With the big sale(s) on Playbooks there are more people that own them. Even I own one and I said I wouldn't buy a tablet when the Ipad came out.

So have you noticed people using them in public?

Last week I was doing a delivery at the mall and noticed a guy taking a picture of his friend. After that the other guy picked up his Playbook. It was the first time I seen someone use one in public.

Friday I did a delivery at a coffee shop. I decided to look around at what was being used in there. On that day I noticed one ereader, one Macbook, three pc laptops and one Playbook. One guy had a laptop (Toshiba) and had a Playbook sitting beside it in its case.

Its a small thing but its a start.

James
    12-31-11 03:32 PM
    I live in a city of 2m people. Not one. Ever.
    dave1701 likes this.
    12-31-11 03:51 PM
    I am too ashamed to bring out my PB in front of my ipad friends. They might think I'm either cheap or too poor.
    12-31-11 03:54 PM
    You should take your playbook out and show them what it really can do. Just might make them jealous.
    12-31-11 03:58 PM
    i carry mine everytime i go out. i know i don't have any self-esteem issues and a proud owner of a playbook.
    12-31-11 04:06 PM
    I live in the middle of nowhere - we have 27 acres of land, 10 of it in bush. However I work in a thriving small town of 14,000 people. Unfortunately there are no malls there. Still, the day we went to get Hubby his own Playbook, there was one woman taking her Playbook up to the checkout ... so that kind of counts. There were lots of people looking at tablets that day so when the salesman asked me what I liked about the PB I made sure I praised it loudly enough that anyone could overhear!
    12-31-11 04:09 PM
    I am too ashamed to bring out my PB in front of my ipad friends. They might think I'm either cheap or too poor.
    Why on earth would you be ashamed?!?! Owning a PB shows you have a refined sense of value. If your friends are so shallow that your not having exactly what they have, then you should seek out a different set of friends. I don't know how old you are but it's important that you discover that your self-worth should never be defined by what you have but br who you are.
    12-31-11 04:15 PM
    Why on earth would you be ashamed?!?! Owning a PB shows you have a refined sense of value. If your friends are so shallow that your not having exactly what they have, then you should seek out a different set of friends. I don't know how old you are but it's important that you discover that your self-worth should never be defined by what you have but br who you are.
    I'd just ignore comments like that if I were you. You got hooked. But good comment
    hpjrt likes this.
    12-31-11 04:40 PM
    the only problem i have when out and about is telling people what it is ( playbook ) sounds so naff something like BLACK PAD soundz a lot more suitable . in NZ our rugby world cup holders are called the " All blacks " the netball team are the Black Ferns the americas cup team boat Black Magic the basketball team Tall Blacks hockey team Black Sticks football team All Whites . names with black show that the there is something special there .but Playbook .
    12-31-11 04:42 PM
    the only problem i have when out and about is telling people what it is ( playbook ) sounds so naff something like BLACK PAD soundz a lot more suitable . in NZ our rugby world cup holders are called the " All blacks " the netball team are the Black Ferns the americas cup team boat Black Magic the basketball team Tall Blacks hockey team Black Sticks football team All Whites . names with black show that the there is something special there .but Playbook .
    I happen to love the Playbook name. I can't remember if it was the first time they said the name but I remember them talking about they new Playbook during a football game. Can't remember, might have been the Superbowl. To me it seemed fitting to me.

James
    12-31-11 04:49 PM
    I'd just ignore comments like that if I were you. You got hooked. But good comment
    OMG! (slaps forehead with palm of hand ... you are absolutely right! LOL I just took the statement at face value.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    12-31-11 05:02 PM
    Walking around shopping centres, I have to admit that I only ever saw iPads. But in my personal life, I found that the craze was not so.

Amongst my friends, the first of us to get a tablet bought a TouchPad. Then another friend got given the Galaxy Tab. Then I bought a PlayBook. And I remember thinking "wow, iPad is supposed to be the most popular tablet out there but none of us have one!"

But recently, I found out that one of my friends will be getting an iPad soon. So now we are not only a diverse set of friends, but we have a diverse set of products too. And we all have an appreciation for each others' devices.
    Boodrew and rjedge54 like this.
    12-31-11 05:18 PM
    I saw a guy in a Home Depot the other day with a PB. He had worked out a materials/cutting list on it, and he was checking off items as he was loading different kinds of lumber into his cart. A bit of overkill, IMO - I would have used a piece of paper - but he likely had a reason for keeping an electronic list.

I also see Playbooks in Starbucks shops. Not as many as laptops or iPads, but more and more. And I've had a few people ask what I was using. I usually show them a Flash-containing website and explain that on an iPad, they would see a blank rectangle instead of content.
    ralfyguy and bigbmc26 like this.
    12-31-11 05:20 PM
    I saw a guy in a Home Depot the other day with a PB. He had worked out a materials/cutting list on it, and he was checking off items as he was loading different kinds of lumber into his cart. A bit of overkill, IMO - I would have used a piece of paper - but he likely had a reason for keeping an electronic list.

I also see Playbooks in Starbucks shops. Not as many as laptops or iPads, but more and more. And I've had a few people ask what I was using. I usually show them a Flash-containing website and explain that on an iPad, they would see a blank rectangle instead of content.
    Its cooler to use a device rather then paper. Plus I have taken mine into stores just so that its not left in my car.

Its like that he is using it in interesting ways.

James
    12-31-11 05:27 PM
    I have started listening to people talk about their new iPad... "Most" of them talk of how awesome it is, replacing their laptop for email, web browsing, and photo viewing. To which... My playbook does all of those. Still - I can't wait for os2!
    herculesinwyoming likes this.
    12-31-11 05:34 PM

That's exactly what I mean. Flash will be around for quiet some time longer. Even if the prediction says that it is a dying breed, it's gonna be around. In the meantime I enjoy my PB having the capability to process the VAST amount of Flash being used on an enormous amount of web pages and feel sorry for every iPad owner having to shuffle through thousands of apps to see if there is one that can do it, and if not just being SOL. I just go to the next Flash laden one and enjoy whatever content is on there. So far Google Maps is the only page that doesn't work. I just use Bing.
    I am aware of the huge success the iPad has, but just because somebody responsible thought that Flash has no future and did not include the capability on the device, is simply pathetic. It's like saying rubber tires have no future, because vehicles soon will be floating six inches above ground and therefore we refuse to mount them and roll on the rims in the meantime awaiting the demise of the wheel in general.
    12-31-11 05:42 PM
    Why would they think that? Because the PB had a really good sale and the iPad never goes on sale? I bought mine at full price and could care less if anyone calls me cheap just because the price at the moment may not be the same as the iPad
    12-31-11 05:44 PM
    I was standing in line at Disneyland one day and saw a guy surfing on his 32gb playbook. I chatted him up and he said he loved it paired/bridged with his new Bold.
    12-31-11 05:47 PM
    LOL I have to agree with you. Although I do play with it a lot too. BTW, I'm in the States, but on my vehicle, next to my USA Rugby Eagles sticker is a huge All Blacks sticker, fern and all! Congrats All Blacks!!! Hey! We need a PB haka!
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-31-11 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added comment
    12-31-11 05:48 PM
    I'm a poor college student living in a fairly affluent area, and seeing tablets of any kind is still pretty rare. Yeah, you have the Starbucks crowd, but most other places people seem to make do with their phones. My pb does get lots of attention when I carry it around, though. People look like they're trying to figure out when a small ipad came out.
    12-31-11 05:56 PM
    LOL I have to agree with you. Although I do play with it a lot too. BTW, I'm in the States, but on my vehicle, next to my Eagles sticker is a huge AllBlacks sticker, fern and all! Congrats AllBlacks!!!
    Eagles? A Dallas star would fix that problem really quick.

James
    12-31-11 05:56 PM
    Outside of my circle of friends i have yet to see a Playbook out in public. I see iPads all day everyday and laugh at how awkward people look traveling with it or taking pictures. I do get a lot of questions when i am seen with mine. The first normally being unfortunately, "is that an iPad knockoff?" I just laugh. People are still shocked it is a Blackberry.
    12-31-11 05:57 PM
    Haven't seen any.
    12-31-11 05:58 PM
    Outside of my circle of friends i have yet to see a Playbook out in public. I see iPads all day everyday and laugh at how awkward people look traveling with it or taking pictures. I do get a lot of questions when i am seen with mine. The first normally being unfortunately, "is that an iPad knockoff?" I just laugh. People are still shocked it is a Blackberry.
    I can only think of 2 ipads I have seen in public. One was at a Starbucks the other I forget where I seen it. They are meant to be "portable" so you would think that you would see more them.

James
    12-31-11 05:59 PM
    You should take your playbook out and show them what it really can do. Just might make them jealous.
    the way i see it your friends are suckers for paying for overpriced gadget.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    12-31-11 06:00 PM
143 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD