I have a huge memory leak. when I reboot I have 190.2mb free and it would fall to 150-162mb in like 5-7hrs. then the next day afer browsing for like 10-15mins it showed 120 then now it shows me 71.4mb what should I do?? on my Bold 9000 it wasn't this worse. and on my Bold 9650 it does not have memory leaks when I upgraded it to OS 6.

The Apps that I have installed are:
    Facebook 2.0.0.58
    Twitter for BlackBerry 2.1.0.28
    Shazam 2.8.1
    UberSocial 1.3
    DailyHoroscope 2.2.82
    Fancy Spped Test 1.3
    BBM Music 1.0.0.134
    RestartMe 2.0.9
    iSpeech Translator Pro 1.0.2
    Vlingo 4.11.4
    Wikitude 6.3.4
    CaptureIt 1.4
    BlackBerry Protect 1.1.1.50
    Yahoo Messenger 2.5.108
    BlackBerry Messenger 6.1.0.32

My daily habits on my BB is.
    When I wake up at 8:30am. I run social feeds. to check some new BlackBerry News
    then check my messages,emails,bbm and facebook and twitter. and after that when I'm free I always Browse the web using my Torch and listening to music and doing a lot of stuff while surfing.
    12-23-11 04:39 AM
    this device 9860 doesn't have problem of memory leak. Are you on latest OS .585? try this os and delete some applications which are memory hungry like wikitude, protect etc. why do you have ubersocial and bbtwitter both? I am on .585 and memory approx 160mb and it remains around 150 after 1-2 days usage but I use to reboot once in two days.
    12-23-11 04:53 AM
    I use ubersocial for longer tweets that's all. No I'm still on .296 stock Os.
    12-23-11 05:10 AM
    Not sure here, but I have seen Vlingo leak in the past.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-11 06:13 AM
    But I just installed vlingo recently
    12-23-11 06:22 AM
    Prithv, what are you talking about? My 9860 leaks memory like a sieve while a 9900 I have doesn't have the issue at all, and I've tried every single OS version to date. If anything, .585 is almost worse than some of the others. To the OP, it can be an app that's causing the leak, but I just think its a problem with the OS. There are lots of threads with people complaining about this problem, but as of yet, there's no clear solution. All we can really hope for is that OS 7.1 doesn't have this issue when it comes out.

12-23-11 07:27 AM
    I look into it and the browser is the highest consuming one.
    12-23-11 07:37 AM
    Memory Cleaner may help. It will clear the native BlackBerry Browser cache, along with several others. "Cleaning" these will help the memory and speed up the phone.
    12-23-11 07:39 AM
    Memory Cleaner doesn't help and can actually make it worse as your phone's performance ends up being chewed up by the memory cleaner actions. These apps feel off a misunderstanding of how the BlackBerry OS works. You think great, I'm cleaning my memory, but look back at what the memory cleaner on the device is actually used for. Its a security function that is used to clear sensitive device data for those BBs on secure networks. It is not turned on by default because it can negatively impact the device performance.

12-23-11 07:58 AM
    Takuma, your best bet is just to do a daily battery pull for the time being or use an app to reset your device every morning before you wake up.

That's one way to help.

12-23-11 08:00 AM
    I have that. Called RestartMe
    12-23-11 11:29 AM
    ... My 9860 leaks memory like a sieve while a 9900 I have doesn't have the issue at all, and I've tried every single OS version to date. If anything, .585 is almost worse than some of the others. To the OP, it can be an app that's causing the leak, but I just think its a problem with the OS.
    I have to disagree, if my 9850 is running the same - it's fine. I have little/no memory leak, except when I load a strange App (which is then quickly trashed). I think it's an App that you are using.
    12-23-11 12:03 PM
    Takuma, make sure you are closing Apps using the BB Menu button, some apps may look closed, but are still running in the background. also check and see how long you have facebook and other apps checking for updates. if they are constantly looking for updates, they will constantly eat memory.
    12-23-11 01:13 PM
    I have to disagree, if my 9850 is running the same - it's fine. I have little/no memory leak, except when I load a strange App (which is then quickly trashed). I think it's an App that you are using.
    Trust me, I'm not wrong. I've run the base OS with no additional apps and it still leaks. I've tried reinstalling the OS and the JVM and it still leaks. I've tested a lot of different things and it still leaks. Not everyone's 9850/60 leaks memory, but many do. And like I said, I have a Bold 9900 that I've tested the same configuration with and it didn't leak memory.

I also know someone with a 9850 who has an even bigger memory leak than I do and he's one of those people who is considered a BB Guru. Trust me, you guys aren't just talking to a basic BB user here. Maybe you should go through some of my previous posts here and on other forums to see just the extent of testing that I will go through to try to resolve issues. And just because you don't have a problem with something doesn't mean that others don't as well.

12-23-11 01:21 PM
    Trust me, I'm not wrong. I've run the base OS with no additional apps and it still leaks. I've tried reinstalling the OS and the JVM and it still leaks. I've tested a lot of different things and it still leaks. Not everyone's 9850/60 leaks memory, but many do. And like I said, I have a Bold 9900 that I've tested the same configuration with and it didn't leak memory.

I also know someone with a 9850 who has an even bigger memory leak than I do and he's one of those people who is considered a BB Guru. Trust me, you guys aren't just talking to a basic BB user here. Maybe you should go through some of my previous posts here and on other forums to see just the extent of testing that I will go through to try to resolve issues. And just because you don't have a problem with something doesn't mean that others don't as well.

Thank you. I also think it's the os. When I bought my 9860. I started the phone at the store and had the Telus rep doing a quick setup since I was moving from a CDMA network to a GSM (HSPA+) one. I checked the memory at the store which was around 190mb. When I got back home, about 40 mins later the memory was around 180mb. At the time I though this was a normal behavior.

To me it was always the OS that was leaking the most, not the apps. I'm not a programmer but a simple test can prove this. On a Saturday morning I did a battery pull to rebooot, then checked the memory and left the phone alone for a couple of hours. I can guarantee that my phone will have a huge memory leak (around 40mb)
    12-23-11 07:36 PM
    Guys update:
    I deleted all browser data. (history,cookies,cache,download list,push content) and rebooted. And looked at the free app memory and its 187.6mb then after 3hrs of browsing is sits still in 187.3mb
    12-24-11 07:50 AM
    You have probably got a bunch of them set to update automatically too often.

Check into that. Also check that BBProtect isnt backing up too frequently.
    12-24-11 08:31 AM
    I set Facebook to update every 6hrs. Twitter on 3hrs ubersocial on 30mins and social feeds when I open the app. And the BB protect is set to weekly backup
    12-24-11 08:43 AM
    Another update guys.
    After 24hrs after my last reboot, it didn't leaked at all. So the culprit is the the browser data.

Thanks for the help guys! And merry christmas!
    drice01 likes this.
    12-25-11 06:30 AM
    Another update guys.
    After 24hrs after my last reboot, it didn't leaked at all. So the culprit is the the browser data.

Thanks for the help guys! And merry christmas!

I've done all of this and still have drastic leaks daily. The only solution I've found is to do a battery pull every day.
    01-04-12 06:07 PM
    Why not delete all of your apps. And download them one by one again. Then see what causes the memory leak. Or check application management-usage-memory
    01-04-12 08:11 PM
    I'd found a couple of the weather apps were a drain (on the weather channel now. no problem and the only one I found that has a decent narative description). i agree with frank that some of the apps update settings will kill your memory
    01-05-12 03:39 AM
    I just got a replacement device (bum tracpad)

I loaded up 7.1 and turned on the wifi.
    I won't load any apps to it that aren't native.
    I activated my support email so it will get notifications.

Will let it sit for a couple days and will report back and let you know if it leaks on its own.

Personally I think its an addiction to checking your available memory...I removed Meterberry from my 9850...one, because the app itself is constantly running in the background and could be the culprit...and two, I don't have any lag or slowdown issues...why would I need to look?
    01-05-12 05:49 AM
    I seriously doubt its Meterberry, I'm running that with very minimal memory loss. Good Luck though, an app is your likely cause.
    01-05-12 08:21 AM
    TTBGF, what happens after 24 hours though? My phone is happy for the first 24 hours unless I've been using specific apps that I know cause a memory leak. Its what happens after 24 hours that's the problem. And that has been related to OS apps.
    01-05-12 09:45 AM
111 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD