Attaching a screen shot of my battery consumption trends since upgrading to 7.1. If you notice, right after the upgrade around Xmas, my battery use-age was pretty terrible. I generally am a medium user. Most of my consumption goes to the mp3 player capacity of the Torch. I could barely last a day on a full charge. At the moment, I am getting more like 2 full days on a full charge, with considerable use.. This is awesome! Not sure what to attribute it to, but will say to all who upgrade, stick it out. That first week can be a bit rough, but once your phone makes some adjustments, it really rocks!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-V...231_093552.jpg
    12-31-11 11:45 AM
    This is the kind of battery life I need!! All I'm using most of the day is BBM and I'm barely making it through the day...and i mean barely..Most of the time when I come home from work i have to plug my phone in while I'm working on my laptop here at home. I'm lucky if i don't have to plug it in in my work truck.

I'm still using .585 though. I have no idea how to upgrade to the 7.1 that's out there, and I can't seem to find a decent step by step thread. I've done the upgrades and OS shrinking for a long time, but never attempted a hybrid type install, and the lingo doesn't make any sense to me.
    01-01-12 09:22 AM
    This is the kind of battery life I need!! All I'm using most of the day is BBM and I'm barely making it through the day...and i mean barely..Most of the time when I come home from work i have to plug my phone in while I'm working on my laptop here at home. I'm lucky if i don't have to plug it in in my work truck.

I'm still using .585 though. I have no idea how to upgrade to the 7.1 that's out there, and I can't seem to find a decent step by step thread. I've done the upgrades and OS shrinking for a long time, but never attempted a hybrid type install, and the lingo doesn't make any sense to me.
    Same here. I get confused once its time to "inject" files. I really could use the battery life though. I take it off the charger at 8 am and by 3 pm I have to charge it.
    01-01-12 12:38 PM
    It is not that difficult. Here is what you gotta do:

~ I did the upgrade from .585 which will work fine as long as you point the upgrade to the correct os folder (see step below). The patch was designed to run against .540. Running it from that version, it will auto install to the correct folder.

1) download bbsak : BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife

2) download the leaked 7.1 : OSBB EXCLUSIVE: 7.1 for the Torch 9810 | OpenSourceBB.com - The best freakin' hybrids. Period.

3) download the 7.1 cod patch files.. Mecca’s “Inception” 7.1.0.150 Hybrid for the 9810 now available! | OpenSourceBB.com - The best freakin' hybrids. Period.

K.. so here is what I did to get it working..

First, you install bbsak. This was the only cod loader that worked for me. Just install it for now and put it to use later.

Next you will want to delete the 'vendor.xml' files from the following locations. If they are not there, move on to the next step.
    "C:\Users\<UserID>\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML\"
    "C:\Program Files(X86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader\"

Next, you are going to want to install 7.1 that u downloaded in step2. During the install of that OS, it will prompt for install location. If you are running .540, then you should be able to just hit next. If .585, you will need to hit browse and go to whatever folder you currently have .585 installed in, for me: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9810AllLang_v7.0.0.585_P5.0.0.734
    So you select that folder and continue with the installation.

At the end of the install, it will launch the loader executable. One of the early menus prompts to install older versions of applications from download manager, or keep the current versions. I got hung up here for days. In order to install the 7.1, you have to select the box to install the older versions. Sort of anti-intuitive as we are actually trying to install a new version I know, but whatever.. After you select that, the next screen will have the 7.1 os checked, so I think you just hit next, next, and install 7.1.

7.1 without the cod patch Mecca released, is very buggy and almost un-use-able. So your next step is to inject the cod files you downloaded in step 3 above into your phone using bbsak. This is pretty easy. Extract them from the zip file into a folder someplace familiar, aka desktop. Then run bbsak with your phone plugged in. Connect it to your phone, go to the cod modify tab and install the cods. Meaning, browse to the folder you unzipped them to on your desktop, select all of them and hit install. ( note, this took some time. It does not happen right away. Let it cook. The phone will reboot itself when the cod's are installed. It only appears to be doing nothing.)

That was it. After reboot, I had a 507 error which had me panicking for a bit. I had to unplug the phone from one usb, and plug it into another for the cod patch to start cooking again. After that, I was golden.

At first, I did not notice much change with battery life. Now I am noticing a big difference. It is like it took a little while to kick in..
    Last edited by musiclover7; 01-02-12 at 12:41 AM.
    01-01-12 12:45 PM
    Im really wanting to try this but scared I'll brick my phone.
    01-01-12 01:19 PM
    Also... the new battery analyzer that comes with 7.1 is pretty trick. It charts your consumption over time, and lets you know where your battery is going (which apps are taking up most of the battery). Just after the OS update, I had 2 days where I thought that the battery use-age was worse then ever. I could not get barely a day, and I had no idea what others were talking about... how can a software update improve battery life anyways I was thinking? Then, the phone died on me one night, ran out of charge, and I gave it a full charge through the evening.. Ever since, I have been getting about 2 days on avg use-age, which was unheard of prior to this upgrade. I think it must somehow optimize use-age during downtime or something..
    turtle_z10 likes this.
    01-01-12 01:50 PM
    You're tempting me!!!! I barely get 7 hours with light BBMing, FB, and some web surfing. If its really that much better I'm thinking I need to do this.
    01-01-12 01:54 PM
    You won't brick your phone.. Those instructions are based off of what I pulled from other posts in the forum and my own experience and they should get you through it. Go ahead and install the patch and see if you can make it through a portion of the upgrade. You won't hit the point of no return until you opt to load the outdated apps in loader, which loads the patch to your phone.. Up to that pnt you are just testing the waters if you will..
    myfairkadie likes this.
    01-01-12 01:54 PM
    Just do a full backup in Desktop manager before you get rolling.. You won't brick your phone. Worst case you have to do a wipe and reload, but that should not happen and is about as difficult as this upgrade.. I am offline now for a bit, but will help later if you have any trubs..
    myfairkadie likes this.
    01-01-12 01:58 PM
    Okay, you've convinced me. Thanks a lot and if I run into any trouble I'll be back here. lol

Happy New Year!
    01-01-12 02:01 PM
    Also worth noting though.. I have noticed that disabling features, if you are not using them, helps battery life a lot too.. By default these days, I run with just data plan enabled. When I get in the car, I will turn on bluetooth.. easy 2 clicks. If I am at home and in proximity of my router, I will turn on wifi, else I just run off my carrier data plan. I have found that Bluetooth sucks a lot of juice. So does wifi hotspot. If all you are doing is bbm, browse and facebook, make sure those other features are all disabled, and see how your battery life improves..
    Last edited by musiclover7; 01-01-12 at 02:48 PM.
    peteygrizz likes this.
    01-01-12 02:45 PM
    It is not that difficult. Here is what you gotta do:

~ u must have .585 installed on your pc. The 7.1 install is not a stand alone, and to get it installed correctly, you must have .585 installed already.

1) download bbsak : BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife

2) download the leaked 7.1 : OSBB EXCLUSIVE: 7.1 for the Torch 9810 | OpenSourceBB.com - The best freakin' hybrids. Period.

3) download the 7.1 cod patch files.. Mecca�s �Inception� 7.1.0.150 Hybrid for the 9810 now available! | OpenSourceBB.com - The best freakin' hybrids. Period.

K.. so here is what I did to get it working..

First, you install bbsak.

Then, you are going to want to install 7.1 that u downloaded in step2. During the install of that OS, it will prompt for install location. Hit browse and go to whatever folder you currently have .585 installed in, for me: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9810AllLang_v7.0.0.585_P5.0.0.734
    So you select that folder and continue with the installation.

At the end of the install, it will launch the loader executable. One of the early menus prompts to install older versions of applications from download manager, or keep the current versions. I got hung up here for days. In order to install the 7.1, you have to select the box to install the older versions. Sort of anti-intuitive, but whatever.. After you select that, the next screen will have the 7.1 os checked, so I think you just hit next, next, and install 7.1.

7.1 without the cod patch Mecca released, is very buggy and almost un-use-able. So your next step is to inject the cod files you downloaded in step 3 above into your phone using bbsak. This is pretty easy. Extract them from the zip file into a folder someplace familiar, aka desktop. Then run bbsak with your phone plugged in. Connect it to your phone, go to the cod modify tab and install the cods. Meaning, browse to the folder you unzipped them to on your desktop, select all of them and hit install. ( note, this took some time. It does not happen right away. Let it cook. The phone will reboot itself when the cod's are installed. It only appears to be doing nothing.)

That was it. After reboot, I had a 507 error which had me panicking for a bit. I had to unplug the phone from one usb, and plug it into another for the cod patch to start cooking again. After that, I was golden.

At first, I did not notice much change with battery life. Now I am noticing a big difference. It is like it took a little while to kick in..
    Nice write up musiclover7.

I apologize if after reading any of the 7.1 installation posts, the tech talk lost you myfairkadie. Musiclover7's interpretation is as simple as it can be described. The process is very easy and painless. The hard part is getting any of the loaders to recognize that 7.1 is even there.
    peteygrizz and turtle_z10 like this.
    01-01-12 02:51 PM
    I do the same thing and only use features when I need them. Hasn't had any effect and still drains at that rate. :/
    01-01-12 02:56 PM
    Nice write up musiclover7.

I apologize if after reading any of the 7.1 installation posts, the tech talk lost you myfairkadie. Musiclover7's interpretation is as simple as it can be described. The process is very easy and painless. The hard part is getting any of the loaders to recognize that 7.1 is even there.
    Its ok Mecca! I didnt realize it was as simple as it sounds and had thought Id be copying files manually and whatnot. I hadnt thought there was much benefit other than mobile hotspot but if battery life is that much better its worth a try. I'd be happy to just get one day out if it.

I still havent done it yet, Im nervous. How is PB bridging on this?
    01-01-12 03:01 PM
    Hello everyone. I am going to wait to see which carrier pick up OS 7.1 and releases it. I will then download it from their site. I did the same with the latest release of OS 7.0.0.585 from Vodafone (I think).

I am looking forward to this release as with OS 7.1 I have seen my battery use decrease during the day. My battery use decreases during the day because I am using my device throughout the day.
    turtle_z10 likes this.
    01-01-12 06:21 PM
    I do the same thing and only use features when I need them. Hasn't had any effect and still drains at that rate. :/
    K.. Well hopefully your experience will be like mine was then. You can see from the graph I sent, my battery life has improved greatly. Good luck!
    01-01-12 06:53 PM
    I've been outta the house today, and apparently I've missed all the chatter...

I've read a lot of Mecca's stuff on this topic and everyone raves, seems like he's a friggen genius...I too, just don't understand it all. I thought I had to manually copy files into the phone as well. When I read about the Tools that he added to this update I knew I had to get it...I just didn't know how.

Nice, simple write up musiclover...I'm going to attempt this after I finish writing this post. I've bricked my fair share of BB's over the years of owning and upgrading, so I'm not too worried about that happening, I just didn't want to keep bricking it and have to keep reverting back, just so I could use my phone again.

I've read that BBHTools works better for injecting, but I'm not sure I have the right version. So I'm gonna start with BBSAK since I have both. And until I have a problem, or get a little more input on which one is better, I'm just gonna run with it, doing it the Musiclover way, and see what happens.

There will be a 1000 thanks coming your way musiclover if this works!
    myfairkadie likes this.
    01-01-12 08:46 PM
    Only thing I would add, make sure you delete the vendor file if its a fresh install of .585. Otherwise loader wont show you anything. Other then that, pretty nice write up with step by step for someone who might be afraid or apprehensive about doing this, the benefits definitely outweigh the slight problems that may arise.

The jargon can get a bit confusing if your new to it, but pretty much everything on a BB is easy to manipulate once you get used to it and used to using the available tools. One brick and a fix is all it usually takes for most people to not be afraid or apprehensive about messing about with BBOS. Once you know how to fix it, its all just a matter of time and how long you have to play with it.
    turtle_z10 likes this.
    01-01-12 08:56 PM
    I've been outta the house today, and apparently I've missed all the chatter...

I've read a lot of Mecca's stuff on this topic and everyone raves, seems like he's a friggen genius...I too, just don't understand it all. I thought I had to manually copy files into the phone as well. When I read about the Tools that he added to this update I knew I had to get it...I just didn't know how.

Nice, simple write up musiclover...I'm going to attempt this after I finish writing this post. I've bricked my fair share of BB's over the years of owning and upgrading, so I'm not too worried about that happening, I just didn't want to keep bricking it and have to keep reverting back, just so I could use my phone again.

I've read that BBHTools works better for injecting, but I'm not sure I have the right version. So I'm gonna start with BBSAK since I have both. And until I have a problem, or get a little more input on which one is better, I'm just gonna run with it, doing it the Musiclover way, and see what happens.

There will be a 1000 thanks coming your way musiclover if this works!
    I am going to attempt this tomorrow if all goes well for you. Please let me know how it goes. I would have attempted today but with family traveling they needed to be able t BBM me and I couldnt afford the downtime.

I definitely agree that musiclover's write up is greatly appreciated!
    01-01-12 10:16 PM
    Update #1...

Phone is in the process of finishing up the install of 7.1...pre Mecca patch...I had a few issues, but they were actually with my computer and the desktop software...it kept freezing when i was trying to do a pre OS install backup...

So what I would add, and it's simply for ease of install for a newbie like myself...Download and install .540 first...then delete the vendor file, as homer pointed out...then install the 7.1 for 9810 file. What this will do for you is basically allow you to keep clicking next and not have to worry about pointing the 7.1 installer to the right file. Do to the way the installer was written, it's defaulted to automatically look for the .540 folder. If you don't feel like searching for the proper folder, this speeds it up a bit.

When I did it, I had totally forgotten about the vendor file (thanks again homer) and when the 7.1 installer ran the loader software, it didn't happen like musiclover had suggested, so I had to cancel everything, find them, delete and start loader over.

So make sure you delete it prior to running the 7.1
    01-01-12 10:54 PM
    Update #2

After the reboot from the 7.1 install when it hit the "waiting for device initialization" my phone had finished the reboot and i could use it, but the loader didn't notice my phone was up. Quick unplug and re-connect showed it everything was good and it started restoring all my data. Also, I lost BBM, but that's not a huge deal, I can get that back and restore that data after.

Not even going to attempt that till its running smoother...wow camera issues...all i have to say

....ok, on to the so called "injection" lol ....
    01-01-12 11:09 PM
    I am amazed at how much updates affect the battery life.
    01-01-12 11:18 PM
    I am going to go back and edit my original instructions to include the deleting of vendor files, and yes, upgrading from .540 is do-able and easier as the upgrade was written for that version. I did it from .585 which was the version some of posters were currently sporting... Good luck! Let us know how it goes..
    01-02-12 12:33 AM
    So that was a "No Go"!! I don't know what happened, but 4 hrs after I started the whole process I'm am now back to 7.0.0.254

I have no idea what happened, but sluggish was not the word for it...basically unresponsive would be a better word. Quincy pissed me off, and after about 7 batt pulls, it wasn't doing anything but locking up. I couldn't do anything with the phone, as soon as i clicked on something it would just sit there doing nothing. I could wake the phone up with the back button if the screen went out, but other then that all of the physical buttons were completely unresponsive.

Am I missing something? Maybe in the morning i will try again with .585. Also musiclover can you tell me more about the injecting process? It seemed to go very fast for me, about 6-7 mins to inject the files before the restart...and why did you have to unplug and go to a different usb port to get it cooking again? BBSAK had a pop up window that said COD installation was successful after the reboot...Was I supposed to leave it alone for longer then that?

Thanks everyone...
    01-02-12 01:25 AM
    So that was a "No Go"!! I don't know what happened, but 4 hrs after I started the whole process I'm am now back to 7.0.0.254

I have no idea what happened, but sluggish was not the word for it...basically unresponsive would be a better word. Quincy pissed me off, and after about 7 batt pulls, it wasn't doing anything but locking up. I couldn't do anything with the phone, as soon as i clicked on something it would just sit there doing nothing. I could wake the phone up with the back button if the screen went out, but other then that all of the physical buttons were completely unresponsive.

Am I missing something? Maybe in the morning i will try again with .585. Also musiclover can you tell me more about the injecting process? It seemed to go very fast for me, about 6-7 mins to inject the files before the restart...and why did you have to unplug and go to a different usb port to get it cooking again? BBSAK had a pop up window that said COD installation was successful after the reboot...Was I supposed to leave it alone for longer then that?

Thanks everyone...
    01-02-12 01:26 AM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD