I am currently in the market for a tablet and looking to pick up the Playbook, but need to know should I. When it first came out I love the speed that it displayed and the ability to multitask, but right now I don't should I. I mean don't get me wrong I am not one of those that feel I absolutely need a dedicated native email client, I can simply go online and look it up as I do on my pc and laptop. I'm not overly concerned with apps, I have a wp7 phone so I'm use to working with less but getting more out of what available I mean the phone is great and I'm hoping the same will be said of the playbook. The real question I guess is can I trust Rimm to expand Blackberry Bridge to other devices as an app and take advantage of the upswing in sells from the price drop. It would be truly in there favor and help bring more people over until BB10 can be released. But that's just my opinion, anyway I can't wait for another device from CES and really don't care much for android or ios products. So, it's either buy a laptop (11 or 13 inch) or wait for a windows 8 tablet which will be pricey given the asus eee slate and samsung slate prices. Please help
    12-30-11 10:06 PM
    Don't buy any tablet--Playbook, iPad or otherwise--unless it will work for you now, in its present state with its present software. Promises of corporations as to what their products will do in the future are worthless. So, try out the Playbook and see what you think...
    blue-b and DeaconFrost1098 like this.
    12-30-11 10:31 PM
    What kind of answer do you expect from this Blackberry Playbook Forum? Most here have the device. If the folks do not like the Playbook, they would not have bought one.
    I have a Windows OS EXOPC table but I still went ahead and bought a Playbook. I do not have a Blackberry Phone. I use a Samsung Infuse and it works fine with the Playbook. .
    If you want a Playbook, just get one.
    12-30-11 10:32 PM
    Go for it. you wont regret it.
    DeaconFrost1098 likes this.
    12-30-11 10:40 PM
    really don't care much for android or ios products.
    @199 check the PB out, "test drive" it at home and see if its a match for your needs assuming what you stated above is accurate, otherwise at this pricepoint or a bit above you might be looking at generic/offbrand low level android OS not that there is anything wrong with that...just saying
    12-30-11 10:43 PM
    If you want to fully browse the internet with multimedia and have a graet device that I can bet on you it will almost replace your TV and computer fir entretaining purposes then go for it.
    12-30-11 10:57 PM
    I wouldn't count on bridge to other phones. possible but not probable. You would not regret the purchase if you understand fully what you are getting and what you are not getting. Research on here - use search this forum button in upper right.

Awesome device especially at this price, it will make you hate your laptop.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-30-11 at 11:09 PM.
    12-30-11 11:05 PM
    The PlayBook is a hellava quality device at the current prices. Nothing else touches it in that price range. Go for it !!
    12-30-11 11:05 PM
    ipad 3 or rumored 10 inch playbook.ipad 3-feb timeframe.10 inch pb-nothing confirmed as of yet.decide for yourself.
    12-30-11 11:11 PM
    I agree with Blackjack, dont expect other phones to be able to bridge. I think that will be exclusive to Blackberry. If your looking for a ton of apps you will be disappointed. I just picked my PB up for $199. If your going to buy one now would be the time. I'm happy with my purchase. The OS is complete at this time, but i trust that RIM will deliver on their promise. The PB has great potential. Like I told my friends, if it was complete I'd have nothing to look forward to!! lol
    12-30-11 11:55 PM
    The bridge feature sets the BlackBerry PlayBook apart from other tablets for those of us with a BlackBerry smartphone. Hopefully, the bridge functionality is not only maintained but extended to fully leverage the synergy of these two devices.
    12-31-11 12:01 AM
    When making a purchase I have always researched the products I'm interested in, based on what MY usage would be and what the product would do for ME.

Here are some good places to start.

Got a BlackBerry PlayBook for Christmas? Check out these guides to help you get the most out of your BlackBerry Tablet | CrackBerry.com

BlackBerry Playbook 101 | CrackBerry.com

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-know-671764/
    12-31-11 12:11 AM
    Do you really mean tether rather than bridge? Tethering to an enabled smart phone is available which will give you internet access (at additional cost to your data plan in the US) through your phone. Bridging involves access to the extended features of the BB phones (like email and the SD card data). I would not expect bridging to anything that is not a RIM product.
    Last edited by D_Whatley; 12-31-11 at 03:32 AM.
    12-31-11 12:12 AM
    do you own a laptop already? I always like to have portable PC capability before a tablet simply because I don't think tabs have evolved enough to 100% replace them yet. I personally prefer to own, in the order of, desktop>laptop>smartphone>tablet.
    12-31-11 01:15 AM
    @ EWY Actually, I wanted the opinion of people who have the PB or would speak on the merits of the tablet as opposed to those who wish to just bash a product without even trying it or owning it. But, I understand where you are coming from.
    01-03-12 11:11 AM
    Do you really mean tether rather than bridge? Tethering to an enabled smart phone is available which will give you internet access (at additional cost to your data plan in the US) through your phone. Bridging involves access to the extended features of the BB phones (like email and the SD card data). I would not expect bridging to anything that is not a RIM product.
    No, I meant BB bringing Bridge to other devices. Since they have placed the PB at the new price point they have been selling pretty well and the addition of a bridge app to other os would enable them to differentiate themselves from most others and also allow other os users to experience a new flavor of Blackberry os featuring QNX. I hate to say this, but it is true that most people have no idea of what they want and allow others to make their decisions for them. I have already tested out the playbook several times and was very impressed my only reservation was the lack of support given to the device. This can mainly be attributed to vast number of people saying that they need either android or ios devices without even trying anything else, just because that's what they see advertised or its the trend. Tethering is nice but does not offer the real benefits that bridge brings to the party. Thanks for the help
    01-03-12 11:28 AM
    @ EWY Actually, I wanted the opinion of people who have the PB or would speak on the merits of the tablet as opposed to those who wish to just bash a product without even trying it or owning it. But, I understand where you are coming from.
    I guess you're still undecided?
    01-03-12 11:33 AM
    Honestly, there is nothing that can touch Playbook at the currently sale price. A 64GB unit for $300 is a steal. The hardware is fine and the software would only improve with time. RIM did release the Playbook with unfinished software. The OS is very responsive but there are basic stuffs that should have been there and is not. It is not ready for the normal consumer. If you consider yourself being a normal consumer, please go and get an iPad2.

If you are an early adaptor and do not mind trying out new things, give this Playbook a go. I do not have a Blackberry but I use a Samsung Infuse to connect the Playbook when I am out and about. This combination works fine for me. My Infuse handles my personal email. I have a company issued phone (not a Blackberry). I could be reached by either phone or text anytime. When I travel for the company, I just lug my company issued laptop. The Playbook for me is a personal device; I do not use it for work. I do not use my Playbook much at home as I have an EXOPC tablet with a much bigger screen. The Playbook is the perfect size for me to take along when I am outside.

Personally, I like the current OS. I would not root the Playbook and install Android. I�ll wait for the official OS 2 Release even though I would love to have Bluetooth headphones paired with the Playbook now.

Buy the Playbook knowing its limitations. Do not buy it because it might able to do something that you want.
    Last edited by EWY; 01-03-12 at 12:26 PM.
    01-03-12 12:22 PM
    I guess you're still undecided?
    Nope, going to order one from Sprint today. Sorry I forgot to mention that when I was on yesterday.
    01-04-12 04:41 PM
    Honestly, there is nothing that can touch Playbook at the currently sale price. A 64GB unit for $300 is a steal. The hardware is fine and the software would only improve with time. RIM did release the Playbook with unfinished software. The OS is very responsive but there are basic stuffs that should have been there and is not. It is not ready for the normal consumer. If you consider yourself being a normal consumer, please go and get an iPad2.

If you are an early adaptor and do not mind trying out new things, give this Playbook a go. I do not have a Blackberry but I use a Samsung Infuse to connect the Playbook when I am out and about. This combination works fine for me. My Infuse handles my personal email. I have a company issued phone (not a Blackberry). I could be reached by either phone or text anytime. When I travel for the company, I just lug my company issued laptop. The Playbook for me is a personal device; I do not use it for work. I do not use my Playbook much at home as I have an EXOPC tablet with a much bigger screen. The Playbook is the perfect size for me to take along when I am outside.

Personally, I like the current OS. I would not root the Playbook and install Android. I�ll wait for the official OS 2 Release even though I would love to have Bluetooth headphones paired with the Playbook now.

Buy the Playbook knowing its limitations. Do not buy it because it might able to do something that you want.
    Thanks, I really appreciate the advice and will be ordering one today. I purchased my wife a Kindle fire over the holidays and sat down and played with and was fairly impressed by it, eventhough it is limited to some extent. But after taking it for a test drive it made me think of my time with the playbook and I realized that the playbook was definitely for me. The web browser is great, the multi-tasking is very good and the potential for media content is there, so if amazon could get this much buzz off a product that they based off the playbook, then why settle for a substitute when I can purchase the real thing. So once again thanks for the advice.
    01-04-12 04:48 PM
    Cool, enjoy.
    01-04-12 05:28 PM
    New user here. I am a long time BB user. I have been looking at Fire and Nook but not sure they had what I needed. Then, the Playbook price dropped, so I took a look. Internet browsing(WIFI/Bridge/tethering), social networking, news feeds, Kobo for book reading(good enough for me), weather apps, Poynt, 7 inch screen(very portable), maps(GPS). I do not listen to music, watch movies or play games, so that did not factor into my decision, but I believe the movie interfaces will come. The Playbook is easy to use; excellent hardware(HDMI, front/back camera,microphone) and architecture. For me the cost/benefit was a great fit. Needless to say, I am very pleased with the Playbook.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-04-12 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD