I got my 9900 a couple of weeks ago and really haven't used the hotspot feature. I've tried it a few times and didn't have much success. However today I went to lunch and my phone showed a strong 4g signal so I thought I'd give it a try.

I sat at a table near the window and activated the hotspot and connected my PlayBook. CrackBerry opened like I was sitting at my desk. I went to speedtest.net to see how fast I was. Ran the test 10 times (5 each from 2 different servers) and my speeds went from 3.76 to 7.40mbps. Each time I tested it the speed went up.

I continued surfing and when I finished lunch and turned off the hotspot I noticed a yellow globe in the notification bar. I clicked on the bar and saw there was a link to the browser. It was an offer from T-Mobile.

Smartphone Mobile HotSpot
    Your data plan has not yet been configured to support the Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMH) service.

It then gave me a chance to add it for $14.99 per month.

I'm curious to see if TMO will contact me to add this or just charging me. I already have the Mobile Broadband service with them that if they are willing to eliminate or reduce the ETF I would switch to the SMH and save almost $20 a month.

ADDED: Looks like T-Mobile is watching!
    Last edited by EdS817; 12-29-11 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added screen shot of T-Mobile message
    12-29-11 11:57 AM
    Interesting. I was initially be rerouted to the TMO website when I would connect. I then added the plan on was able to use it. But since roughly last Friday it will not launch. I am getting a "can not connect to the network" message. TBO CS has been no help...sucks!
    12-30-11 01:17 PM
    That hasnt happened to me yet, I will keep an eye out. I was adviced to set the apn t epc.blackberry.net to avoid being detected. Is that what yall did?
    12-30-11 06:05 PM
    Is this the leaked OS or did I miss an official 7.1 release for 9900?
    12-30-11 06:07 PM
    im actually wondering the same. are you using the leaked os?
    12-30-11 06:18 PM
    Hi I'm a tmo 9900 bold user they told me yesterday n today that blkberry bold 9900 does not support the wi-fi hotspot yet however it will support it when the new 7.1 update becomes ava y is it that u have n I can't get it yet?
    12-30-11 06:23 PM
    Is this the leaked OS or did I miss an official 7.1 release for 9900?
    Hi I'm a tmo 9900 bold user they told me yesterday n today that blkberry bold 9900 does not support the wi-fi hotspot yet however it will support it when the new 7.1 update becomes ava y is it that u have n I can't get it yet?
    You can see from the OP's device details that he's using the leaked 7.1.0.74
    12-30-11 06:28 PM
    sorry about that i missed that. thanks a lot
    12-30-11 06:30 PM
    Has this happened to anyone with a Verizon 9930? Is there any way to get around being detected as mentioned before?
    12-30-11 09:43 PM
    I have gotten that message a few timew now while using the host spot feature and bluetooth tethering but have not been blocked yet.
    12-31-11 02:27 AM
    That hasnt happened to me yet, I will keep an eye out. I was adviced to set the apn t epc.blackberry.net to avoid being detected. Is that what yall did?
    Do you still add your TMO phone # and password?

And for those who asked I'm using the leaked version of the OS.
    12-31-11 06:48 AM

I have mine with the username and password and still got the message.
    12-31-11 08:50 AM

no i leave that part blank
    12-31-11 04:58 PM
    I tried this a few times and it no problems with the Hotspot and no notices from TMO to sign up for the $14.99/month feature.

Today I tried it with just the APN - epc.blackberry.net, no username (phone #) or password and it connected and worked perfectly.
    01-06-12 06:26 AM
    For TMo USA customers epc.blackberry.net does not provide workaround if running V7.1.0.190.
    01-06-12 09:11 AM
    For TMo USA customers epc.blackberry.net does not provide workaround if running V7.1.0.190.
    What do you mean? It doesn't allow you to use the Hotspot or it doesn't prevent you from getting the message to add the Hotspot feature to your plan?
    01-06-12 09:23 AM
    Today was the first time I got the little Browser notification. I installed the 7.1.0.74 leak a couple of weeks ago and I've been using the hotspot feature sparingly but a few times a week. I also saw this today in the FAQ for the Smartphone Mobile Hotspot feature:
    Last edited by tonymanifesto; 01-06-12 at 09:04 PM.
    01-06-12 09:01 PM
    The hotspot has been working fine for me on the .74 build. Whenever I upgraded to the new leak or any hybrid newer than .74 build, the hotspot stop working and it directs me to the offer page. Hotspot works as long as there's a popup asking for APN and password. Is there any by-pass for the re-route to the offer page in .190 leak?
    01-07-12 03:02 AM
    did a little search on the forum and here is the solution for those who are on T-Mobile US and want the hotspot back

http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-...ml#post7003494
    01-07-12 03:31 AM
    What do you mean? It doesn't allow you to use the Hotspot or it doesn't prevent you from getting the message to add the Hotspot feature to your plan?
    I mean you'll be pushed to the TMo upsell page no matter what you put as the APN setting.
    01-07-12 08:51 AM
    T-Mobile started offering the Smartphone Mobile Hotspot addon for free for two new data plans. Details are here http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...08#post7063308
    01-25-12 01:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD