I am interested in knowing what faults you noticed with your handset out of the box?

That would be aesthetic, functional, systematic, subjective, etc...

As far as my handset goes, which I received on 19/12/11, there were two minor aesthetic faults that bothered me:

1. I found a thin surface scratch/blemish to the peripheral metal rim of the phone located right above the Mini-USB port. It spans vertically from the top edge of the port to the upper face of the rim. Mind you this is straight out of a sealed box.

2. The 'Send' key, as part of the now unified section of main keys, is not flush with the face of the screen. The 'End/Power' key sits basically flush and as you move to the left, there is a gradual drop off with the 'Send' key being by far the most prominently off. We are talking <0.3mm. The button however operates correctly although I do notice a slight variation in clicking pressure and sound.

Some of you may be thinking, 'Dude, relax...' but for someone like me who is rather particular and hypercritical of the state of a new mechanical and/or electrical system just purchased, it hits a nerve.

Otherwise, the phone is functionally and systematically sound which is indeed the most important aspect.

Did any of you notice any such imperfections or do I have one of few handsets that have such aesthetic imperfections?

I apologize in advance if this thread causes you to realize any faults with the phone that you were very happy not to notice before...
    Last edited by FS.9900; 12-23-11 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Slight modification to thread subject.
    12-22-11 03:12 PM
    Absolutely none!
    12-22-11 03:29 PM
    The main button in the middle creaks when pressed and has a very loud click to it

Headphones crackle when moving the wire
    12-22-11 03:40 PM
    I should note that I am still very happy and pleased with this device and these 'faults' in no way diminish from the overall experience with the Bold 9900.

If anything, these aspects give my device its unique character.
    12-22-11 04:29 PM
    Well... my first BB 9900 was perfect, but the trackpad wasn't working well... the second was good but after 3 days it appeared a line on the screen that didn't disappear, now I'm on my third BB 9900... it's okey... the buttons around the trackpad make a noisy sound... the metal frame has some spaces that are sunken... and in the back the black frame has two sunk on each side.

I just got tired of the hit or miss game :| imma stay with this blackberry and then exchange its housing... untill I get an upgrade on next december...

Has someone one of these physical faults on their brand new devices?.

Thanks, Chris.
    12-22-11 05:27 PM
    bad battery...
    RIM/ we all should learn from our mistakes..
    12-22-11 05:53 PM
    My spacebar doesn't work consistently...it started yesterday and this BB is only a few weeks old that was a replacement for another BB I had. Very frustrating to the point where I am about to switch and get a iPhone.... Something I though I would never do

BB's seem to have very serious construction flaws and when I'm paying over 200 dollars for a "premium" phone I expect quality.
    12-22-11 07:11 PM
    Mine is perfect. Hardware is outstanding, no blemishes. Running 7.1, off charger at 4:00am, back home after 13.5 hour day, still have 81% remaining. Great phone.
    12-22-11 07:21 PM
    Mine is perfect. Hardware is outstanding, no blemishes. Running 7.1, off charger at 4:00am, back home after 13.5 hour day, still have 81% remaining. Great phone.
    Do you always keep your 9900 ideal or use it for sometime?
    !!!! Just��Curious !!!!
    12-22-11 07:25 PM
    my bb keypad has a sound when press. Its annoying. The most louder sound come from key (RTYUFGHJ). When I press on these keys. Its sound ktak ktak ktak. With my bold 9780. No sound at all.
    12-22-11 07:55 PM
    My trackpad makes a little noise (heard it for the first time today), but I think only those with really good ears could hear it.
    gidds likes this.
    12-22-11 08:00 PM
    first 9900 had two stuck pixels, and one would just seem to stare at me when in the music player bc it was against a black background.

second 9900 is flawless. when i got it the R key was a little tougher to press but it's perfect now that it's loosened up.
    12-22-11 08:03 PM
    The 'y' and 'c' buttons on the keypad sometimes make a slightly unusual 'snap' when I release them after compression... Almost as if they stick for a millisecond.

Given that software and hardware issues have been covered in and out on this forum and some are wondering why I am asking such questions again... Let us modify the topic to only aesthetic faults you may notice.

The reason I am interested in knowing about such things, is to know wether the 'minor' issues others and I are listing are somewhat commonplace due to a drop-off in RIM quality/cost management with the 9900, or simply that some of us received handsets that happen to have some aesthetic flaws which, aside from making myself feel better by imagining that they give the phone character, maybe these flaws will magically keep away more critical internal problems...
    12-23-11 01:28 PM
    That's without switching it on, I guess.
    12-23-11 01:40 PM
    Mine has been faultless.
    12-23-11 01:41 PM
    My device has no flaws to my knowledge.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-23-11 02:08 PM
    nine at all.mine is perfect.
    12-23-11 02:08 PM
    i had mine exchanged 3 times. horrendous qc
    12-23-11 02:16 PM
    i don't have that many problems, just two. my trackpad sometimes seem to move by itself a little to the left. Maybe it's a hover issue, doesn't bother me too much. Another is that my trackpad is a little squeaky.

Other that these two, everything is fine.
    12-23-11 02:17 PM
    My keyboard and all buttons have stopped working. The same thing happened yesterday but it began to work again on its own after about 30mins. It has now been over an hour and i have had no luck unlocking my phone. The touchscreen works fine, so Im able to click unlock but cannot type my password in. The mute button and volume bottuns do not seem to work aswell. I have an unlocked rogers 9900 running on Fido. Ive tried connecting it to my mac and it did an os update on its own but still the keyboard doesn't work. I have had this phone for 2 weeks and have not damaged it. (physical, water etc.)

I'm very frustrated and confused about how to solve this.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance
    12-23-11 05:23 PM
    Mine has been faultless.
    Ditto (ignoring the battery issue).
    12-23-11 05:48 PM
    Overall the phone is awesome. I do wish the menu buttons were separate (similar to 9700 or even 9790); not a fan of the single plastic piece across entire phone. Although the battery is decent, I would sacrifice a millimeter or two of extra thickness for a 1700 mAh battery (and autofocus camera). Other than that, it's a nearly perfect device (for me), from a hardware standpoint.
    12-23-11 05:54 PM
    am i the only person that thinks the reason at&t took so long to get the 9900 was because they told rim "we'll only take the refurbed 99xx"??? we got the cheap box, no leather pouch, and compared to my friend's 9930, my bold feels like a curve. i still love this phone,but ive become a conspiracy theorist against at&t
    12-23-11 10:06 PM
    Mine is faultless except for a minor blemish. The trackpad is a little bit off center..just a little bit though
    12-23-11 11:36 PM
    I am interested in knowing what faults you noticed with your handset out of the box?

That would be aesthetic, functional, systematic, subjective, etc...

As far as my handset goes, which I received on 19/12/11, there were two minor aesthetic faults that bothered me:

1. I found a thin surface scratch/blemish to the peripheral metal rim of the phone located right above the Mini-USB port. It spans vertically from the top edge of the port to the upper face of the rim. Mind you this is straight out of a sealed box.

2. The 'Send' key, as part of the now unified section of main keys, is not flush with the face of the screen. The 'End/Power' key sits basically flush and as you move to the left, there is a gradual drop off with the 'Send' key being by far the most prominently off. We are talking <0.3mm. The button however operates correctly although I do notice a slight variation in clicking pressure and sound.

Some of you may be thinking, 'Dude, relax...' but for someone like me who is rather particular and hypercritical of the state of a new mechanical and/or electrical system just purchased, it hits a nerve.

Otherwise, the phone is functionally and systematically sound which is indeed the most important aspect.

Did any of you notice any such imperfections or do I have one of few handsets that have such aesthetic imperfections?

I apologize in advance if this thread causes you to realize any faults with the phone that you were very happy not to notice before...
    I'm on my 3rd BB 9900. My first one was FLAWLESS cosmetically but it bricked I went back to T-Mobile to get another one, and right out of the box I noticed two problems... First the "back" button was raised higher than the "call, menu, and end call" buttons, and also the piece that surrounds the track pad was raised OR either the trackpad was somewhat lower than usual... Very annoying:/ took the phone back for those very reasons... My 3rd 9900 is better, the aluminum piece goes all the way around the phone was a little rough on the bottom left corner. It seemed to be a bit higher right at the corner. But from extended use it smoothed out so now my BB is now flawless I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    12-24-11 11:51 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD