SAN FRANCISCO/NEW YORK (Reuters) - To understand what ails BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd in the U.S. market, just ask eBay Inc Chief Executive John Donahoe.

The world's biggest online auction site had about a hundred engineers developing new iterations of eBay's shopping app for Apple Inc's iPhone a few months ago, and another hundred engineers working on Google Inc's Android mobile platform.

EBay even had 50 people developing apps for Microsoft's Windows phones, but the e-commerce giant only had "one or two" working on RIM's BlackBerry, according to Donahoe.

Full article here: Americans losing addiction to "CrackBerrys"

Searched, looked through the general discussion (and BlackBerry News) thread and didn't see this posted.
    12-17-11 01:15 AM
    RIM needs a fast solution and waiting a full year for a phone with an unsupported and app lacking OS like QNX is not it. There best solution is to build a solid device with up to date features with an amazing touchscreen and run Android or even Windows. This will put RIM in direct competition with Samsung and the like and most importantly make Blackberry a household name once again. I am not at all excited about QNX phones because as much as we deny it the market want apps and Blackberry can not deliver.
    mustangv8, azrin640 and tkwolf like this.
    12-17-11 01:24 AM
    Yea, we didn't know that. If it wasn't for crackberry specifically, I would be willing to bet they would easily lose a good 15% of their base. We just sit here and accept subpar products and stay faithful to a company that does not care about us.
    RCCollins and azrin640 like this.
    12-17-11 01:29 AM
    Can't believe BlackBerry's US market is, about 10% now? RIM really, really underestimated the power of an App and using the phone for more than a communication device. And too bad they didn't realized this until 2011.

The only way I could see RIM regaining some if its customers back or gaining new ones if WP7 doesn't really take off and user fatigue from iOS and Android making BlackBerry 10 a nice "breath of fresh air" alternative to the big guys (Google and Apple).

Here's to a better year, 2012!
    12-17-11 01:59 AM
    Even I'm weaning off my Crackberry addiction. I'll still keep my BB to use with my PB, but when my upgrade period rolls around I'll more than likely be looking at iPhone or Android, for the apps more than anything else.

RIM has some serious catching up to do if it wants to stay in the game.
    12-17-11 06:41 AM
    it hurts to see commercials on TV talking about an app and you see on the bottom of the screen 'available for iPhone and Android' ... no mention of BBs apps anywhere...they need a marketing team on this ASAP!
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-17-11 07:00 AM
    Best section of article:

To be sure, BlackBerry still has its defenders. Robert Laikin, CEO of cellphone distributor Brightpoint, said that RIM represents between 5 percent to 10 percent of the 110 million phones his company handles globally every year.
    "I still have a BlackBerry. When I talk to my friends who are business professionals, most of them still have a BlackBerry. Some of them have bought an additional device too," he told Reuters.
    "All manufacturers I've worked with in the last 25 years have product delays. What RIM is going through isn't different," he said. "I believe RIM will survive because their product is very sticky."
    TRlPPlN likes this.
    12-17-11 07:08 AM
    I think the issue is the products are less sticky than they used to be. So while I mostly agree with the previous, I don't think that statement assures them any success.
    12-17-11 07:10 AM
    The problem with Blackberry's in the U.S. is their subsidized price. I see a lot of people with the Torch, my guess because AT&T had them for $49 with a two-contract. When you look at Verizon, their Bold 9930 is $199 (I've seen it higher). Sorry, but anyone at RIM who thinks this is a good idea is flat out wrong. Putting these phones into the sub $50 range is the only way to really pick up new customers.
    12-17-11 09:41 AM
    Wow it takes hundreds of developers to make one app? They need better developers?
    12-17-11 09:43 AM
    it hurts to see commercials on TV talking about an app and you see on the bottom of the screen 'available for iPhone and Android' ... no mention of BBs apps anywhere...they need a marketing team on this ASAP!
    That's because in almost all instances there is not a Blackberry app for what they are advertising. You can't market what you do not have. RIM has basically neutered itself by implying QNX powered phones would be ready early 2012, and now pushing it back, plus this crazy android support that hasn't materialized yet in QNX either. Developers won't put much effort into a platform that is end of life and hemorraging marketshare, so OS7 will see little to no developement while developers wait to port their finished android apps over to BB10. RIM needs to wake the **** up and put out QNX phone running HSPA, not LTE, that can be rolled out NOW! This waiting for an LTE chipset excuse is garbage and shows just how out of touch RIM is with the market, and/or how big of liars they are to cover up the neglegence. Iphone isn't LTE and neither are a lot of the hot selling droids. Apple rolled out to what worked best now, and will go to LTE when the technology is ready, and people will buy them like candy without LTE. Every mis-step rim digs the whole deeper and the sides may fall in soon and bury them alive.
    azrin640 and the_sleuth like this.
    12-17-11 10:08 AM
    Yea, we didn't know that. If it wasn't for crackberry specifically, I would be willing to bet they would easily lose a good 15% of their base. We just sit here and accept subpar products and stay faithful to a company that does not care about us.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!!
    RCCollins and azrin640 like this.
    12-17-11 10:19 AM
    My only question to you is..WHY? There are people out there who will pay someone to beat the crap out of them, for whatever reason.
    12-17-11 12:19 PM
    I think it comes down to getting your money's worth. Most people pay $80+ for the privilege of using a smartphone. For that kind of money you had better get more than push email and bbm. I think if blackberry could offer a plan similar to metro pcs... Unlimited everything for $50.. And drop the price on the new phones with outdated technology.. They could dominate the market.
    12-17-11 12:50 PM
    75 Million * .15 = 11,250,000
    I guess the crackberry website has a bunch of lurkers, no wonder the site lags if 11.25 Million users are on the site all the time.
    ALToronto likes this.
    12-17-11 12:50 PM
    I think it comes down to getting your money's worth. Most people pay $80+ for the privilege of using a smartphone. For that kind of money you had better get more than push email and bbm. I think if blackberry could offer a plan similar to metro pcs... Unlimited everything for $50.. And drop the price on the new phones with outdated technology.. They could dominate the market.
    That takes the carriers, NOT RIM,

in Canada you can get a Pay As you Go voice plan with an unlimited messaging on a BlackBerry for $35/month, not offered for any other smartphone due to data requirements.

the Carriers could push the low cost smartphone bundle to the feature phone users, but haven't yet, the race to lower cost plans wont happen until the upper limit plans start getting limits like other countries have.
    12-17-11 12:55 PM
    75 Million * .15 = 11,250,000
    I guess the crackberry website has a bunch of lurkers, no wonder the site lags if 11.25 Million users are on the site all the time.
    Lol...... I've often wondered why it gets so laggy!!
    12-17-11 01:44 PM
    There best solution is to build a solid device with up to date features with an amazing touchscreen and run Android or even Windows. This will put RIM in direct competition with Samsung and the like and most importantly make Blackberry a household name once again..
    Are you serious run Android or windows on my BB....... yo pack your **** and leave and never post another thing on this site. The day they put any other os onto my BB im done with them and searching for the nearest bridge to jump off
    12-17-11 08:42 PM
    Are you serious run Android or windows on my BB....... yo pack your **** and leave and never post another thing on this site. The day they put any other os onto my BB im done with them and searching for the nearest bridge to jump off
    Would you like a tranquilizer? You sound rather upset!
    12-17-11 08:45 PM
    It's no mystery. iPhone and android are just phones. They're not really doing anything outrageously new compared to BlackBerry.

People like choice and when BB gets its act together they will be 'rediscovered'.
    12-18-11 12:10 AM
    Just watch
    Ill bet my life on this, even the iPhone will eventually lose popularity and another company will become the most valued company in the world, and will sell more than Apple.

Nothing lasts forever
    12-18-11 12:20 AM
    Who cares what happens in the US! The only thing that matters is that people still buy BBs in third-world countries. At least, that is what I've learned from these boards.
    vrs626, moiselles and Maliberti like this.
    12-18-11 09:05 AM
    That guy is on every post possible to state his want for BB to switch to another OS. I guess I fail to understand his "logic" and frankly I'm OK with that.
    12-18-11 09:13 AM
    RIM needs to scrap the stupid LTE chips, and release it earlier
    12-18-11 09:21 AM
    Who cares what happens in the US! The only thing that matters is that people still buy BBs in third-world countries. At least, that is what I've learned from these boards.
    So third world customers are worth less than first world customers? Really?
    12-18-11 07:41 PM
94 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD