hi guys,

i just got a playbook for $200 on boxing day. i really like it, but the browser keeps crashing on me. it just randomly disappears and konks out to the home screen.

is it easy to sideload dolphin onto 2.0? does flash work with it?

i'm considering returning my playbook as i got it to surf the web and i can't live with it crashing on me several times per day.

hopefully you guys will know of a workaround or a fix.
    plh121 likes this.
    12-31-11 12:51 PM
    What OS do you have running on your PB?
    12-31-11 12:58 PM
    Is this on wifi or using bridge? Mine works fine for hours even over bridge if I don't have too many tabs open and am not using heavy sites other than crackberry. Eventually I'll get a crash but I open it again and clear the cache and all and close it and restart and it's fine again. Yes 2.0 should not do it.

I think I heard of people using that android browser and some others. There is also "simple browser" in app world.

Not sure it would have anything to do with your router and or settings.

You could try a backup and security wipe and update and see if that helps. If none of that works I would backup and do a debrick.
    12-31-11 12:59 PM
    HI

This article applies to the following:
    BlackBerry� Tablet OS
    BlackBerry� PlayBook™ tablet

Details

Prior to upgrading to a beta release of the BlackBerry Tablet OS, perform a full backup that can be used to restore your device after downgrading. Note: Backups of a higher release can not be restored onto a lower release. This article explains how to back up your data.

Use the following steps to downgrade your tablet from a beta release to the current production release. This procedure requires an Internet connection.

Please note that if you signed up for the 2.0 beta and installed it over the air you will need to wait approximately 24 hours before you can downgrade. Otherwise, your BlackBerry PlayBook will reapply the upgrade during the first bootup after the downgrade has been installed. This does not apply to developers who received a BlackBerry PlayBook with 2.0 beta pre-installed. You are able to downgrade at any time.
    Turn off your device.
    Open BlackBerry� Desktop Manager.
    Connect your device to your computer via USB.
    Enter your device password.
    When Desktop Manager prompts that it cannot connect to your BlackBerry PlayBook, choose Update. Note that this screen will dissapear once the tablet boots up.
    Enter your email address or uncheck “Yes, email me when updates are available”.
    Click Install if using Windows, Repair if using Mac.

thanks to whoever made this help guide!!
    the_sleuth likes this.
    12-31-11 01:00 PM
    You should reconsider the title of your post as it is very inflamatory. The browser is not unstable. Yours may very well be, but not a generic problem. My browser has done what you described exactly once, and I have had mine for 7 months.
    12-31-11 01:02 PM
    You should reconsider the title of your post as it is very inflamatory. The browser is not unstable. Yours may very well be, but not a generic problem. My browser has done what you described exactly once, and I have had mine for 7 months.
    Indeed, my browser has NEVER crashed despite heavy use.
    12-31-11 01:04 PM
    hi Sickbeast and welcome.
    the title of your post is misleading .
    there is nothing wrong with the browser. from my own experience the content you are looking at causes the problem specifically videos in flash player. when the browser receives an error which cant correct it exits the browser prob as a security feature .i suggest fixing the problem would be to change what you are looking at .
    plh121 likes this.
    12-31-11 01:25 PM
    Mine works for a while on WiFi only (with Bridge off) and then stops at about the same
    point during loading of any site (about 1/3 progress in the address bar).

Frankly, I like the OS7 / trackball combo of my 9850 much better, as a first impression.

One thing, sort of off subject, that is definitely way cool: creating icons on the home screen:
    I surf to a site I use a lot, say Drudge, and then use the greyed out star in the upper right
    with a green plus sign to make a launcher right on my home screen. Awesome !

Be careful, as (ahem) a mailbox can remain open for days. !!

Doc Neutron

OK, so many of my complaints about the Browser could be
    attributed to my flaky WiFi system. This may be of interest:
    I can turn off my 9850's VZN radios and leave on WiFi and
    look for the worst area of my home for surfing. Then I can
    bring my PB to this same area. By watching its WiFi icon,
    I have determined that the best signal comes with my PB
    in Portrait with Blackberry to the left. (I just wonder if RIM
    did not do a bunch of soul searching before placing their
    logo for Landscape.)

My WiFi depends on a very flaky provider of a bundle of
    phone, internet, and TV. I can't wait until VZN gets
    4g in my area.

------------------------------------------------

I have noticed that quick tapping of one of my homescreen
    launchers causes the next instance of the Browser to just
    sit without proceeding. If I hold my finger for a longer period
    of time, the next Browser instance gets its target address
    and proceeds. This timing problem is adjusted under QNX by....?

Of course I have limited resources, but it smells like a really
    old problem: contact bounce and how it has often been
    solved with a simple, adjustable counting loop.
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 01-02-12 at 08:27 PM. Reason: better / more info
    12-31-11 01:39 PM
    i have this issue from time to time but it is not a big deal to me. overall browser works great. honestly returning your tablet over this issue makes no sense. you will experience crashes on any platform and overall pb is the one with least problems. i've read that amazon tablet is way more unstable. i would try 2.0 beta and see if this will help you or try to re-install os.
    12-31-11 01:42 PM
    mine's crashed a few times since i got it a week ago.
    12-31-11 01:58 PM
    I am surprised. Never had a problem with mine. The browser crashes a lot more often on my other tablet. I do a full restart on the PB a couple of times a week. Good hygiene I think.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-31-11 02:02 PM
    hi guys,

i just got a playbook for $200 on boxing day. i really like it, but the browser keeps crashing on me. it just randomly disappears and konks out to the home screen.

is it easy to sideload dolphin onto 2.0? does flash work with it?

i'm considering returning my playbook as i got it to surf the web and i can't live with it crashing on me several times per day.

hopefully you guys will know of a workaround or a fix.
    Try closing some apps. If it disappears when you are opening it, its not crashing imo its just not starting up. I had that happen with a program or two when I have around 7 things running at once. I just close a few programs and or restart and its all good.

Other then that which isn't a browser problem imo I have had very little problems with the browser.

James
    12-31-11 02:08 PM
    To clear all cache etc. browser swipe down, gear/options, last option on the left, at the bottom on the right is clear buttons including all.
    12-31-11 02:35 PM
    What OS do you have running on your PB?

i have 25 more days until i can't return it any more. i'll see if the problem persists. hopefully rim will release an update soon.

i've tried wiping and re-flashing the thing and the browser still crashes. clearing the caches didn't fix it either.

anyhow thanks to everyone for your input.
    12-31-11 02:37 PM

i have 25 more days until i can't return it any more. i'll see if the problem persists. hopefully rim will release an update soon.

i've tried wiping and re-flashing the thing and the browser still crashes. clearing the caches didn't fix it either.

Any particular sites? Type of content - heavy flash or javascript? Other apps opened at that time?

Mine also implodes (boom - gone) maybe once a day. But I rarely clear the cache and probably should. I've not quite figured it out. I've had as many as 6 tabs and its fine. I will open a local news site and boom! Most times that site does not create problems.
    12-31-11 02:47 PM

• Does it happen on certain sites only or any?
    • How many apps are you running in the background when the crash occurs?
    • Can you give us an example site?
    • |Can you try turning off javascript and see if you get the same problem?
    12-31-11 02:47 PM
    Sort of side topic:

Is there a way to tell if a site uses Javascript or heavy into it? Or do you just turn it on/off and see what happens? I know our favorite Crackberry is a bit burdened by it.
    12-31-11 02:49 PM
    • Does it happen on certain sites only or any?
    • How many apps are you running in the background when the crash occurs?
    • Can you give us an example site?
    • |Can you try turning off javascript and see if you get the same problem?
    i can't pinpoint which sites are causing the crashes yet. i will try to figure it out.

i've only had a couple of apps going in the background at the most; usually i just run the browser.

i'll turn off java and see what happens.
    12-31-11 03:06 PM
    I am equally surprised by your PlayBook Browser crash. I have yet to have the browser crash. At most, I have maybe 3 or 4 tabs open. My Asus HC browser crashes more often and it's usually streaming video at fault.
    12-31-11 03:52 PM
    it's probably a specific site that i visit; i'm trying to pinpoint the source of the problem. thanks everyone for your input.
    12-31-11 03:54 PM
    This is because of that rooting crap. we got a few patches and since then mine does it a few times daily. I have had my playbook from day one and it never leaves my side i use itball day and always worked fine.Thanks to the a****ls rooting the playbook we have this. My guess is in feb it will be better so i havent said much.
    12-31-11 04:01 PM
    it's probably a specific site that i visit; i'm trying to pinpoint the source of the problem. thanks everyone for your input.
    Let us know!
    12-31-11 04:17 PM
    This is because of that rooting crap. we got a few patches and since then mine does it a few times daily. I have had my playbook from day one and it never leaves my side i use itball day and always worked fine.Thanks to the a****ls rooting the playbook we have this. My guess is in feb it will be better so i havent said much.
    Mine imploded before the "rooting" stuff. As a matter of fact, while I have not rooted, I might want to so I have not installed the latest anti-rooting updates. So those updates have changed nothing on my end since they were not applied to my pb.

We all hope Feb will bring miracles but until then, gaze out over the Hudson River and the views of Bear Mt State Park (although I'm sure that the color is long gone) and enjoy the peace.
    12-31-11 04:18 PM
    Mine imploded before the "rooting" stuff. As a matter of fact, while I have not rooted, I might want to so I have not installed the latest anti-rooting updates. So those updates have changed nothing on my end since they were not applied to my pb.

We all hope Feb will bring miracles but until then, gaze out over the Hudson River and the views of Bear Mt State Park (although I'm sure that the color is long gone) and enjoy the peace.
    Ahhhhhh, Rt 9W, Bear Mountain....West Point....Highland Falls....Newburgh.....Walden....memories of my youth.
    12-31-11 04:23 PM
    This happens to me, with around 5 pages open coupe of pages here and about 3 pages at XDA, or a page open at google, browser is acting like it has a memory leak. with 5 pages up and 1 gig of ram this should not be happening.

Got this for Christmas, actually on my second one, in less then a week.
    Took my first playbook back after 2 days, The double blinking red light issue on the first one. Both are 32gb versions.
    12-31-11 04:23 PM
144 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD