Blackberry Playbook relies on Wi-Fi connection to setup and work. I know that it can of course work with a Blackberry Phone using the Bridge. However, setting up the Playbook the first time it will need a Wi-Fi connection.

If you live in an apartment or a condo, you might have Wi-Fi issues that you might not be aware of. My Wi-Fi was quite good when I first set it up but the signal was getting weaker and weaker. I was losing my signal as I move just a little away from my access point. I thought that I might need to replace my “G” router to a newer one. I was looking into other solutions like adding a booster or adding a repeater.

I solved my problem without getting any new hardware and I would like to share with the folks here.

Normally, I can see 8-10 Wi-Fi networks on my PC/Cell phone. During the initial setting up of the Playbook, one would see a few networks unless one lives in a house with enough distance to the neighbors.

The problem is that most Wireless Routers of the same make would have a same default channel. Some Wireless Routers from different makes might even have the same default channel. Most folks never bother to change the channel when setting up their Wi-Fi router. The result is that there could be quite a few Wi-Fi routers are using the same channel in a same area. This is why everyone is having interference issue. If one of them decided to add a booster in his/her Wi-Fi network, everyone else’s signal is getting weaker and weaker.

The solution is easy. Just change your Wi-Fi channel to one that has less people or no one is using. Then your Wi-Fi signal would have no interference and you would notice that your W-Fi signal and range is increased.

This is what you need to do. Download a program call insider. Download inSSIDer and Discover the Wi-Fi Networks Around You | MetaGeek
    This program allows you to see who is on what channel (including yours). I found out that I was sharing the same channel with 5 others. No wonder, my Wi-Fi was so weak, when I take my PC or cell phone just a little away. I reset my Wi-Fi router to a channel that no one is using and now my Wi-Fi signal is STRONG.

Some Router comes with a program that allows you to reset the Router channel. If you have that just change the channel. If you do not know or cannot locate that program, you just need to know your IP address. There are many ways to check your IP. If you do not have the program but have a Windows 7 PC, just follow the steps below.
    Search CMD
    Type ipconfig /all
    The default gateway is your IP address.

If you are really lazy, try this on your browser What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more...

Write down the IP address
    Open a browser and type http://000.000.000.000 (Replace the 000 with Your IP address)
    You should be able to bring up the router access.
    You are on your own to log in and access your router settings as I would have no idea what you type of wireless router you have and what is your Password (or if you have a pw on your router access)?

Hope this would fix your weak Wi-Fi signal if it is caused by interference of too many Wi-Fi networks fighting on the same channel.
    Last edited by EWY; 12-19-11 at 05:32 PM.
    12-19-11 12:27 AM
    Thanks for this! Will have to do some scanning when I get home to figure out the least trafficked channel.
    12-19-11 09:56 AM
    BlackBerry phones have network tools built-in that will tell you all sorts of details about nearby WiFi networks, just so you know. No need to download anything if you have a BlackBerry phone.
    12-19-11 10:08 AM
    BlackBerry phones have network tools built-in that will tell you all sorts of details about nearby WiFi networks, just so you know. No need to download anything if you have a BlackBerry phone.
    Thanks for letting me know. May be I should get a Blackberry phone to pair it up with the Playbook. I bricked my Playebook and is currently waiting for my replacement. I am sitting on the fence wondering if I should get a Blackberry now or wait for the new Blackberry phones, like the London or the Milan.

That program call "insider" is quite nice and shows all the Channels in graphics. It makes it easy to understand what is going on. Just thought I share this.
    Last edited by EWY; 12-19-11 at 10:24 AM.
    12-19-11 10:21 AM
    As far as waiting for a new BlackBerry, only you can figure out if you should wait or not. The new devices won't be out until later in 2012, according to RIM. Considering RIM's track record and carrier testing, they might not even be out until early 2013. Therefore, if you are interested in a new BlackBerry, then perhaps you should go check one out now. I recommend the 9900/9930 if you like that style (fixed keyboard versus keyboard slider or all touch).
    12-19-11 10:59 AM
    As far as waiting for a new BlackBerry, only you can figure out if you should wait or not. The new devices won't be out until later in 2012, according to RIM. Considering RIM's track record and carrier testing, they might not even be out until early 2013. Therefore, if you are interested in a new BlackBerry, then perhaps you should go check one out now. I recommend the 9900/9930 if you like that style (fixed keyboard versus keyboard slider or all touch).
    I currently have a Samsung Infuse. One of my family members upgraded a few months back and considers the phone is too big. So I replaced my 2 year old Tilt2 with it. This is my first Android phone and I like the features but I still missed the key board. My first smart phone was a Palm Treo. I love that phone as it has both touch screen and a decent keyboard. Blackberry phones never did have touch screen until recently. My son has a BB9800 and he likes it because of the keyboard. However he wishes that the Blackberry would have more apps.

I played with his 9800 and it seems to be well built. The keyboard is a bit small but I can deal with it. I was thinking of getting a 9810. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan from AT&T. I use about 2 GB of data a month. I was so pissed that I got an email and a text from AT&T warning me about data usage 2 days till my billing cycle. I was told that I am in the top 5% of people that use data. I have never gone over 3 GB. I was told to use more Wi-Fi or I am going to get throttled. I was so pissed off; I almost dropped my service with AT&T. I have heard of folks that got this warning when they go over 10 GB. I get this warning when I went over 2GB.

Since I really have not had a chance to use the Playbook (I bricked mine within 24 hours). I have no idea how much data I would be using when I paired it with my phone. If I get a throttled, I probably will go to T-Mobil and sign up for their 5GB plan and pick up a phone. Just have not made up my mind to get a Samsung Galaxy 2 or the 9810.
    12-19-11 12:02 PM
    BlackBerries use far less bandwidth than any other phone, so unless you try really, really hard, you won't have a data usage issue with a BlackBerry. As far as the keyboard goes, look at the 9900. Its keyboard is worlds better than the 9810 keyboard, and the 9810 keyboard isn't bad. Plus, the 9900 has a touch screen, so it is similar to the old Treo you used to have.

As far as apps go, you definitely need to make sure what you want is available. BlackBerries have never been known for outstanding third-party support. For me, I gave up quite a bit moving from the iPhone to the 9930 in terms of apps, but what I gained more than made up for it.
    Last edited by ifarlow; 12-19-11 at 12:13 PM.
    12-19-11 12:10 PM
    BlackBerries use far less bandwidth than any other phone, so unless you try really, really hard, you won't have a data usage issue with a BlackBerry. As far as the keyboard goes, look at the 9900. Its keyboard is worlds better than the 9810 keyboard, and the 9810 keyboard isn't bad. Plus, the 9900 has a touch screen, so it is similar to the old Treo you used to have.

As far as apps go, you definitely need to make sure what you want is available. BlackBerries have never been known for outstanding third-party support. For me, I gave up quite a bit moving from the iPhone to the 9930 in terms of apps, but what I gained more than made up for it.
    Thanks! Looks like I need to go visit one of the stores and try out the 9900. I do like the bigger display that the 9810 offers though.

Blackberries uses less bandwidth is may be that they have less apps running on the devices? I use my Infuse as a Wi-Fi Hot-spot from time to time when I have no Wi-Fi connection.
    12-19-11 12:31 PM

Since I really have not had a chance to use the Playbook (I bricked mine within 24 hours). I have no idea how much data I would be using when I paired it with my phone. If I get a throttled, I probably will go to T-Mobil and sign up for their 5GB plan and pick up a phone. Just have not made up my mind to get a Samsung Galaxy 2 or the 9810.
    T-Mobile also throttles users who exceed 5GB.

The only major US carrier with unlimited/unthrottled data is Sprint. However, you would have to check to see how good their coverage is. However, Sprint's 3G is slower than AT&T's 3G. Sprint also has WiMax, but there are no WiMax BlackBerries.
    12-19-11 12:42 PM
    Blackberries uses less bandwidth is may be that they have less apps running on the devices? I use my Infuse as a Wi-Fi Hot-spot from time to time when I have no Wi-Fi connection.
    No. BlackBerry data flows through RIM's NOCs (Network Operation Centers), and RIM applies compression and other tricks to keep data flow slim and fast. It has nothing in particular to do with what apps are on the phones or not, although it is certainly possible to find a particular app that uses more data than most others.

The latest OS for the 9900/9930 enables WiFi hotspot, just so you know. It's doubtful that the devices in the store have the latest OS applied, although stranger things have happened.

By the way... just a friendly note regarding forum use: there is no need to quote a post that you reply to unless you need to point out something specific about that post (and you should only quote the part you are pointing out) or your response is not directly below the post you are responding to.
    12-19-11 12:44 PM
    Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by EWY; 12-19-11 at 09:16 PM.
    12-19-11 12:50 PM
    I use Wifi scan on my ANDROID phone for this, can't believe there's nothing close on blackeberry... is this a OS limitation or what??

there's almost no network utility... no samba, no ctfs, no wifi... so I use my playbook for browsing and reading...
    12-19-11 08:40 PM
    Just wanted to add that although there are 11 channels �available� (in most cases); you should only use 1, 6 or 11, as these will not interfere with each other (if you're in the US).
    12-19-11 11:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD