The existing Playbook size at 7.00 inches is the ideal size as far as I am concerned. My EXOPC has an 11.6 inch screen and it stays at home. An iPad would be also too big for me to carry. RIM is all about MOTION (MOBILITY). One of the reasons that Blackberry phone is successful is that it could do email and messaging almost as well as a PC. When a Playbook gets to the sizes of 10.00 inches, there is no reason for anyone to get one. Might just as well carry a larger PC tablet or a laptop instead. Quite a number of folks here get the Playbook because of the size and I for one would not have gotten one if it were released with a 10 or 9 inches screen.
    Hgouck, kbz1960, jafobabe and 3 others like this.
    12-28-11 07:30 PM
    I agree 100%. The size was a big factor in my purchase of the PB. I see people carring the bigger tablets and I just don't get the reasoning. My PB fits in my pocket. Easy to one hand type without getting a sore wrist. I love the 7" size.
    jafobabe, rotorwrench and ndon70 like this.
    12-28-11 07:35 PM
    Yep and Yep! ok, Yes and Yes!
    12-28-11 07:39 PM
    i concur from my playbook right now.
    12-28-11 07:52 PM
    yah of all the complaints about the playbook, i dont think the size was one of the big ones.

personally i don't mind a 10" tablet at all (i dont see the need to carry a tablet in my pocket as i'm always carrying my bag anyway) but not for the extra cost.
    I'm with you. I always have my messenger bag with me. Always have my iPad, and now my PB with me. Hands free until I get where Im going.
    12-28-11 08:05 PM
    I agree for me. I also think there should be different sizes for different choices.
    12-28-11 08:30 PM
    I'm assuming they'd want a range of options like the phones

Some people want a larger tablet and if they can't buy BB they'd buy iPad or iTab.

A super-thin swiping-OS larger tablet would be
    12-28-11 08:39 PM
    The 7 in screen is perfect for me, it fits perfect in cargo pants pocket. 10 in would be to large to carry around, might as well bring a Laptop.
    12-28-11 09:07 PM
    OP gets it.
    12-28-11 09:10 PM
    The size is perfect as it is. I take my PB everywhere with me. I can't imagine lugging around a larger PB
    12-28-11 09:15 PM
    The existing Playbook size at 7.00 inches is the ideal size as far as I am concerned. My EXOPC has an 11.6 inch screen and it stays at home. An iPad would be also too big for me to carry. RIM is all about MOTION (MOBILITY). One of the reasons that Blackberry phone is successful is that it could do email and messaging almost as well as a PC. When a Playbook gets to the sizes of 10.00 inches, there is no reason for anyone to get one. Might just as well carry a larger PC tablet or a laptop instead. Quite a number of folks here get the Playbook because of the size and I for one would not have gotten one if it were released with a 10 or 9 inches screen.
    I probably would have bought a 8-10 inch size in lieu of a 7 inch.

Ipad's size is not a deterrent for many people, obviously. See its sales.

If you're using your playbook just for email, I think you're missing the point of tablets. And I disagree with people saying that the ipad is not mobile.
    12-28-11 11:27 PM
    I am still on my Christmas break. For the last few days, I�ve been taking my Playbook with me. It comes in handy quite a few times when I was waiting in line for Dinner. Twice, I have to wait almost 2 hours for my meal. I was able to connect it with my phone (Samsung Android) surfing or just watch downloaded Podcast. It is amazing how many folks have smart phones. It seems at less 40-50% of the folks waiting is playing with their electronic devices.

I took the Playbook with me as is fits in my glove compartment of my car easily. I would not be able to take along a Touchpad like an iPad with me as it would not fit. I also lug my PC in a massager bag with me when I travel but I would not lug a massager bag when I go out for dinner. The issue is the Playbook is very portable and I can take it along with ease. I am waiting for the OS2 so I can get my Bluetooth headset paired with it.

I guess some would prefer a bigger screen but I am happy with this 7.00 inch screen the way it is now.
    12-29-11 12:46 AM
    I'm with you, but I would consider a ten inch for home usage, as a supplement, not a primary device, and surely not for mobility. It would just be more comfortable than a laptop.

Sometimes the playbook is just too small and the wide aspect ratio annoying for reading and websurfing, plus the keyboard takes too much real estate.
    I still would not get an ipad though. The only reason I might even consider a ten inch is if it were a playbook.
    12-29-11 01:01 AM
    Having both 10" Android and 7" Playbook, I can say that for most things the larger size seems to work best--less fiddly and less eyestrain. But, small is good for some things and, most important, you can't put a 10" tablet in the coat pocket. I think RIM should shrink the bezel a bit and enlarge the screen to 8". That would make a significant difference in terms of eyestrain and would preserve the small form factor.
    12-29-11 01:14 AM
    7 inch is perfect for me but I know for my wife the 10ish inch is what she wants. Till bb has a 10 inch tablet she will not own a blackberry tablet. For a lot of family I know the tablet is becoming a laptop replacement. 99% of my family that have personal laptops didn't need them to get real stuff done. They were used for web surfing mainly, some email away from "the computer room", be it the livingroom couch, or back portch catching the last rays of sun at the end of the day, or a way to stay connected when away from home.

For this segment using a 10 inch is not a issue for many, it will already be quite a bit more compact than what they are used to. I would like to see one, as an additional size availble so I can get my wife using the bb tablet, but not sure if it a good move for RIM itself!
    Last edited by blue-b; 12-29-11 at 01:26 AM.
    bbvj likes this.
    12-29-11 01:24 AM
    How about this - a 7 inch convertible. Folded in half it is the size it is now. unfold it and it doubles the size vertically. Square format for reading fold down to HD format for media. Done deal. Outthink them RIM. Eventually this will be done with a flexible or foldable display. The bottom screen could be the virtual keyboard ...or... not.

Outthink them RIM. Think ahead of the competition. Stop following. Eventually this will be done with a flexible or foldable display.
    Just do it now. Be a leader and innovator again.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-29-11 at 01:44 AM.
    12-29-11 01:38 AM
    7 inch is perfect for me but I know for my wife the 10ish inch is what she wants.
    And they tell you size doesn't matter.

I prefer the smaller 7" tablet for my use but there, obviously, is a market for larger tablets.
    I can see where students taking notes on one all day would want the larger screen.
    blue-b likes this.
    12-29-11 05:05 AM
    There is nothing wrong with:

C H O I C E
    12-29-11 09:46 AM
    In terms of portability, 7" PB can't beat your BB or my Iphone. It's as simple as that. While 7" is way more portable than 10" device, it also has limited uses due to screen size.

For enterprise use, people are looking for something that will replace laptops while in office, meetings, etc. If they can carry laptops, they will be a lot happier with tablets.

I'm not sure if you are aware. Those people who are in the meetings all day carry power adapters for their laptops, because most laptops don't last more than 2-3 hours on battery alone. 10" tablets are big enough in screen size, while the battery will last all day of office application use. This is the enterprise market RIM needs to take notice. Execs I met who carry IPads instead of laptops love IPad for that reason.
    bbvj likes this.
    12-29-11 10:08 AM
    How about this - a 7 inch convertible. Folded in half it is the size it is now. unfold it and it doubles the size vertically. Square format for reading fold down to HD format for media. Done deal. Outthink them RIM. Eventually this will be done with a flexible or foldable display. The bottom screen could be the virtual keyboard ...or... not.

Outthink them RIM. Think ahead of the competition. Stop following. Eventually this will be done with a flexible or foldable display.
    Just do it now. Be a leader and innovator again.
    This is exactly the design Microsoft (actually Mr. Gates himself) killed couple of years ago (two smaller screens), because it didn't have Microsoft Outlook on it (although it could have been added).
    12-29-11 10:12 AM
    In terms of portability, 7" PB can't beat your BB or my Iphone. It's as simple as that. While 7" is way more portable than 10" device, it also has limited uses due to screen size.

For enterprise use, people are looking for something that will replace laptops while in office, meetings, etc. If they can carry laptops, they will be a lot happier with tablets.

I'm not sure if you are aware. Those people who are in the meetings all day carry power adapters for their laptops, because most laptops don't last more than 2-3 hours on battery alone. 10" tablets are big enough in screen size, while the battery will last all day of office application use. This is the enterprise market RIM needs to take notice. Execs I met who carry IPads instead of laptops love IPad for that reason.
    I use the 7" Playbook for exactly the reasons you're telling me I need a 10" device.
    I'm not saying there is no requirement for a 10" tablet but I have no requirement for one, so far.
    If I need anything other than the Playbook I use a 13" laptop. I use the laptop for programming, not because of the screen size.
    12-29-11 08:53 PM
    I use the 7" Playbook for exactly the reasons you're telling me I need a 10" device.
    I'm not saying there is no requirement for a 10" tablet but I have no requirement for one, so far.
    If I need anything other than the Playbook I use a 13" laptop. I use the laptop for programming, not because of the screen size.
    Do you represent typical enterprise users? Good you're able to use 13" laptop for programming, I need a 30" screen to be productive at SW development.

What you or I require may be irrelevant, just like many PB owners are happy here but more expensive IPads are selling better.

RIM cannot target minority if they want to survive.
    bbvj likes this.
    12-29-11 09:34 PM
    rim needs options.their first launch of a tablet was a complete failure.more people chose the ipad.its like relationships.what good would it be if you and your mate had the same personalities?not everything or everyone is perfect.and you have to accept that.so rim making a 10 inch model doesn't hurt them.it gives them an option to compete with apple/android's tablets.after all,tech industry is all about innovating.
    12-29-11 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD