I snorted slash giggled when reading this article. You'd have to be quite messed up in the head to think that WP7 (Anyone remember how Windows 6.5 failed?) is an OS that anyone should adopt.

Mainly when there's a massive list of features missing, even from Mango. I cant take CNN serious after reading this article. The minute they said WP7, I closed the tab in my browser.
    12-17-11 02:06 AM
    RIM`s Q3 sales were more than the whole of the first year of WP7 (Q3 2010 to Q3 2011) sales.

says it all
    12-17-11 02:18 AM
    CNN should adopt MSNBC
    theonecid and Lead_Express like this.
    12-17-11 02:41 AM
    Well considering that RIM MAY go under , they can't adopt iOS because its only for apple, and it is not good to adopt andriod, andriod has better manufacturers like samsung and the andriod OEM race is crowded already so the only reasonable OS left is WP7 , WP7 from Q4 is starting to grow, fastest selling phone in netherland's biggest carrier and outselling iphone 4S in france,
    12-17-11 03:06 AM
    Odd since as bad as RIM has taken it from the press Microsoft theoretically is doing relatively worse with WP7. Considering... All the resources, branding, tie ins, advertising, etc, and yet WP has piddly marketshare, lower than BlackBerry. In some places much much lower. Even more odd is that the interface is widely lauded yet no one's buying. Carriers are doing WP a dis service as well.

If worse came to worse and RIM could not use QNX, I would prefer they use Android over WP. But that's all just fantasy since now it is QNX or die. No turning back.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by southlander; 12-17-11 at 03:47 AM.
    mud314 likes this.
    12-17-11 03:45 AM
    Well considering that RIM MAY go under , they can't adopt iOS because its only for apple, and it is not good to adopt andriod, andriod has better manufacturers like samsung and the andriod OEM race is crowded already so the only reasonable OS left is WP7 , WP7 from Q4 is starting to grow, fastest selling phone in netherland's biggest carrier and outselling iphone 4S in france,
    the reality is to make a phone takes 18-24 months, so unless you think waiting another year and a half for a wp7 BB is somehow a good idea (because like OS7 will be ok for then right?) it just shows how wrong journo`s get it sometimes.

and no, they wouldnt be able to use an existing BB10 prototype due to the hardware requirements of WP7. so a large redesign at best would be needed, which would mean (even optimistically) a year inculding carrier certification. for example it took nokia best part of a year to adapt their N9 device and sort the hardware/OS integration, so even if RIM was just as fast, how would that be any faster than BB10
    12-17-11 03:46 AM
    I think RIM has come far enough wih QNX to just simply give up and move to WP7.

However, if Microsoft bought RIM...
    12-17-11 04:16 AM
    I still prefer BBOS over any other OS out there. BBOS 7 devices with their faster processors have not only brought the internet browser up to speed, but has made the whole navigating experience snappier too. WP 7.5 "Mango" might just bring Windows Phone to where it can be a work phone, but I have yet seen it in public, much less talked to anyone using it in a work environment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-11 06:24 AM
    No matter what anyone says i still feel that we need the marketing to bring BBs back up and running. We need to show North America what makes BBs better then the competition and why they should buy them. I say N.A. because we all know that BBs kick serious **** in the rest of the world right now LOL. Its just this one market that we need to prove ourselves again in.
    12-17-11 06:53 AM
    BB10 should be able to run WP7 dual OS like the PB and Android

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    12-17-11 07:02 AM
    I think RIM has come far enough wih QNX to just simply give up and move to WP7.

However, if Microsoft bought RIM...
    If QNX cannot be used for smartphones that points squarely at the ineptitude of the development team and they should be executed by a "kill -9." As for Microsoft buying Research In Motion the first thing to go would be security, the second thing to go would be current BlackBerry users.
    12-17-11 08:45 AM
    the reality is to make a phone takes 18-24 months, so unless you think waiting another year and a half for a wp7 BB is somehow a good idea (because like OS7 will be ok for then right?) it just shows how wrong journo`s get it sometimes.

and no, they wouldnt be able to use an existing BB10 prototype due to the hardware requirements of WP7. so a large redesign at best would be needed, which would mean (even optimistically) a year inculding carrier certification. for example it took nokia best part of a year to adapt their N9 device and sort the hardware/OS integration, so even if RIM was just as fast, how would that be any faster than BB10
    my thoughts exactly.
    Those guys gonna think before they write.
    12-17-11 09:23 AM
    I'd like to see how much Microsoft is paying all these news outlets and analysts to say that WP7 will be awesome, will dominate the world, etc. Fact is it isn't and iOS and Android have a huge lead. RIM is in a much better position to maintain and regain customers with QNX than Microsoft is to try and get customers with WP7. Anyways RIM is in too deep with QNX now to back out. They need to either execute or die!
    12-17-11 10:45 AM
    CNN is a joke if they think that WP7 is better than BB whether their legacy or their upcoming child, WP7 is lame. Aren't they worst off in the US and Global Markets than any other phone OS?
    pm9350 likes this.
    12-17-11 10:48 AM
    RIM should have bought WebOS.

Developing something from scratch appears to much for them...
    12-17-11 10:54 AM
    That actually would be a great idea and probably would be the only salvation for RIM. As great as QNX is, it is a failed unsupported platform that has little to no chance of catching on in the North American market. However running a rising and more supported OS may put Blackberries in the hands of more consumers and save the Blackberry brand. Its time to admit the QNX will never be supported by developers and without apps you are just spinning wheels.
    12-17-11 10:55 AM
    I snorted slash giggled when reading this article. You'd have to be quite messed up in the head to think that WP7 (Anyone remember how Windows 6.5 failed?) is an OS that anyone should adopt.

Mainly when there's a massive list of features missing, even from Mango. I cant take CNN serious after reading this article. The minute they said WP7, I closed the tab in my browser.
    A very Stupid idea

To redevelop all of RIM's back bone business would take longer to launch a Windows 7 Based phone than to get QNX off the ground.

BES/BIS revenue was over 20% of the revunue this quarter, do you really want to give up 20% of your revenue stream?

It is posts like this that are idiotic, those who don't understand the business model behind BlackBerry nor the technology and think you can just throw a switch and run a new OS. These things don't happen fast, and legacy support is required when you have a 75million user base. or you cut off the leg to save the foot.
    recompile and llllBULLSEYE like this.
    12-17-11 11:52 AM
    That actually would be a great idea and probably would be the only salvation for RIM. As great as QNX is, it is a failed unsupported platform that has little to no chance of catching on in the North American market. However running a rising and more supported OS may put Blackberries in the hands of more consumers and save the Blackberry brand. Its time to admit the QNX will never be supported by developers and without apps you are just spinning wheels.
    so QNX has had 2-3 months to get support and because the app world has only doubled once since then no one will develop for QNX? you speak for a pretty large group, right now the PlayBook has the most available languages to build with, it is embracing open source, and HTML5 which is a step for platform independent programming,
    The Android App Player allows Android devs to simply try their luck with the BlackBerry user base and take their time seeing if their is ROI for developing native applications.
    12-17-11 11:55 AM
    A very Stupid idea

To redevelop all of RIM's back bone business would take longer to launch a Windows 7 Based phone than to get QNX off the ground.
    And how exactly is RIM supposed to compete in North America with QNX when the app selection and developer support is horrendous? Maybe make Windows or Android phones for North America and keep the old platforms for other less competitive markets. There is not a easy solution but I am sure that QNX will no elevate BB in North America without a eco system.
    12-17-11 11:57 AM
    The Android App Player allows Android devs to simply try their luck with the BlackBerry user base and take their time seeing if their is ROI for developing native applications.
    The Android player will not save BB. It will only play a limited amount of Android apps. BB has to see the big picture.
    12-17-11 11:59 AM
    And how exactly is RIM supposed to compete in North America with QNX when the app selection and developer support is horrendous? Maybe make Windows or Android phones for North America and keep the old platforms for other less competitive markets. There is not a easy solution but I am sure that QNX will no elevate BB in North America without a eco system.

An Ecosystem is being built, has just started this last quarter actively trying to grow their developer support, The tools to start development where not available until October,

RIM will compete by having the back door access to apps with Android player while helping develop their App library's They will compete by being the Server side software maker of choice for Enterprise, Mobile fusion showing this. APPs and Ecosystem are important, but you have to start growing somewhere, And QNX is seeing some amazing app support on the automotive side of things that could translate into tablet support
    12-17-11 12:01 PM
    Windows Phone will be major player. Especially when Windows 8 comes out for all devices (tablets, PC and smartphone).
    12-17-11 12:01 PM
    Palm did the very same! They had a "windows Treo" we all know where they ended...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-17-11 12:06 PM
    Windows Phone will be major player. Especially when Windows 8 comes out for all devices (tablets, PC and smartphone).
    I truly hope they change the Windows 8 UI.

Windows 8 is enough for me to want to look at Linux again, I run a dual boot Win7/Win8 and can not find a single thing I like about Windows 8.
    IF it was on a tablet I could like it a bit more, but keyboard/mouse navigation sucks
    12-17-11 12:47 PM
    Come on, it's CNN...
    12-17-11 12:55 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD