I received a PlayBook for Christmas and LOVE it. Just a brief history, I used to be on CB all the time, I had a Storm and a Storm 2, Prior to that I had a HTC Apache (WinMo) and a HTC Titan (WinMo). I now have an iPhone 4 that I use as my main device. I still have my BBs and I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab (Android Gingerbread). So no one can call me a fanboy. They all have their ups and downs. I've flashed bootloaders and custom roms on my old WinMo devices (both of which I still have), loaded beta and hybrid OSs on my BBs, jailbroke my iPhone and rooted my SGT. So I have experience messing around with the devices beyond what the manufacturer intended. All that aside, I still have my SocialScope account and I was looking to load it on my PlayBook, however, I need the browser ID set to Blackberry and I can't seem to find a setting on the PlayBook to set it as such. Is there a 3rd party browser that will allow this? Is it an option in OS 2.0? I'm on the latest official OS on my PB, which I'm sure will be changing in the near future, but for now I'm just trying to load this app. lol. Any help would be appreciated and in the meantime I'll continue the hunt for changing the browser ID on the Playbook, if possible.

Sorry if I sound like I'm rambling, I work 3rd shift and it's currently 2pm which is WAY past my bedtime, lol. To make matters worse I've been awake since 8am Monday morning, so I'm on hour 30 without sleep.

Edit: While I'm thinking about it, and without starting a new thread as I haven't searched around a lot on this topic, are there any keyboard skins? Perhaps a split keyboard for typing while in landscape? I use Thumb Keyboard on my SGT and it splits the keyboard real nice so you don't have to stretch to get the keys in the middle.
    Last edited by Lylej2k; 12-27-11 at 01:28 PM.
    12-27-11 01:09 PM
    There are now a few alternative browsers where you can set UserAgent. I'm not sure if that is what you need but one is Simple Browser (and there's a few threads on it) - a free and paid version in appworld. Then there's a thread on "two apps rim does not......" where a link to the other browser for sideloading can be found.
    KermEd likes this.
    12-27-11 08:03 PM
    As of now, answers are no and no.

Changing the browser id would be in RIM's interest. Not only for the PlayBoob, but for all OS6+ devices.

It may be possible after rooting thou, bug I wouldn't lnow where to start.

@F2: True, there are some browser alternatives that allow for id change, but none that identify the PB as a BlackBerry device.
    12-27-11 08:07 PM
    There are now a few alternative browsers where you can set UserAgent. I'm not sure if that is what you need but one is Simple Browser (and there's a few threads on it) - a free and paid version in appworld. Then there's a thread on "two apps rim does not......" where a link to the other browser for sideloading can be found.
    I was looking at the "2 apps RIM doesn't want you to have" and I see it has a BB9800 ID. That may just do the trick. I've downloaded Simple Browser also, but haven't had the time to check it out. Having to sleep sucks! Stupid 3rd shift, but I'll check it out tonight, see if that works. If not I'm gonna load the other browser mentioned in the above mentioned thread.
    12-27-11 09:21 PM
    They both should let you set it to a workable user agent, I don't have a preset for a BB handheld in SimpleBrowser, but you can input any custom string you'd like to use. So just go to Whats My User Agent? on your berry and type that in the custom field.

BTW, if you downloaded the free version, you won't be able to change the user agent until the update hits app world. (Should be soon, 24 hours or so)
    12-27-11 09:55 PM
    They both should let you set it to a workable user agent, I don't have a preset for a BB handheld in SimpleBrowser, but you can input any custom string you'd like to use. So just go to Whats My User Agent? on your berry and type that in the custom field.

BTW, if you downloaded the free version, you won't be able to change the user agent until the update hits app world. (Should be soon, 24 hours or so)
    So tell me, HaTaX ol'pal ol'buddy... What would we put there? Simply type "BlackBerry PalyBook" in the user ID field?

Can you tell if a rooted device could have the ID changed on the native browser?
    12-28-11 09:37 AM
    Hmm My user agent with the native/default browser is as follows..

Lots of RIM reference there.. Maybe it's an OS2 Beta thing..
    12-28-11 04:57 PM
    Yea OS1 insists I use an html5 youtube full site which wont frickin full screen properly.
    12-28-11 09:37 PM
    The update hasn't hit app world yet. Hopefully it'll be there tomorrow. I'd really like to have Socialscope on my Playbook. Looking at my account on my Storm2 it appears that I have 5 invites to give out.

I'm also curious as to what I would enter for the user agent so it sees me as a Blackberry phone and not the Playbook. Once the update hits that is.
    Last edited by Lylej2k; 12-31-11 at 01:38 AM.
    12-31-11 01:35 AM
    If you're familiar with sideloading, you could grab the latest free version and get the ability to test it out. I posted it up in the SimpleBrowser thread so that people could download it right away if they don't want to wait for app world...

Also, when I check the user agent on my 9900, it returns:
    Code:
     Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.74 Mobile Safari/534.11+
    You want to check what your user agent is listed as on the device that you want to emulate? Go to Whats My User Agent? and that is the string that you would want to enter into the custom user agent window in SimpleBrowser.

Sorry that they haven't approved it yet! I'm chalking it up to the holiday season and will get on them if I don't see it approved by the 2nd or 3rd.
    12-31-11 02:54 AM
    As of now, answers are no and no.

Changing the browser id would be in RIM's interest. Not only for the PlayBoob, but for all OS6+ devices.

It may be possible after rooting thou, bug I wouldn't lnow where to start.

@F2: True, there are some browser alternatives that allow for id change, but none that identify the PB as a BlackBerry device.
    Actually mine does (Desktop Browser) it has a toggle to replicate a BB8900 for user agent. And HaTaXs Simple Browser is customizable for any user agent. So yes they can
    12-31-11 03:10 AM
    Actually mine does (Desktop Browser) it has a toggle to replicate a BB8900 for user agent. And HaTaXs Simple Browser is customizable for any user agent. So yes they can
    Answer is no for the native browser, smartpants...

And guess what, most users WILL use the native browser.

And do you know wbat the problem is? Sites do not identify the PlayBook or any OS6/7 devices as BlackBerry, they think they are some generic webkit.

So yeah, changing to Firefox, IE, etc is nice, but not what we truly need...
    12-31-11 03:00 PM
    Check into loading OS2 and using dolphin browser.

I'm a student at OSU and thought the playbook would be a great alternative for class versus a laptop. It was until I tried to load up a course website and it refused to work with the playbooks browser that I realized my error. Simple browser did not do the trick either.

My solution has been both Android's native browser and dolphin browser. Dolphin browser actually has a great setting that includes a "custom" user agent option. Hope this helps!
    12-31-11 03:37 PM
    Simple Browser has Custom User Agent but I have not toyed with it yet. I did change to it other options but could not fool GoogleMaps. I will try Custom when I get a chance.
    12-31-11 03:54 PM
    The update is in App World. Gonna see if I can change the user agent and get socialscope to load. I'll post my findings shortly.
    01-03-12 09:24 PM
    Ok, it allowed me to download the .jad file. Now I need to figure out what to do with it. Anyone out there know what I need to do/use to install this on my PB?
    01-03-12 09:29 PM
    So apparently, after some research, a .jad file should auto install, however, it didn't. Any help with this would be appreciated. I'm assuming I may need some sort of loader or possibly convert this and load it from the computer. I dunno. Again, if someone can help, it would be appreciated.
    01-03-12 09:36 PM
    Answer is no for the native browser, smartpants...
    Umm

Is there a 3rd party browser that will allow this? Is it an option in OS 2.0?
    Lol! Just saying, but I argued with your no because he asked if a third-party browser can do this (not specifically the native browser).

But yeah, I do agree. I think its dumb for any browser to have no control over user agents and such. But HaTaX's browser would do just fine for what he needed, and I don't see this going into the RIM stock browser. At least gets him a solution today..
    01-03-12 09:37 PM
    So apparently, after some research, a .jad file should auto install, however, it didn't. Any help with this would be appreciated. I'm assuming I may need some sort of loader or possibly convert this and load it from the computer. I dunno. Again, if someone can help, it would be appreciated.
    No worries, here is the root cause of the issue:

.JAR and .JAD is good for BlackBerry Phones only
    .BAR is good for BlackBerry PlayBook's only

You can install .JAR and .JAD files natively on your Phone, but they won't be recognized by the PlayBook.

If it helps, I have a lengthy post on Side-loading BAR files here. But you can't do much with a JAD I'm afraid.

~ed
    01-03-12 09:39 PM
    At least gets him a solution today..
    And it worked to download it, now I need to find a way to install it. Unfortunately I have to head to work. Damn this 3rd shift. The nice thing is I can play with my phone and tablet at work!
    01-03-12 09:41 PM
    And it worked to download it, now I need to find a way to install it. Unfortunately I have to head to work. Damn this 3rd shift. The nice thing is I can play with my phone and tablet at work!
    Unfortunately the JAR/JAD will be next to useless on the PB. You'll need to load those on your phone only. And look for BAR file equivalents (if they exist for it). Drove a lot of developers nuts because they have to redo their apps for the PB. Its probably what stopped it from having a massive app-store right at launch. Funny the are going for Android support but not JAD/JAR.
    01-03-12 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD