I have a 9810/playbook/att carrier. I have wifi @ home so the bridge works great there. My question to my fellow crackberrions is...

Do I need to buy a tethering package in order to use wifi/internet on playbook while noy in a hot spot? My understanding was that I could use bluetooth and use my phones carrier connection to access gps/email/ facebook etc without buying "tehering package". Am I wrong? And if so if any knows what att charges per month let me know. I could call buit you guys are more educated than the ppl working the phns and waaay faster!
    12-28-11 01:20 PM
    Don't know about att, but on verizon I pay 20$/month for 2GB as a tethering package. You're right, if you just use the bridge feature meaning the bridge browser should be free. However, I heard people on att had lotta of problems with the bridge. I'm a verizon guy so not sure.
    12-28-11 01:43 PM
    I have a 9810/playbook/att carrier. I have wifi @ home so the bridge works great there. My question to my fellow crackberrions is...

Do I need to buy a tethering package in order to use wifi/internet on playbook while noy in a hot spot? My understanding was that I could use bluetooth and use my phones carrier connection to access gps/email/ facebook etc without buying "tehering package". Am I wrong? And if so if any knows what att charges per month let me know. I could call buit you guys are more educated than the ppl working the phns and waaay faster!
    When you are on WiFi at home it does not use the bridge. So no tethering plan is needed.

Bridge is used with your phone data plan via bluetooth, to your PB. In order to NOT get charged additionally from AT&T (like having to buy an additional tethering plan), The Bridge App on your phone should NOT be the one downloaded from App World.
    Delete the Bridge App from your phone and go to rroyy's site (from your phone) and download the OTA Bridge for OS7.

RROYY - APPLICATIONS

Re-par your BB to the PB and surfing the web will not incure any additional charges UNLESS you go over your phone's data plan.

You can read more tips and tricks for the PB by clicking on the link below my signature.

Hope this helps!
    12-28-11 01:54 PM
    Thanks so much having spent hours trying to figure out why my wifes 9700 would fully tether and my 9900 would not you have provided the solution. Cheers.
    mtnsrgr8 likes this.
    12-28-11 04:24 PM
    Crackberry has a wealth of knowledgeable people that can and will help. If you have any more questions please ask. I am glad your problem is solved.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-28-11 05:52 PM
    Can someone point me to instructions on how a newbie can install RROYY apps onto his BB (bold, got it several weeks ago).

When you are on WiFi at home it does not use the bridge. So no tethering plan is needed.

Bridge is used with your phone data plan via bluetooth, to your PB. In order to NOT get charged additionally from AT&T (like having to buy an additional tethering plan), The Bridge App on your phone should NOT be the one downloaded from App World.
    Delete the Bridge App from your phone and go to rroyy's site (from your phone) and download the OTA Bridge for OS7.

RROYY - APPLICATIONS

Re-par your BB to the PB and surfing the web will not incure any additional charges UNLESS you go over your phone's data plan.

You can read more tips and tricks for the PB by clicking on the link below my signature.

Hope this helps!
    01-03-12 04:15 PM
    Just navigate to this forum on your Bold click on the link and it will open the web page and click on the app required.
    01-03-12 06:38 PM
    Can someone point me to instructions on how a newbie can install RROYY apps onto his BB (bold, got it several weeks ago).
    1. Delete the bridge app on your phone (options, device, application Management, highlight BB bridge, hit menu and delete)
    2. Reboot your phone
    3. Point your phones browser to the rroyy link http://www.rroyy.com/ota/
    4. Download the OTA version that matches your phones OS 6.0 or7.0
    5. Re-par to your PB
    I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions
    Last edited by Hgouck; 01-03-12 at 06:52 PM.
    chuckre likes this.
    01-03-12 06:47 PM
    Maybe I missed it, but the RRoYY tether app is only needed if you are on AT&T, otherwise, the native bridge app is fine with other carriers.
    01-03-12 06:50 PM
    Maybe I missed it, but the RRoYY tether app is only needed if you are on AT&T, otherwise, the native bridge app is fine with other carriers.
    And it would seem that if you are on AT&T but already are signed up for tethering (as I am for work so I can tether to my laptop) then the bridge also works fine without needing to install this separate bridging app...correct?

At least that is the case for me and my employer is already paying the tethering charge.

But it is good to know the alternative solution is there for AT&T customers that does not require adding tethering service.
    01-04-12 12:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD