There are some reports that when using mobile hotspot, users are redirected to a site asking them to subscribe to a tethering plan.

While there are those who report that they are able to connect to the web by fabricating APN, Username and password.

I am still on .540 at the moment and I am just waiting for a more stable 7.1 build. However, I would like to know whether TMO USA subscribers need to have a tethering plan first....

Thanks.
    12-16-11 07:21 AM
    You absolutely must have the $15 monthly tethering plan for this to work. End of story.
    12-16-11 08:51 AM
    That's false info right there, I am actually a T-mobile user and only have the Unlimited Blackberry Data plan along with 2 GB of High Speed Data as well and have been using the mobile hotspot since it was first released with NO PROBLEM. Before even using it I did acknowledge that this data transfer might create a crazy bill and did call T-mobile and ask a rep who then explained that DATA is DATA, and that my high speed is what will be used for Tethering and that after the 2GB of High Speed, that my speeds will just slow down but still be UNLIMITED cause that is what my contract with the company states, UNLIMITED DATA. Just thought I should condense my long convo to a shorter version and help the masses.
    sbx9900 likes this.
    12-16-11 03:51 PM
    I'll try 7.1 next week. It looks like we have a similar data plan. I hope that works for me too.

Thanks.
    12-16-11 08:21 PM
    That's false info right there, I am actually a T-mobile user and only have the Unlimited Blackberry Data plan along with 2 GB of High Speed Data as well and have been using the mobile hotspot since it was first released with NO PROBLEM. Before even using it I did acknowledge that this data transfer might create a crazy bill and did call T-mobile and ask a rep who then explained that DATA is DATA, and that my high speed is what will be used for Tethering and that after the 2GB of High Speed, that my speeds will just slow down but still be UNLIMITED cause that is what my contract with the company states, UNLIMITED DATA. Just thought I should condense my long convo to a shorter version and help the masses.
    did you update to the 7.1 version to get the hotspot ?? amd did the t-mobile network automatically get recognized as soon as it booted up ??

Thanks in advance!
    12-16-11 09:59 PM
    I have T-Mobile with the classic 1000min plan and 2gb unlimited data WITHOUT the tethering and the hotspot works for me. I don't know what the difference is because other users are reporting getting the tmobile message.
    12-17-11 01:48 AM
    I have T-Mobile with the classic 1000min plan and 2gb unlimited data WITHOUT the tethering and the hotspot works for me. I don't know what the difference is because other users are reporting getting the tmobile message.
    you and fresh2death have the 2gb unlimited data plan and you are able to use the mobile hotspot without the tethering plan. It looks like I am in good company for I have the same plan too. I wonder what plan those who are redirected to a site asking them to subscribe to the tethering plan have.
    12-17-11 06:45 AM
    I do not think that they are actually on a BB Data Plan, I have heard of users that just want to purchase a data plan and try just using wifi alone without data or maybe even a different epn. I have a friend as well who has something similar but has the Unlimited Data Plan with 5 GB of high speed which is the new promo plan from T-mobile. If anything, just sign into your T-mobile acct online and look at when it says Data Usage, that right there should show your high speed usage which is the mobile hot-spot.
    12-17-11 01:26 PM
    I also have the exact same plan but this does not work. How did you set it up to work?
    12-17-11 08:37 PM
    it was a pain in the neck to install, but finally got it... everything works, including wi-fi calling, hot spot, all apps, etc... great os
    setting worked for me for hot spot (T-mobile):
    internet
    web
    web
    cheers!
    12-17-11 11:44 PM
    it was a pain in the neck to install 7.1, but finally got it... everything works, including wi-fi calling, hot spot, all apps, etc... great os
    settings worked for me for hot spot (T-mobile):
    APN: internet
    log: web
    pass: web
    I'm on 2GB unlimited plan.
    cheers!
    sbx9900 likes this.
    12-17-11 11:47 PM
    Yea I'm loving the wifi calling, I finally get to use my bb at work. Where I work tmo signal doesn't penetrate the building so I needed it bad, also no issues with the rom whatsoever

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 4G using Tapatalk
    12-18-11 12:32 AM
    it was a pain in the neck to install 7.1, but finally got it... everything works, including wi-fi calling, hot spot, all apps, etc... great os
    cheers!
    I suppose you just made up the APN, username and password?
    12-18-11 01:11 AM
    To clear things up...I am one of those suffering from the redirection to a tmo web page that tells me I need to buy a tethering plan. I am most definitely paying for a grandfathered unlimited data plan (5gb) and I can tether perfectly well using bluetooth as well as usb. It's only when I try to use the hotspot that I get redirected.
    12-18-11 07:09 AM
    cheers!
    Where are you setting that? hotspot configuration on the blackberry? don't see these options.
    12-18-11 01:39 PM
    quick question regarding the BB7.1 .. so after you guys loaded the OS, did it work out-of-the-box ?? like 4G, wifi hotspot, tethering .. etc etc.,
    12-18-11 02:15 PM
    Not at all. The hotspot asks me to upgrade to the more expensive plan, for an extra $15/month. Sorry to deliver the bad news. 4G and tethering work fine though.
    12-18-11 08:32 PM
    cheers!
    ok .. so here is what i did .. downloaded the 7.1 update .. installed it .. and everything worked out of the box .. i did not had to download any service books etc etc., the hotspot also worked on 4G .. i tested my connecting my laptop and making skype calls .. was very clear .. and as soon as i connected to the home wifi router it said wifi calling enabled .. there was no app or a place to select ( atleast i dint find/select any) .. and when i switched on the hotspot settings for the first time, it asked me for apn settings and i input exactly the same as displayed in the quoted text .. glad i cud wifi calling enabled !!! best feature ever !!!!
    12-18-11 11:06 PM
    I was never prompted for pan settings. strange.
    12-19-11 01:20 PM
    the settings worked for me!!!!
    12-27-11 02:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD