as members come on here and express their frustrations and dissatisfactions about RIM. They get bashed by some die hard fanboys. Well my question is simple, What would it take for you to completely give up on RIM and move on? (if you haven't already)

My answer is if OS 2.0 doesn't come out for the playbook by Feb. than I'll be done with the playbook. since bbx (BB) has been postponed til late 2012 I'm done with their phones. The only way I'll go back to being a fanboy again is if OS 2.0 comes out Feb for the playbook and its as good as the expectations, than i'll wait for late 2012 for the phones.
    12-17-11 12:49 PM
    I'm not a die-hard technophile, so I'll wait until a device is broken or otherwise useless before I upgrade. If RIM stops upgrading the Playbook...if apps stop working because of obsolescence...at that point I'll move to something else. This isn't brand loyalty...it's just sticking with the familiar, as long as it works.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to like the BB10 phones what with a new learning curve and possible teething pains in a new device. I'll give them a look, but I may be looking at other platforms too. I figure they have until 2013, when my current 3-year contract is nearing its end.
    ralfyguy and Zirak like this.
    12-17-11 12:58 PM
    see signature below.
    12-17-11 12:58 PM
    A missed Feb. Playbook update and QNX becoming completely unsupported by developers would make me jump ship. Its not looking good, wish they would just adopt a current successful OS and stop trying to make QNX work when its failing.
    12-17-11 01:04 PM
    see signature below.
    Ditto. See signature below...

But I am hoping that RIM does not fall as far as you seem to think it will. I kind of like my BB/PlayBook combo and even if RIM sank to the utter bottom, I would still use 'em until they broke. And I would continue to write apps for them, for my own use and for other like-minded die hards. But I am confident that it will never get to that point.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 12-17-11 at 01:10 PM.
    12-17-11 01:07 PM
    I think I have already. Time will tell. I am definitely not a loyal customer, although still a customer. If the playbook 2 or next gen phones are something incredible I may stick with them. If windows 8 phones and tablets are great, I'll maybe make a switch. Also, Sony seems to have a good leaning towards mobile devices and while I have reason to dislike Sony, I'm willing to give their mobile devices a try. Its all about the next thing that appeals to me. And RIM is not appealing because when I look at their devices, in the back of my head I know there will be delays and you cannot trust that functionality will be there. Still hard to believe that this late into the game there is no auto-suggest and auto-correct. My pocket pc from 10 years ago had this functionality.
    12-17-11 01:10 PM
    The PB is at home, awaiting the infamous upgrade while I am travelling with a new (NOS) Viewpad 7. IF- the upgrade doesn't give a decent functionality, as in keyboard or spelcheck or an office suite it will forever stay home. IF- it doesn't stop crashing at home while trying to stream online video RIM will no longer get my business other than phone purchases. and IF- Windows 8 powers a decent tablet with a similar form factor as the PB, its in the bag.
    As of present the android 2.2.2 sans flash on the VP is doing an almost satisfactory job and offers more functionability for my purposes than the PB. It won't take much to sway me.
    12-17-11 01:17 PM
    Blackberry products do just about everything I need them to do. Short of stopping manufacture and updates I will keep using their products. I guess it would take an act of GOD for me to leave
    maddie1128 likes this.
    12-17-11 01:20 PM
    Before I bought my blackberry, I did a lot of research and found I did not want the other brands, as security is important to me.
    I like the Blackberry phones and the Playbook. I enjoy them every day, and they are always by my side. The bridging to my PB from my BB phone will keep my important data off the tablet. I can access my emails and contacts, along with BBM, through Bridge.

As for any OS update, it will just be icing on the cake, and I will enjoy my PB and BB daily the way it is now.

I prefer to stay with Blackberry until no support for the product is available and the phone carriers will no longer allow a Blackberry on their platform.
    12-17-11 01:21 PM
    i hope not as well. but i think its best for everyone in rim-fan-land to close their eyes for like half a year atleast and hope for the best. maybe by then rim wont be hear anymore but we wont have to bear the pain of seeing it slowly go down
    12-17-11 01:23 PM
    I think that if the bb10 phones are not wildly successful, enough to compete with iPhone or Andriod I think that by 2014 blackberry will just be a memory in North America, but in Europe and in South America BB and RIM still have a lot of time.
    12-17-11 01:24 PM
    I've been around a long time. I've been using computers for longer than some of you have been on earth. I have seen companies rise and fall and come back again. I've observed a whole bunch of people love to hate those who have had huge success and I've watched while a whole bunch of people have taken obscene delight in kicking those who were temporarily down. Neither of those characteristics is pretty and serves to underscore the small mindedness of the participants.

I came onto this site to learn about my BB and my Playbook. What I have found is a group of people who seem to take an unhealthy interest in belittling Rim and the people who just want to explore and enjoy their devices!

Fortunately there are also a large group of enthusiasts who are willing to help others learn and explore their devices.

To those who are here to muddy the waters I suggest you find one of those time wasting games you probably love and try to best your last score. Frankly I find you unpleasant to have around on this forum and it would be nice if you found something constructive to do.
    12-17-11 01:27 PM
    OS2 has to come out on time, stable and complete for me to even contemplate buying another RIM product. Not that it matters, because if it takes more than a year to write native email for QNX when they had the hardware right in their hands, then the company is doomed.
    gknix likes this.
    12-17-11 01:27 PM
    I didn't give up on RIM. Not in the true sense. I switched to iPhone for a few reasons.

- My husband has one and we can iMessage each other.

-The app selection is far superior and the apps themselves are better quality.

- The upgraded camera in the 4S was a huge plus for me, I love taking pictures. And the huge selection of photography apps was also important.

- I found myself drawn to the iPhone 4. A few people at work have them and I'd always try to play with them, ooh and ah over the beautiful retina display. I was jealous! When I heard the new iPhone was coming out soon, I was excited.

So those are just a few reasons. However, I'm pretty involved in the Apple ecosystem now, so the chances of me coming back to BlackBerry are slim.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    Caymancroc likes this.
    12-17-11 01:28 PM
    I've been around a long time. I've been using computers for longer than some of you have been on earth. I have seen companies rise and fall and come back again. I've observed a whole bunch of people love to hate those who have had huge success and I've watched while a whole bunch of people have taken obscene delight in kicking those who were temporarily down. Neither of those characteristics is pretty and serves to underscore the small mindedness of the participants.

I came onto this site to learn about my BB and my Playbook. What I have found is a group of people who seem to take an unhealthy interest in belittling Rim and the people who just want to explore and enjoy their devices!

Fortunately there are also a large group of enthusiasts who are willing to help others learn and explore their devices.

To those who are here to muddy the waters I suggest you find one of those time wasting games you probably love and try to best your last score. Frankly I find you unpleasant to have around on this forum and it would be nice if you found something constructive to do.
    I'm speechless....my alter ego. Outstanding!
    hpjrt likes this.
    12-17-11 01:32 PM
    Glad you're so happy with you iPhone - but why are you here if you have jumped ship. You won't learn a great deal about your brand new shiny iPhone on the BB Playbook forum dear.
    I like to keep up with BlackBerry. And I have many friends who are also members of this forum.

You don't have to call me "dear". I realize you've "been using computers longer than I've been alive", but I have every right to be here.

I don't pay attention to which sub-forum section I'm in. If the thread looks interesting, I'll post in it.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-17-11 01:53 PM
    Bankruptcy for one. Dropping Playbook and support for another. And missing another OS update. That about covers it for me!
    12-17-11 01:56 PM
    I'm not as pessimistic as a lot of people are around here. I have the device that works best for me - the BB 9810. I also own a PB using the latest os2 beta. I have tried android and it felt unpolished. I have owned an iphone in the past. I won't knock those that use other platforms but am staying with BB until they stop making devices or I find something better.
    MXBerry likes this.
    12-17-11 02:04 PM
    Onto the second page and already a train wreck. Closed!
    12-17-11 02:25 PM
    Re-opening after cleaning. Members are reminded: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...forums-655452/
    12-17-11 04:19 PM
    Have already moved on phone wise, and am HOPING that the PB gets a major shot in the *** come February. Otherwise, it'll go up for sale and I'll stick with the iPad or The Flyer I have....not a hater, just had enough... If and BIG IF BB10 comes about and there is robust developement and the phones are relevant, I will come running back...don't want to see them fail, but not goin to stick with something that no longer works for ME
    12-17-11 04:27 PM
    I'm not a die-hard technophile, so I'll wait until a device is broken or otherwise useless before I upgrade. If RIM stops upgrading the Playbook...if apps stop working because of obsolescence...at that point I'll move to something else. This isn't brand loyalty...it's just sticking with the familiar, as long as it works.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to like the BB10 phones what with a new learning curve and possible teething pains in a new device. I'll give them a look, but I may be looking at other platforms too. I figure they have until 2013, when my current 3-year contract is nearing its end.
    I'm with DaveTheA. Not so much on familiar part as they are what I like.

Edit: It's beyond me why everything bad about RIM or questions about them are started in the playbook section? The playbook isn't the only thing they make. More appropriate in the general section and other RIM is dead and dying should be in news or rumors or somewhere else.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-17-11 at 04:36 PM. Reason: add about forum section
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    12-17-11 04:34 PM
    I will have given up on Research In Motion come midnight of 01 January 2012. The consumer marketplace obviously baffles this organization therefore return to their core competency which is secure email communication.
    12-17-11 04:34 PM

Well said (written), Thank-You for your insight
    12-17-11 04:44 PM
    someone would have to make a legitimate option. That is to say... someone would have to make phones and tablets just as secure as RIM makes now.

Until that happens... I will be with RIM.
    suzicat likes this.
    12-17-11 04:44 PM
111 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD