your router's firmware is up to date. If your router is more than 2 years old, then it had pre-N firmware which might be causing the problem. The official "N" standard was released in October 2009. Before that there was a lot of incompatibility between the different brands.

If you do decide on a new router, I recommend the Cisco/Linksys brand. I have been using their products for years without problems. I bought a Cisco/Linksys E2500 this past summer to replace a Linksys "G" router. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Setup was quick and easy using the manufacturer's setup disk.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-03-12 05:23 AM
    The Apple Airport Extreme routers have worked well with all iterations of the Playbook software since April. I also had a dlink at the cottage that became problematic this summer after a Playbook software update.
    01-03-12 05:34 AM
    I don't know what is the best, but I do know what works, and what Cox Cable recommends and will install if you don't have a router, the relatively inexpensive Netgear N300. Strong signal anywhere on my property and useable up to 50 yards away from my house.
    01-03-12 05:59 AM
    Hi Guys,
    First post so be kind !
    Regards,
    Chris.

This is fabulous ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Networks- ASUS RT-N56U
    01-03-12 06:04 AM
    I have the same router and my problems were solved when I changed the Band Type on my Playbook network setting to 2.4Ghz from Dual.
    01-03-12 06:12 AM
    +1 for the apple.
    Set it to 5ghz for fast interference free connection.
    01-03-12 06:18 AM
    I have a netgear 600 or something like that, not at home and no problem at all. Had a cheap linksys before and never had a problem with it either beside the signal strength wasn't as good as the netgear is.
    01-03-12 06:38 AM
    I don't know what is the best, but I do know what works, and what Cox Cable recommends and will install if you don't have a router, the relatively inexpensive Netgear N300. Strong signal anywhere on my property and useable up to 50 yards away from my house.
    Only 50 yards (~15 metres) from your house? Doesn't that impinge upon your SpecOps Huey-flying range of operation?
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-03-12 06:41 AM
    What about the Apple Airport Express....anybody know much about it? It looks to be a simple design, usefull for travelling...?
    01-03-12 06:43 AM
    Wireless router are tricky I have had tremendous success with
    Netgear N600 WNDR 3700. Buy it form Newegg , great company
    Newegg.com - NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS Wireless Gigabit Router/ USB port Rangemax 2.4/5GHz Simultaneous N600 Dual Band 802.11a/b/g/n
    01-03-12 07:00 AM
    Wireless router are tricky I have had tremendous success with
    Netgear N600 WNDR 3700. Buy it form Newegg , great company
    Newegg.com - NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS Wireless Gigabit Router/ USB port Rangemax 2.4/5GHz Simultaneous N600 Dual Band 802.11a/b/g/n
    Same one I got at walmart for a little less.
    01-03-12 07:06 AM
    What about the Apple Airport Express....anybody know much about it? It looks to be a simple design, usefull for travelling...?

I have one, it has got me out of trouble more times than enough when I've needed wifi. the wifi has proved particularly robust and tolerant. Several times last year when BIS over wifi disappeared through my broadband router (apparent network provider blockage hitting many O2 clients for several days) I hooked up the Airport to the same router, and my Bold picked up BIS service. I don't understand the reason, same service books, DNS was identical and same ADSL uplink, just a different local WiFi device.

However I don't have a PB - no added value for my usage - so I can't speak for connectivity based on personal experience.
    01-03-12 07:53 AM
    I have an Express on my home network. I don't know how often the PlayBook uses, as the Express is setup to extend the network. The Express and Extreme seem to get similar software updates, so I assume the wifi software is probably similar with the exception of the added capabilities to the Extreme.

On another note, the Express we have is connected to a Bose system in our living room using a 1/8" - two RCA plugs. With this, my wife can stream music from iTunes on her computer to the Bose system through the wireless network.
    01-03-12 07:59 AM
    OK, so let me ask a few questions, I have my wi-fi setup using the Netgear N300 installed by my cable carrier...it works fine. By having the Express handy, what more can I do in the house with it? I can see using it in hotels when travelling, but would I benefit having a second router in the house, and how exactly would that connect with my current setup?
    01-03-12 08:05 AM
    I have the same router and my problems were solved when I changed the Band Type on my Playbook network setting to 2.4Ghz from Dual.
    how did you change the network setting on the playbook? I am about to return mine because I cannot stream a single video on any web site and the web pages tend to "hang" constantly. I have no issues with my other laptop, ipad2 and tablet (Lenovo). they stream and don't hang like the PB.
    01-03-12 08:09 AM
    I'm using the TrendNet TEW-652BRP (300Mbps). It's fast enough and I've never had a blip in signal strength after heavy/constant use of my PB. Cost me 40 or 50 bucks at Costco.
    01-03-12 08:12 AM
    OK, so let me ask a few questions, I have my wi-fi setup using the Netgear N300 installed by my cable carrier...it works fine. By having the Express handy, what more can I do in the house with it? I can see using it in hotels when travelling, but would I benefit having a second router in the house, and how exactly would that connect with my current setup?
    I am not sure if it is possible with the Netgear, but the Express can be used to extend the range of an existing wireless network. This is the mode I have mine in.

In regards to using in a hotel, you would need to configure the Express router with a computer. There may be times you need to reconfigure it on the road and I don't know if you could do this if you were not traveling with a laptop in addition to the PlayBook. Maybe some of the Mac experts may be able to chime in here regards to configuring it.
    01-03-12 08:14 AM
    Avoid Engenius for sure. Expensive, hard to program, drop (or freeze) connections. Got a cheap TP-Link TL-WA901 Access point and life has been good. 3 antennas and I get excellent signal anywhere in my house now.
    01-03-12 08:17 AM
    Both the Apple Express and Extreme are highly rated (performance and compatibility) pieces of equipment. I use the express for extending an existing network and for traveling the Express is a great tool to provide wifi mobility in an RJ45 only access area. And as robsteve points out the Express is great for a wireless music system set up.

However I don't see why any currently available inexpensive home unit wouldn't provide basic security and performance if it's properly set up, as tedious to set up as they are.

For the inexperienced user: Once your router is set up to perform they way you like with the devices you need attached, password settings, etc...look for the router setting to save the current configuration file and do so (an inexpensive thumb drive will do for a save location) using the saved date for the file name. Having access to and loading this file later on will save you a ton of time if you ever need to reset your router.
    Last edited by blackburberry; 01-03-12 at 08:30 AM.
    01-03-12 08:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD