I know that I recently asked this question, but I feel as though I didn't get anywhere. I was on the phone for probably an hour this morning with at&t tech support thinking they could fix my poll issue. Basically, my 2 yahoo accounts are instantaneous. My exchange account, on the other hand, can take 2-20mins for an email to populate on my phone. Mind you, looking at my emails on Outlook or directly in Exchange, they are there immediately. Apparently the guy at at&t screwed me over (don't feel like explaining...) And I'm back to not getting time-sensitive emails. What's my next plan of approach?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-11 08:58 PM
    If you want immediate push email then you are going to have to install BES or free BES Express which will then show quicker than they do in Outlook, if you are using standard BIS then its just wait until they arrive im afraid plus if you do use BES Express you have the added benefit of synced Contacts,Wireless Calendar, Tasks and Notes but you dont get any of these with BIS and Exchange
    12-27-11 09:16 PM
    Bah. This blows because everybody else has an iphone or droid, which AINT happening for me.

I don't get it tho; one of the email addy's I use was a college email address and when u had my curve, it was instantaneous. What's different between the Bold/Curve that disallows Push or at least IMAP emails to be sent to my phone?

12-27-11 09:22 PM
    they are still being pushed to the phone or so they should be, its just RIM will poll some providers quicker than others for example my Yahoo is like 2-3 seconds where a when i was on BIS it was not that quick
    12-27-11 09:41 PM
    So I have to coerce my company into using some form of bes for ONLY me in order to get my emails timely?! Why is it I get them in 2mins sometimes and in 20mins other times?

12-27-11 09:51 PM
    BES will push it out almost immediately along with synching Outlooks tasks, contacts, calander and notes. If not BIS will push it out every 15-20 minutes but not synch the rest of Outlook.

The difference is AT&T is going to charge you an additional $15 a month to use BES.
    I'm on it and I get my emails on my 9900 before they come into Outlook. In my personal opionion for me; the Blackberry really needs to be on BES to take full advantage of it and be useful. Otherwise in order to get full synching of Outlook you have to always plug it into your computer.
    12-27-11 10:02 PM
    I'm actually using OWA, but I don't think that changes anything. That's just completely silly to me that on any other email account I don't have this issue, only my owa accnt.

12-27-11 10:05 PM
    Well as no one is gonna actually answer the question that was asked, here it goes. Yahoo,gmail and some others use a state called imap idle, your exchange account by the sounds of it is using OWA(which is pop) and becaause of this, will poll the account every 15 to 20 minutes. If it finds new email it will decrease the poll time to I think to 12 minutes then to 4 minutes until it detects no new activity in the account at which time the poll reverts in reverse.
    The actual timeframes are estimates, but the idea behind the time is what is important. If you want the emails instantly, see if there is a way to add a forwarding rule to a att.blackberry.net email account and set it accordingly.

You can search these forums for that process.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    spike12 likes this.
    12-27-11 10:14 PM
    Ya OWA works fine for me. All my other accounts with Gmail and google domain work just as they should. But beats having my own personal BES
    12-27-11 10:33 PM
    Well as no one is gonna actually answer the question that was asked, here it goes. Yahoo,gmail and some others use a state called imap idle, your exchange account by the sounds of it is using OWA(which is pop) and becaause of this, will poll the account every 15 to 20 minutes. If it finds new email it will decrease the poll time to I think to 12 minutes then to 4 minutes until it detects no new activity in the account at which time the poll reverts in reverse.
    The actual timeframes are estimates, but the idea behind the time is what is important. If you want the emails instantly, see if there is a way to add a forwarding rule to a att.blackberry.net email account and set it accordingly.

You can search these forums for that process.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    If this is the case, that OWA is pop, why do all my co-workers with stupid iphones and droids and whatnot get their mail instantly? Why did exchange mail used to work instantly on my 9330 curve?
    I think your right about polling times in regards to activity; because if there are a series of emails coming out, I will get them in very few minutes (which is still too long, if you ask me..) but if the network is calm, it can take up to 20-ish minutes again to receive emails.

I have read that if I do the email forwarding, that they will NOT be able to see the email addy that I am using to send/receive emails on, right? Because the company only wants *their* email addresses to be seen by clients.

Ya OWA works fine for me. All my other accounts with Gmail and google domain work just as they should. But beats having my own personal BES
    Are you saying that you are ok with the 20-ish minute delay that's sometimes prevalent?
    12-28-11 02:42 PM
    BES will push it out almost immediately along with synching Outlooks tasks, contacts, calander and notes. If not BIS will push it out every 15-20 minutes but not synch the rest of Outlook.

The difference is AT&T is going to charge you an additional $15 a month to use BES.
    I'm on it and I get my emails on my 9900 before they come into Outlook. In my personal opionion for me; the Blackberry really needs to be on BES to take full advantage of it and be useful. Otherwise in order to get full synching of Outlook you have to always plug it into your computer.
    Blackberry have recently release BES Activation which can be downloaded for free from Appworld, can get it from Free Enterprise Activation - Download Enterprise Activation - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World this should fix the problem with carriers wanting extra dough for nothing, it does for me.
    12-28-11 02:55 PM
    Wait.. so where do I install the free enterprise activation??? Onto my BBerry or onto the server?!
    12-28-11 03:00 PM
    You need to install BES Express BlackBerry - BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express - BESX - BlackBerry US on the server and to Activate on Handheld you download Free Enterprise Activation - Download Enterprise Activation - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World on the Blackberry, both are free
    12-28-11 03:03 PM
    Excellent! So basically this is the only way, eh?

I'll talk it over with the engineers and the head honcho who 'yeah/neigh's' all-things server hehe.

Thanks a ton for everybodies help though... LOVE the site!
    12-28-11 03:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD