Well, I am now in Singapore and observed that there are a lot of people using some form of smartphone, mainly Apple iPhones.

As I was thinking, the real competition for Apple seems to be Android and not Blackberry. Although Blackberry market is shrinking (data coming from North America), it seems to be that they will end up in a special niche market but will continue expanding in developing countries. Blackberry will continue to do well in the near future in developing countries where SMS usage is King. Now, BBM is there to replace traditional SMS.

Apple on the other hand need to worry more about Android. A lot of Apple apps are also available on Android so for a consumer standpoint, the decision to get an Apple or Android comes down to the hardware. Android phone seems to be getting better and better, the OS interface is also getting better and better.

So I say, let Apple and Android fight in North America, while Blackberry will try to spread their wings in developing country, creating this super loyal BBM fans and lock them with BBM.

- Charles
    12-30-11 05:23 AM
    I wish Android and RIM would merge in some sort of weird way enough that they could sue Apple for a bunch of patent infringements and cost them a ton of money or get their products banned. I'm so sick of Apple.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    12-30-11 08:56 AM
    Well, I am now in Singapore and observed that there are a lot of people using some form of smartphone, mainly Apple iPhones.

As I was thinking, the real competition for Apple seems to be Android and not Blackberry. Although Blackberry market is shrinking (data coming from North America), it seems to be that they will end up in a special niche market but will continue expanding in developing countries. Blackberry will continue to do well in the near future in developing countries where SMS usage is King. Now, BBM is there to replace traditional SMS.

Apple on the other hand need to worry more about Android. A lot of Apple apps are also available on Android so for a consumer standpoint, the decision to get an Apple or Android comes down to the hardware. Android phone seems to be getting better and better, the OS interface is also getting better and better.

So I say, let Apple and Android fight in North America, while Blackberry will try to spread their wings in developing country, creating this super loyal BBM fans and lock them with BBM.

- Charles
    I see why BB is dominant in countries like Indonesia, and they will definitely continue to grow there. The interesting part is right smack in the middle of South-East Asia, where RIM is said to be dominating, BB phones are all but forgotten in Singapore, about 1.5 flight hours away from Indonesia. The popular stuff are iPhones and Android phones (particularly Samsung ones).

I have not put much thought into this phenomenon, especially when texting is THE main form of communication in the populace still. Theoretically this would give RIM an advantage but I'm not seeing it here.
    12-30-11 09:36 AM
    Here we go again....
    12-30-11 09:36 AM
    People who hate Apple WHY? Because they are successful... Jealousy. At least respect them instead of bit**ing about them!
    12-30-11 10:36 AM
    I wish Android and RIM would merge in some sort of weird way enough that they could sue Apple for a bunch of patent infringements and cost them a ton of money or get their products banned. I'm so sick of Apple.
    Wont happen.

And yes, let's get their products banned... We all know how great the smartphone business was before Apple threw it for a loop. I'm sure you would have loved it if Android looked almost exactly like BBOS (which it did) before iOS came around.

Apple has over $80 billion. They aren't going anywhere for now.

The more competition the better.
    12-30-11 10:47 AM
    People who hate Apple WHY? Because they are successful... Jealousy. At least respect them instead of bit**ing about them!
    Successful? No. I hate apple because you have to use itunes to do anything with the device(I'm aware there's after market software out to enterface with iproducts) and youf tied to just 1 libary.
    I like devices you can sync with anything or just winexplorer. This is just me. I don't complain about apple until I have to work on em.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    12-30-11 10:54 AM
    Someone is trolling for a Apple vs RIM vs Android fight...

Lets just have an on topic thread...

I didn't see any hate message against apple in the OP's post...
    12-30-11 11:02 AM
    Here we go again....
    Ya know, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the thread title, but I think there's a point here. Like them or not, Apple and Android have risen to co-dominate the smart phone market, at the expense of RIM's initial virtual ownership of it. Those two are going to slug it out for the #1 spot, while RIM is going to struggle -- at least in the short term -- to retain any kind of measurable and significant smart phone market share. I think chaddeus has a good point, and may in fact be suggesting a more realistic goal for RIM. Being more of a niche product, at least specific to smart phones, isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially with everything else the company has going for it. Particularly with the introduction of BB Fusion, they're continuing to solidify their enterprise significance. If you think about it, up until the introduction of the iPod, Apple's Macs were really the same kind of niche product in the world of desktop computers. And while their fortunes have skyrocketed since then, they really weren't in a bad place before that. Granted it's much tougher falling from the top of the mountain, but it could be worse ... like Palm, and I don't think RIM is anywhere near that point.
    12-30-11 11:10 AM
    I see why BB is dominant in countries like Indonesia, and they will definitely continue to grow there. The interesting part is right smack in the middle of South-East Asia, where RIM is said to be dominating, BB phones are all but forgotten in Singapore, about 1.5 flight hours away from Indonesia. The popular stuff are iPhones and Android phones (particularly Samsung ones).

I have not put much thought into this phenomenon, especially when texting is THE main form of communication in the populace still. Theoretically this would give RIM an advantage but I'm not seeing it here.
    I beg to differ though. I find myself seeing more blackberry users in Singapore as compared to before during the initial iPhone craze. I'm seeing people shifting back to blackberry or even to android devices from iPhones. Maybe thats not the case for the entire populace of singapore, but at least from what i'm seeing that seems to be the case.

Also don't forget that singapore has compulsory military service and camera phones are not allowed in most areas. In terms of non camera smartphones, blackberry seem to be the most popular choice. Though most of them probably have another smartphone they use outside of work and would most probably ditch the berries completely after their service.

RIM in my opinion just need to push for developers to develop more apps for their new platform. They don't need millions of apps, but they just need to have enough apps to at least cover all the popular apps and services thats available on other platforms. From what i can see the playbook way of navigation is more intuitive than the iOS devices, so if they can pull that off in BB10 powered phone, people might seriously consider a blackberry for their next device. Of course the OS needs to be solid as well. people like new things. i like to picture the mobile phone industry in the same light as the automotive industry. People tend to hop around and try out what device suits them best at the point of time they want to change their phone, just like people tend to hop around different car brands. You seldom see hardcore fans that would upgrade his/her Honda Civic to another newer Honda Civic and then to another one. They tend to jump around, maybe trying a Toyota Corolla Altis, Hyundai Avante, Kia Cerato Forte... so on and so forth.

so i still have much optimism for RIM, of course they MUST still have a physical keyboard phone like the bold. If not i'll be disappointed.
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 12-30-11 at 11:20 AM.
    12-30-11 11:17 AM
    I can't hate on a company for doing well be it Apple or RIM. Fanboyism is a consumer cancer that keeps people from enjoying all that the market has to offer. It works both ways. I think Apple fanboys (and girls) miss out on great RIM products too.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-30-11 11:22 AM
    Apple's main competitor is Google (Yes Google, not Android. Either that or say iOS vs Android)? I wonder why? Because their products are more similar to each other than BB? Nah, that can't be the reason. If you think the main deciding factor from picking Apple or Google is hardware, you're vastly mistaken. It's either the os or the name. If it was hardware only, an Android phone would win every time. (When I say hardware, I mean specs since that's what the OP make it sound like)
    12-30-11 11:24 AM
    Nope. I like that they're successful because it means the ability to offer more jobs and bring money to the economy. What I don't like is their brazen bragging at stealing ideas and buying patents for technology that they didn't create and then turning around and suing other companies for 'stealing' their ideas and using their patents. They successfully for a short amount of time got a couple companies banned from consumers being able to buy the products (the Samsung tab for one). Their latest attempt is to go after HTC and possibly get them banned from selling any devices in the United States. For example, Apple decided to get a patent on swipe to unlock. Really?! So now they can go after any company that uses a swipe to unlock their phone. Now they're trying to patent facial recognition to unlock. They got HTC with a patent that allows you to look up a number and dial it directly.

They went after Samsung because they have a tablet that has a flat screen, rounded corners, and is black. This would essentially be the same as X TV manufacturer suing Y TV manufacturer because their TV had a flat screen and the device itself has rounded corners.

So it's not the success that bugs me. It's the fact that they are trying to stiffle competition. The only reason why they don't go after RIM is because they don't perceive them as a threat. But I betcha if this QNX comes out and it starts taking sales away from Apple, they'll be going after RIM also.

Essentially Apple is hurting the consumer and limiting the buying choices that we should have.

So while others might not feel this way, I feel that if you buy an Apple product, you are supporting their monopolistic, non-competitive attitude and behavior. And this is why I do not allow the purchase of Apple products in my house.
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 12-30-11 at 02:14 PM.
    12-30-11 02:10 PM
    Apple's main competitor is Google (Yes Google, not Android. Either that or say iOS vs Android)? I wonder why? Because their products are more similar to each other than BB? Nah, that can't be the reason. If you think the main deciding factor from picking Apple or Google is hardware, you're vastly mistaken. It's either the os or the name. If it was hardware only, an Android phone would win every time. (When I say hardware, I mean specs since that's what the OP make it sound like)
    Wrong. Read this. And, yes, Apple is serious.
    Apple to Samsung: Don't Make Thin or Rectangular Tablets or Smartphones | PCWorld
    12-30-11 02:15 PM
    Wont happen.

And yes, let's get their products banned... We all know how great the smartphone business was before Apple threw it for a loop. I'm sure you would have loved it if Android looked almost exactly like BBOS (which it did) before iOS came around.

Apple has over $80 billion. They aren't going anywhere for now.

The more competition the better.
    I realize that they aren't going anywhere. That's not my point. I don't see any reason why not to have them banned when they have gotten other companies banned. HTC may very well be banned in mid-2012 from selling products in the U.S. They got Samsung banned for quite a bit of time in a few countries. They did this by blantantly altering concept drawings given to a judge. They are not about more competition; they are about crushing the competition so that there isn't competition.

In case you think I'm kidding, here's how Apple suggests phones and tablets be built
    Apple to Samsung: Don't Make Thin or Rectangular Tablets or Smartphones | PCWorld
    12-30-11 02:18 PM
    what the ef does even have to do with what i said? did i say anything about how apple and samsung's products look alike? about their law suit?
    Last edited by m0c21; 12-30-11 at 02:32 PM.
    12-30-11 02:29 PM
    All I know is that I like Blackberry,and I use Blackberry. I have nothing against apple or android they do what they do....and I do what I do .....use Blackberry products because I LIKE
    12-30-11 02:48 PM
    what the ef does even have to do with what i said? did i say anything about how apple and samsung's products look alike? about their law suit?
    I'm not quite sure why you responded so rudely to my post. But my apologies for reading through your post too quickly. I thought you had said that Apple's main deal with Android was their software and not hardware. It's why I posted that to show that Apple has ridiculous expectations of hardware and is indeed going after other companies because of hardware.
    12-30-11 02:54 PM
    TBH, most smartphone customers are fickle buyers at best. They will be on BB today, iOS tomorrow and Android the day after.

Most are just average users who are just on the lookout for something new. They get bored of iOS as fast as they get bored of Android.

Its only diehard fans of Android, BB and iOS who frequent these forums and who would not switch from their device. Its their views that we read and being one of "them" we too tend to look at the world in a black and white view.
    12-30-11 03:00 PM
    Wow. That was perfect. Exactly what I think should happen. Kinda wierd I just said this to my gf. LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-11 03:01 PM
    Singapore is a tiny wealthy country and the government probably ordered them to buy iPhones with fear of prison terms

If you really want to be a rebel in Singapore chew gum and talk on a BB phone at the same time
    12-30-11 03:11 PM
    My tmobile vibrant is the splitting image of an iPhone 3GS and Samsung even went as far as to duplicate user controls in apps like the browser. The memo app was made to replicate ios. They put cover flow in the media player and thought they'd get away with it. In the froyo update they made the browser tab switching look exactly like safari mobile.

Samsung has always shamelessly copied apple. It's no secret and it's no surprise Apple went after them. they didn't used to be shy about it either.

The touch wiz launcher looks like iOS an the default app list is also set up to replicate the iOS home screen style. they added double tap home button for voice control, similar to ios home long press when any other android phone allow you to do this by long pressing the search key.

Seriously, that's not hurting the consumer lol. Those Korean companies are known for copying. Lg has a launcher that looks like iOS as well, but Samsung went to great lengths to make their devices function like iPhones. They took it way too far, and it right that apple should go after them. Galaxy S phones were the poor mans iPhones. Everyone knew that. It's part of the reason I got the Vibrant, being on Tmobile.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Last edited by N8ter; 12-30-11 at 08:20 PM.
    avt123 likes this.
    12-30-11 08:17 PM
    I share your opinion. Apple is right to go after Samsung. I've seen a few Samsung phones that really look like iPhones. And I've seen a Samsung phone that looks like a BB Bold or Curve.
    12-30-11 09:26 PM
    To be honest I'm half on the fence. Samsung had 5+ galaxy s variant. The tmobile vibrant was the most obvious offender. I'm wondering if tmobile made samsung make it look so much like the 3GS in an attempt to compete with the AT&T iPhone (Verizon didn't have one yet an the i4 wasn't out yet).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    12-31-11 12:36 AM
    Someone is trolling for a Apple vs RIM vs Android fight...

Lets just have an on topic thread...

I didn't see any hate message against apple in the OP's post...
    Hes not talking about the OP he's talking about the guy under him
    12-31-11 12:49 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD