I bought my 32gb PB a week ago and I love it. What baffles me is why
    a company like this on its initial release didn't tighten up the little thing that
    would have changed its destiny. Simple things Specially for a major company
    like RIM!!
    1. Native push email,, it what there known for
    2. Netflix App ?????
    3. a good reader
    4. Faster browser they have the hardware.

They have a great form size with no competition and yet they create a lame
    product thats only 90% right. It seem like they have a death wish.
    These were simple things to get right especially in the face of their competition.
    Last edited by Betmen; 12-30-11 at 07:35 AM.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-30-11 07:30 AM
    It is still a baby and growing. It will grow up soon. Will never be perfect though as nothing is.
    BuzzStarField and bbfan1040 like this.
    12-30-11 07:36 AM
    a company like this on its initial release didn't tighten up the little thing that
    like RIM!!
    2. Netflix App ?????
    3. a good reader

These were simple things to get right especially in the face of their competition.
    Who (iPad, Android, and those no longer available) has released a perfect Tablet and OS? No one. Who isn't even today, working on bugs, fixes, keeping up with user demands? No one. I can't speak on personal experience with iPad but I can on Android Honeycomb, it was not ready for prime time and ICS is a work in progress. Go on an iPad or Android forum and you'll see many complaints. I feel PB was quite well done considering hardware snd OS compared to Honeycomb.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-30-11 07:43 AM
    Perfection would be difficult since consumers use the same product different, but It seems to me that RIM was trying to join the tablet ranks so fast that they released the PlayBook in a fetus state instead of a newborn state....BIG difference in my opinion.
    barskin and bbfan1040 like this.
    12-30-11 07:50 AM
    I really like my Playbook but I feel that if it had been released in the current state that the OS 2.0 Beta is that it would have been a much bigger success, however I am pleased to hear the comments coming out that RIM are planning to support the PB and the rumours about a 10" Playbook also.

People keep comparing RIM to Palm/HP but there is a big difference, Mobile Devices and the tech behind it is RIM's business and there is a dire need to replace the current BBOS.

HP bought Palm in an attempt to get into a fresh market and failed, RIM don't have the option of ditching anything right now if they want to survive and move forward.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-30-11 08:02 AM
    Perfection would be difficult since consumers use the same product different, but It seems to me that RIM was trying to join the tablet ranks so fast that they released the PlayBook in a fetus state instead of a newborn state....BIG difference in my opinion.
    I absolutely agree. RIM has a tendency to rush things. Example: I got my OS7 Torch (9810), and discovered to my chagrin that many of the apps I had come to expect were not available for my new device. Well, the new, improved Torch finally caught up with my old, unimproved Torch, but I was pretty frustrated for a while.

Then, again, as others have pointed out, there is never going to be a perfect device, just one that is best for each of us, according to our own personal needs and desires.
    Spencerdl, jafobabe and bbfan1040 like this.
    12-30-11 08:07 AM
    like RIM!!
    2. Netflix App ?????
    3. a good reader

Because they can't get it working during the launch. It's came from the vision of people experienced in making PAGER not computer, else they might have better imagination for what a finished product is.

However i felt the pb is adequate for my work and browsing internet without having to open my laptop bag, putting in the charger at night and packing it again in the morning to go to work.

Beside that I wait for Playbook 2.0 and Rim other new products just for the fun of it. I noticed other tablets has tons of app for fun.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-30-11 08:11 AM
    like RIM!!
    2. Netflix App ?????
    3. a good reader

product thats only 90% right.
    It seem like they have a death wish.
    90 percent wrong is lame. 90 percent right is an A student. So you have that 90 percent wrong. It's more than a little curious when someone praises a product, then rolls out the same old talking points and calls it lame.

They are working on the other ten percent, meanwhile accumulating fans and an ecosystem. Meanwhile we get to use it and be involved in it's childhood. No complaints here. I call that 90 percent the right thing to do considering the competition and circumstances. Had they waited until feb for the initial release the whole idea would have had to be scrapped.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-30-11 at 08:23 AM.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-30-11 08:16 AM
    like RIM!!
    2. Netflix App ?????
    3. a good reader

First, it's the very first model and I don't know of a product that was released perfect the first time. Second, how can you say it's 90% right and lame at the same time? Yes it needs some improvements but that doesn't make it lame. Many people find it very useful and are looking forward to os2 and the improvements it will bring.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-30-11 08:18 AM
    I really like my Playbook but I feel that if it had been released in the current state that the OS 2.0 lBeta is that it would have been a much bigger success, however I am pleased to hear the comments coming out that RIM are planning to support the PB and the rumours about a 10" Playbook also.

People keep comparing RIM to Palm/HP but there is a big difference, Mobile Devices and the tech behind it is RIM's business and there is a dire need to replace the current BBOS.

HP bought Palm in an attempt to get into a fresh market and failed, RIM don't have the option of ditching anything right now if they want to survive and move forward.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    A 10 inch Tablet should be held off on, and if sold, it needs to be pushed like the Xoom home edition with new and special programs geared towards children, which makes a great excuse for a grown man trying to convince his wife why he needs a 10 inch Tablet!
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-30-11 08:23 AM
    First, it's the very first model and I don't know of a product that was released perfect the first time. Second, how can you say it's 90% right and lame at the same time? Yes it needs some improvements but that doesn't make it lame. Many people find it very useful and are looking forward to os2 and the improvements it will bring.
    I'm a major advocate so do not miss read my comments. Simply put they are not selling very many PB, so ask yourself why. This could be the staw. It kills me to read post that people walk by Pb's at stores without a second look. They need to entice the public, if i used 90% in my post its out of love for the PB. Bottom line People are moving away from RIM. They company need to get it right... simple is that!
    12-30-11 08:55 AM
    Apple, Kindle, ?
    They aren't Blackberry competitors!
    Several real competitors have given up.
    Thank you RIMM for not giving up.
    Thank you RIMM for having the financial strength to finish QNX project!
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-30-11 09:13 AM
    The people who really need to be asking those questions are RIM's investors. I wouldn't be too happy seeing my investment plummet 80% in value. Heads should have rolled by now! There should be a class action lawsuit filed against the board of directors for not performing their due diligence.

The PB is an outstanding piece of hardware. It was the firmware that was missing key elements to make it successful. The flaws were obvious from the beginning. The launch should never have taken place until all the key elements were in place.
    andy957 likes this.
    12-30-11 09:22 AM
    I'm so sick ofthese threads! What's the point of this? No one is gaining anything constructive and every shortcoming you pointed outhas been VERY WELL documented in reviews and other threads.
    peter9477 likes this.
    12-30-11 09:38 AM
    I <3 my PlayBook
    Jeff Deegan likes this.
    12-30-11 09:39 AM
    I'm a major advocate so do not miss read my comments. Simply put they are not selling very many PB, so ask yourself why. This could be the staw. It kills me to read post that people walk by Pb's at stores without a second look. They need to entice the public, if i used 90% in my post its out of love for the PB. Bottom line People are moving away from RIM. They company need to get it right... simple is that!
    All we can do is wait for the os update and hope it addresses some issues. The "sky is falling" (not directed at you) belief from some people is premature I believe. Rim is not losing customers, it has lost market share but there are more players now. If they can improve the playbook and get their act together on the next generation of phones, there is no telling how much it will help their bottom line. We shall see...
    12-30-11 11:02 AM
    Hope So ! Nothing would make me happier.
    Happy New Years to everyone !!
    12-30-11 11:13 AM
    I <3 my PlayBook too!
    12-30-11 11:14 AM
    A 10 inch Tablet should be held off on, and if sold, it needs to be pushed like the Xoom home edition with new and special programs geared towards children, which makes a great excuse for a grown man trying to convince his wife why he needs a 10 inch Tablet!
    Somewhat insulting post. In your seemingly well informed opinion; Are all 10' tabs toys?
    12-30-11 01:49 PM
    90 percent wrong is lame. 90 percent right is an A student. .
    Depends on where you went to school, I guess.
    12-30-11 01:52 PM
    Yes, lack of native email was a big mistake. Also, the market has shifted from specs/hardware to content/apps. The price drop has helped to get it into the hands of more people and hopefully OS2 will really help make a comeback for Rim.
    12-30-11 02:18 PM
    The Playbook itself is well designed; but the total package is terrible, and it's the total package that sells tablets. RIM needs to push hard to get the basic apps out (email and Netflix apps at the top of the list) and do whatever is necessary to attract developers (good development tools, kickbacks and bribes all around).

BTW, OP, the Playbook browser is quite snappy, I think. If yours is slow, there may be something wrong. Some have reported problems with "N" wifi routers.
    12-30-11 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD