As a second device would it be better to get a kindle fire or a 3g touch.
    I absolutely hate kobo (on the playbook) and the amazon cloud doesn't work for me.

I hear good things about eink, and fire would be a duplicate device but wondering if it would be worth to spend the money on the touch given fire can do so much extra.
    As for reading I'm a moderate buyer with one to two book/month on average.
    If you can get one device/tablet under $200 as the absolute maximum from a brick and mortar shop, like lets say staples, what would you get (for christmas).
    12-16-11 09:49 PM
    IF you own a PlayBook, I would suggest trying OS2, and trying Kindle Android App before dropping $200 on a second device.
    12-16-11 09:53 PM
    If you just want an eReader, I'd say 3G touch. It has lifetime free 3G connectivity, which I think is pretty great. You don't need an eReader with tabletish capability, because you already have a great tablet. Well, that's my opinion, anyway.
    12-16-11 09:56 PM
    If all I wanted to do was to read, or perhaps, carry a full course load of textbooks on a e-Reader (assuming the needed texts were available from Amazon), then I would say the 3G Touch is a good choice. IMHO, the fire is a uber dummed down tablet, and at the price of the fire, the PB is indeed a bargain.

I am curious, what is it about Kobo you don't like; I find it quite the bees knee's for my reading needs.

As a side note, my 17 year old daughter loves the PB she will get on Xmas, but we did purchase a Nook Tablet at B&N for two reasons...first, the B&N here also is one of three stores that stocks the required textbooks for 5 of the local universities, and having all her textbook needs on a tablet form factor beats the hay out of 30 lbs stuffed in her back pack. Second, she gets a student discount on the Nook when combined with a minimum textbook purchase of three books, she got the Nook for $150.00; a $100.00 savings.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-16-11 10:05 PM
    kobo isn't bad. I have the fire and ipad2 as well as the pb, fire is pretty good but the battery life is sub par which isn't good for book reading. if you want a dedicated e reader, you should just get a plain ol kindle.
    12-16-11 10:53 PM
    the kindle doesnt have an e-ink screen, there is only one colour eink reader so far, and I think it is in japan. If you are looking for something for just reading, I would suggest the new sony prst1 or the kindle touch or kobo touch, they are all very similar devices, however they are not tablet like, they have wifi but are meant for reading.
    12-17-11 12:02 PM
    kobo isn't bad. I have the fire and ipad2 as well as the pb, fire is pretty good but the battery life is sub par which isn't good for book reading. if you want a dedicated e reader, you should just get a plain ol kindle.
    NO. ........ Just, ....No

Battery lasts just as = to or longer than PB, and I have both.
    12-17-11 12:05 PM
    If you want a 2nd device simply for reading, e-ink blows away an LCD screen. I've got an original Nook which I love. If I had it to do over again, though, I'd forgo 3G capability and just get wifi. You only need data access when you download titles, and WiFi is in my home and in so many public places now.

I just picked up a refurbished Nook Simple Touch for $69. You can get a brand newfull-priced Nook or Kindle for under $100. Much lighter, far longer battery, and far easier on the eyes.
    12-17-11 12:12 PM
    just an fyi the new sony reader is only $99, i wish i had the extra cash to grab it!
    12-17-11 12:23 PM
    I have a playbook but for reading I have a Kindle 3G, any of the Kindles will do except for the fire which has a terrible battery life in comparison. The Kindle touch is about 2 months the Fire is about 9 hours.
    12-17-11 12:24 PM
    The kindle fire is pretty cool
    And android ice cream sandwich is coming for it too!
    12-17-11 05:15 PM
    Get the Kindle Touch or Classic. Reading books on its black and white "ink" display is way better than ANY tablet, as is battery life. Don't bother with 3G if you have regular access to WiFi--Kindle browser is worse than you would believe.
    12-17-11 06:13 PM
    appreciate all the inputs...i am going to sit on the choice and take the plunge in the next couple of days.
    12-17-11 10:04 PM
    Check out the Mobile read forums if you want to read up on ebook readers.

Sent from my Nexus S
    12-17-11 10:52 PM
    Not sure why so many people say the fire's battery is bad. I mean it will suck compared to their ereader counterparts, but two totally different platforms.

I have had the Fire off the charger since 1100am and is now 1200am and still have 30% battery life left. So 13 hours is darn good considering all the use I have put it through today. Kids have been playing the crap out of the games to boot!

Wish my Andriod phone had this good of life.

Honestly if just wanting to read more, I also suggest one of the eink readers. Loving mu Fire though and don't have no where near the.complaints some have had. Been an awesome experience this far for the price point.

Sent from I am on Fire!
    Lead_Express likes this.
    12-17-11 11:09 PM
    I am an avid reader and when I wanted an ereader I purchased a Kobo first. It was fine but was lacking a few features I considered necessary. I wanted to be able to set multiple bookmarks - I wanted a "go to page" function etc. So my next (and current) ereader was a Sony PRS650. I still love it's e-ink screen - its Oxford dictionary and the ability to use it to borrow from libraries, as well as borrow ebooks with friends. I don't need it to download books - side loading is fast and easy.

I use my Playbook for cookbooks and picture books with my granddaughter.
    12-17-11 11:29 PM
    I have both as well as the Ipad2 used the Touch can't beat the e-ink when it comes to reading a the device. The other two are used mainly for anything I might reading were color is involved.
    12-18-11 01:56 PM
    NO. ........ Just, ....No

Battery lasts just as = to or longer than PB, and I have both.
    True, the battery is almost as good as playbook but I don't use playbook as an e-reader, nor is it marketed as or named after a family of e-readers. Bottom line, the Fire is a good device, but you have to admit, if you're wanting a portable reading device, the battery life limits it for that use.
    Last edited by Lead_Express; 12-18-11 at 03:53 PM.
    12-18-11 02:26 PM
    E-ink readers are not backlit like tablets, so they are easier on the eyes when you are reading.

As a multiple Kindle household, I would highly recommend one of them....if only for their outstanding customer service.

We are a two Playbook family, as well, but they are unopened under the....how many days until the 25th???
    12-18-11 03:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD