Got into town yesterday for the holidays and was sitting here talking to the girlfriend yesterday and we were comparing her 9800 to my 9810, then got to talking about the PB's. Well little did I know she had went out last week and picked one up, brought it home, and was learning about it. She set it down to do a chore or something and her beagle (Larry) wanted to check it out too. So he grabs it and begins tasting it. Well, he chewed up the corners and has broken the screen in both top corners. Now dont freak out, he is NOT currently sitting at the rescue animal shelter looking for a new home. He's an excellent dog and was forgiven with no consequences. Ok, so he didnt get his usual snausage that afternoon for dessert. I felt really bad for her, but she then went back to the bedroom and came out with another brand new one in perfect shape. She asked if I wanted the "Larry" model. I begrudgingly refused trying to think of a way for her to either sell it to recoup some of the lost money, or find a way to repair it for her. She obviously couldn't return it for a replacement. She (being the stubborn lovely blonde she is) insisted that I just keep it for my own and either try and get the screen replaced, or just deal with it and see how long it lasts. She was worried moisture might get under the screen and ruin it. I'm thinking I could find some good clear epoxy and just lay a nice even layer over the affected edges and everything will be ok. I'm not worried about the cosmetic aspect of it, and it still functions perfectly. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Last edited by Tom9810; 12-21-11 at 09:36 AM.
    12-21-11 09:33 AM
    I like the epoxy idea as long as its non-conductive and thin enough to lay in there before hardening. It would probably make screen replacement in the future impossible though. Maybe a good screen protector?
    12-21-11 10:08 AM
    There's a thread from last week about a guy who replaced the screen. But I don't recall if there was a final report on whether it worked or not. The last phase, the screen is apparently glued/double-sided taped to a metal frame.

Does swiping from the upper left work - to bring up the notifications info?

A screen protector and keep it out of the elements (oh, and out of dogs jaws!).

Here's the INCONCLUSIVE thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...95/index3.html
    Last edited by F2; 12-21-11 at 10:58 AM.
    12-21-11 10:54 AM
    Yeah, everything works perfectly. Just going to do the epoxy, and get a good case and screen cover for it and see what happens. Really like it so far, and absolutely love her.
    12-21-11 11:50 AM
    The repair kits for car windshields look cheap enough ($12-$13) to give it a try.

Windshield Repair | AutoZone.com
    12-21-11 12:40 PM
    Why not call RIM and get it fixed??
    12-21-11 12:48 PM
    Why not call RIM and get it fixed??
    I'm guessing $$$ has something to do with it...
    12-21-11 01:54 PM
    I'm guessing $$$ has something to do with it...
    iPhone Repair - iPod Service - MacBook Screen Repair - iPad Repair - HTC Repair $169.00 for complete glass and digitizer replacement with a lifetime warranty you won't see anywhere else...if you break your PB after a repair done by Mission, they will charge you $20.00 to repair it again.
    Hgouck and Harryl6134 like this.
    12-21-11 02:01 PM
    and that's why I don't want pets
    12-22-11 12:30 PM
    This repair option will replace the glass screen on the front of your iPhone if it is cracked, smashed, broken, chipped or scratched. It will also fix problems with the touch sensitivity or calibration. The front glass screen and digitizer are assembled as one unit, and so will be replaced together..
    05-23-12 11:53 PM
    That's probably the best option for you OP, but you can order just the digitizer alone or the digitizer and frame already assembled. The problem with getting a digitizer alone is that your original digitizer is bonded to the frame and has to be removed, and quite a pain it is. I just ordered a digitizer myself.
    05-24-12 12:12 AM
    Just an update. I thought this thread had died. I just bought a kit of two part epoxy and laid a small amount on the cracked and broken corner areas and let it harden overnight. PB is still going strong. No issues at all with it. I did buy a case for it and the leather corners of the case cover the two cracked areas perfectly. Now I can buy the girlfriend a nice bouquet of flowers instead of having to spend it on a new screen. Thanks everyone.
    05-26-12 06:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD