Hey friends!

Everyone is shocked about the OS 10 delay.

But what do you expect from it?

Now, with OS7 we have got a great OS.
    Even the new HTML5 browser is great!
    And Flash is running out...

So what shall be the great revolution of QNX?

Why is there a need for it?

I mean think of a BB 9900 (or other OS7 device) facelift with the current OS.
    Upgraded with a great autofocus camera, BBM-video-chat and a better battery.

What better should come?
    What do you expect from a QNX OS?
    Only more apps?
    12-16-11 04:00 AM
    I expect nothing but the best or pretty damn close eh=p
    My 9900 exceed my expectation and I expect the BB10 will as well
    Last edited by maam; 12-16-11 at 04:41 AM. Reason: spelling
    12-16-11 04:40 AM
    I'm under contract with my 9900 until the end of 2013, I dont spare much thought on the BB10 right now, I don't need to.

Besides, I love BBOS as it is, I'm not so sure I will like BB10
    12-16-11 04:44 AM
    Same here.
    I love BB OS.
    It has been on my side for over a half decade now.

The latest improvements they did with OS7 were the ones I wished to have.

So I don't really understand the whole QNX blowup.

I'm open for new things, but BB OS is what makes Blackberry to a Blackberry.
    The whole thing how it's designed etc.
    12-16-11 04:49 AM
    First thing they should do is sort out the management of the company itself.....Come on people, we're all staunch RIM-fans here, and I know I've been defending the company to the hilt for the last few years, but this latest announcement is just a joke!

As customers, we deserve far better than what RIM's management is giving us, and that extends far beyond just Balsillie & Lazaridis.
    12-16-11 05:53 AM
    First thing they should do is sort out the management of the company itself.....Come on people, we're all staunch RIM-fans here, and I know I've been defending the company to the hilt for the last few years, but this latest announcement is just a joke!

As customers, we deserve far better than what RIM's management is giving us, and that extends far beyond just Balsillie & Lazaridis.
    Please explain to me what this announcement has to do with existing Blackberry users? How is it affecting us in any way?
    12-16-11 05:59 AM
    Please explain to me what this announcement has to do with existing Blackberry users? How is it affecting us in any way?
    It affects us existing users because this entire market is now based on innovation, volume of active users, and how much attention the platform and hardware is getting from the developer community, consumers and the manufacturer itself (in this case, RIM)

What we need is for the company to be following through on what they say, otherwise despite all of us saying it won't happen, RIM may end up not havong the cash, revenue or user-base someway down the line, to be able to support the crazy number of BB devices out there right now. Look how long it takes for OS updates and popular multi-platform apps to be released.... Supporting this badly dispersed hardware and OS mix is not helping.

So in my opinion OP, that's how its affecting us right now
    12-16-11 06:06 AM
    I think the delay is just fine. The delay will give BB 9900 users a year of quality updates from RIM (it better). I always want to feel that when I buy a device then I will get good use out of it. The 9900 has room to improve because the CPU and graphics can handle much more.

I am happy with the 9900 but I realize the battery is what it is. I always smile when I sit beside my girlfriend (she has iPhone 4) and we put in our calendar appointments together. Yes, I am done and cracking a beer before she is half done, go BB!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-11 06:10 AM
    It affects us existing users because this entire market is now based on innovation, volume of active users, and how much attention the platform and hardware is getting from the developer community, consumers and the manufacturer itself (in this case, RIM)

What we need is for the company to be following through on what they say, otherwise despite all of us saying it won't happen, RIM may end up not havong the cash, revenue or user-base someway down the line, to be able to support the crazy number of BB devices out there right now. Look how long it takes for OS updates and popular multi-platform apps to be released.... Supporting this badly dispersed hardware and OS mix is not helping.

So in my opinion OP, that's how its affecting us right now
    But the existing Blackberry users have bought their phones for what they can do now, not for what Rim may or may not innovate later. Obviously Rim is doing something right to add so many users no?

I still believe it's irrelevant to us current users.
    12-16-11 06:13 AM
    Just as an example of how loyal BB users are, look at the strong defences RIM gets from us EVERY SINGLE TIME some bad results or news has come-out about the company's performance or device/OS delays (think the 9900, Playbook, Playbook OS2, staff departures, etc.)

In my case for instance, I wouldn't want to see the platform in decline and constantly keep convincing people to get BB's instead of any other (got at least 4-5 people to get ones recently...no easy task vs SGS2 & iPhone4s, etc).

For myself, I'm putting my money where my mouth is any despite all the other devices out there now, am STILL going ahead to get the 9810 on contract. I've always said it is the most efficient GTD device out there, and I stand by it. But we need to have some serious movement forward toward BBX (yeah, I said it! BBX, not OS10, not QNX..... We Want BBX! lol)

[Rant over... ]
    12-16-11 06:13 AM
    Thank you for all your replys!

It's ok what falter postet - it's his opinion.

But till now, I don't see a REAL advantage of QNX to the current OS.
    Media, Internet etc. are running great in BB OS, finally.

But most people want QNX like a glass of water after 3 days of desert sun.
    visceralberry likes this.
    12-16-11 06:15 AM
    Thank you for all your replys!

It's ok what falter postet - it's his opinion.

But till now, I don't see a REAL advantage of QNX to the current OS.
    Media, Internet etc. are running great in BB OS, finally.

But most people want QNX like a glass of water after 3 days of desert sun.
    To give you an idea of what I think OS10 (BBX) should be bringing to the table, have a look at a previous post I put up http://forums.crackberry.com/general...6/#post6770119 around DevCon.....[Worth checking the render done by Bongs at the top of the page as well]
    Last edited by visceralberry; 12-16-11 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Link edited...
    12-16-11 06:26 AM
    What BBOS10/QNX will bring is what iOS all ready has. Write an app for the iphone not much effort if any at all for it work on an ipad or itouch. The fragmentation that drives developers nuts should no longer be a problem.

While many of us love the bbos as is there are many that think it is outdated. While it is very user efficient it still needs reboots when installing anything and as an OS it is not all that efficient.

Meet the Power Behind the BlackBerry Tablet OS
    12-16-11 06:29 AM
    Same here.
    I love BB OS.
    It has been on my side for over a half decade now.

The latest improvements they did with OS7 were the ones I wished to have.

So I don't really understand the whole QNX blowup.

I'm open for new things, but BB OS is what makes Blackberry to a Blackberry.
    The whole thing how it's designed etc.
    You are comparing apples to oranges discussing BBOS (Java) versus QNX (Unix). Your naivety suggests a lack of understanding of QNX and the longevity the transition to this operating system offers smartphone users and tablet users under the BlackBerry logo. Seriously, BBOS 7.0 is really BBOS 6.1 or 6.2 and nothing revolutionary.
    12-16-11 06:42 AM
    You are comparing apples to oranges discussing BBOS (Java) versus QNX (Unix). Your naivety suggests a lack of understanding of QNX and the longevity the transition to this operating system offers smartphone users and tablet users under the BlackBerry logo. Seriously, BBOS 7.0 is really BBOS 6.1 or 6.2 and nothing revolutionary.
    You might be right.
    But what can QNX or iOs (UNIX) now do, what OS 7 (JAVA) can�t do that it�s so urgent to bring it out?

Many say BB OS is outdated - but I don`t get what�s missing?
    Till now the java version is un-hacked, compared to the UNIX systems

I mean except to have an appworld/store?
    12-16-11 08:07 AM
    Everyone else now has approx. 10 months to improve their current OS. Whose to say that whatever the other guys bring out in 6+ months won't wow customers and give then a huge advantage.

Not to mention the hardware/phones themselves.

For all those who make QNX sound like the second coming of RIM, they seem to forget or ignore they the other guys in the game are also going to becoming out with improvements that, who knows, might jump ahead of QNX?

Besides, it's not how good or great something is, it's how much you can convince people that they want/need it or should have it.

War Is All We Know
    12-16-11 08:21 AM
    I'm sorry to say I think it will me much too little, far too late. By the time these are released there will be a -meh- reaction, and the RIM customer base will have dropped even further to Android and iPhone.

Will it be enough to bring people back? Time will tell.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    12-16-11 08:50 AM
    I'm sorry to say I think it will me much too little, far too late. By the time these are released there will be a -meh- reaction, and the RIM customer base will have dropped even further to Android and iPhone.

i've already switched from my trusty curve to an iphone 4s and couldn't be happier. now i'm hoping my playbook will get full android OS support. i don't care about QNX at all when no one even wants to develop for it.
    12-16-11 09:03 AM

Or it'll be Oh. Another BlackBerry. How quaint. Now where'd those iPhones go...
    12-16-11 09:05 AM
    Nice to all the replies.

But no one wrote what he/she expected form QNX...

What shall be better?
    12-16-11 08:55 PM
    QNX will flop due to lack of developer support. This is an app game and by the time QNX is released the Windows platform will be on the rise and will possibly be the only OS able to dethrone Apple. At this point the best BB can do is adapt a popular OS to survive. As much as I like the QNX OS, it has not been embraced by app developers and probably never will.
    12-16-11 10:36 PM
    QNX will flop due to lack of developer support. This is an app game and by the time QNX is released the Windows platform will be on the rise and will possibly be the only OS able to dethrone Apple. At this point the best BB can do is adapt a popular OS to survive. As much as I like the QNX OS, it has not been embraced by app developers and probably never will.
    In your opinion.
    12-16-11 10:39 PM
    I hope it will shock the market
    12-16-11 10:45 PM
    Hey friends!

Everyone is shocked about the OS 10 delay.

But what do you expect from it?

Now, with OS7 we have got a great OS.
    Even the new HTML5 browser is great!
    And Flash is running out...

So what shall be the great revolution of QNX?

Why is there a need for it?

I mean think of a BB 9900 (or other OS7 device) facelift with the current OS.
    Upgraded with a great autofocus camera, BBM-video-chat and a better battery.

What better should come?
    What do you expect from a QNX OS?
    Only more apps?
    I always thought the same way. You have healthy doubt.
    I think the whole QNX thing was just RIMS's panic buy when what they thought was the joke (i.e., iPhone) quickly became a reality. Instead of innovating by themselves, they sought for the solution in buying spree, QNX, TAT and others. I don't care if QNX was used for industrial plants etc. Its probably more difficult to accommodate it into a palm size device. This is probably why even PB, a larger device, is having difficult to adopt the basic native PIM apps. They are struggling.
    My guess is that by the time RIM might be successful in squeezing the QNX into a small handheld device, it would lose all shines by the time RIM would be ready. QNX is probably used as a kernel core but the UI is probably similar to the same old BBOS (nothing wrong with it. I rather like its archaic text based layered menu system).
    If so, I thought they would have been much better off by improving and polishing the existing hardware and software and shortened the update cycle.
    And if the QNX lost the qwerty, then it's no longer a BB. RIM cannot compete with others on touchscreen devices. Competitions are so far ahead.

I thought the major area BBs were missing was browser. OS6 & 7 improved the browsing experience so much but it was mostly because of speedier CPU and hardware acceleration. I really do not think QNX will make any visible performance excellence in small handsets.

Also, RIM should forget about emulating the iphone success. They tried to make the device as thin as the iPhone, and ended up being an unbalanced & ugly design, poor battery life and poor camera etc.
    Just innovate. BTW, RIM might have been better off buying Web OS rather than trying to cram QNX into a device. What BB was missing was a smooth internet connection and better utilization of it.
    12-16-11 11:21 PM
    Nice to all the replies.

But no one wrote what he/she expected form QNX...

What shall be better?
    That's a good point. I guess even though I linked my last post to a previous comment of mine on a separate thread, only xanadome really detailed some ideas out here.

Sorry to cut & paste, but below is what I had expected (and still hope) for QNX/BBX/Blackberry 10 to offer over OS7:

[From: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...6/#post6770119 ]

In terms of what to expect, am more hoping to see RIM announce a QNX-powered 'BBX Superphone' that'll lay the groundwork for the new BBX-family of phones to come.

Would also very much hope that TAT, NewBay, JayCut, Gist, Tungle.Me, ScoreLoop, DocumentsToGo, and others, will be deeply integrated into the new platform, working smoothly and efficiently with each other.

The BBX PhoneBook & Calendar
    Combined with the BBM Social Platform and Social Feeds, the new phonebook should pre-integrate the functionalities of the standard BBOS phone book with Gist's social media updates and contact backgrounds, Tungle.me collaborative appointments and meeting arrangements, and the complete integration of the BBM social platform.

This would create a consumer-friendly, but extremely powerful tool that would also work perfectly for enterprise users and small/medium-sized businesses. If you consider it, it would almost certainly exceed the functionality and useability of Xobni/Smartr as well.

Add-in the new Blackberry Conferencing app as a baked-in feature of this address book, and what you have is a single, unified experience, that delivers social feeds, gist layout & functions, rich experience, linked-in, facebook, twitter, blogs, BBM status updates, meeting arrangements & changes, voice & video-conferencing (with reminders), direct messaging (for all the above, in a manner similar to Twitter for Blackberry does via a semi-transparent pop-up messaging window), and hopefully with the visual works adapted with the help of the TAT team.

As Gist also already has an amazing Web-app that acts as the main dashboard for all your contacts and any related interactions with them, RIM could integrate this into the offering that I'll highlight in greater detail below, which is NewBay's functions which will provide RIM with an iCloud competitor (BlackberrySync?). A BBX phone-book & calendar, integrated with all the above mentioned apps into one unified system, kept updated and synched accross your phones, Playbook and PC/Laptop via BlackberrySync, would be a revelation in user-experience, and would open-up a multitude of offerings including backing-up the entire phone to BlackberrySync (maybe even via the existing Blackberry Protect App), all powered-by NewBay and their cloud offering via their existing storage-server base.

These are all there at RIM's fingertips to implement if they push, and will be right up there with the very best, re-establishing Blackberry as the foremost smartphone platform for getting productive things done, day-in day-out.

Productivity Apps
    DocumentsToGo along with a continuation of the deep-partnership that is currently developing between RIM & MSFT, bringing Office 365 and SharePoint, along with collaboration tools powered by the newly social BBM platform.

This would be an amazing feat, still very possible to do, but would leapfrog the competition in terms of out of the box functionality, and would secure the future of Blackberries and Playbooks in consumer homes, SME businesses, and the Enterprise market.

Cloud Backup and Sync (via Blackberry Protect & BlackberrySync)
    As mentioned above, the ability to sync all you activities, files, contacts, pictures, media, etc, into one multi-platform accessible interface (powered by RIM acquisition NewBay), would be a complete game-changer for RIM.

I truly hope this would be done so as to bring-up the standard of the BBX-offering to that of the competition. You would be able to restore a phone that is damaged, lost, stolen, or just a new device; again perfect for both consumers & businesses of all sizes.

Maps & Navigation
    We probably all realise this needs a massive upgrade. Maybe a partnership with NavTeq or TomTom? Integrate this with BB Maps or Bing Maps, and bring Wikitude in for deeper integration and BBM-functionality for communicating with contacts nearby, arranging meetings, booking tables at restaurants and getting directions, sending directions to your friends/business contacts to meet you there, etc etc.....

Messaging
    Even more improvements to the class-leading Blackberry email platform, along with ensuring that NO MESSAGES EVER GET DELETED FROM YOUR DEVICE WITHOUT YOU WANTING IT TO BE, by allowing for unlimited message storage and by periodically syncing all sms, mms, BBM, and email messages to the cloud via BlackberrySync.

Widgets & Apps
    By bringing Android App Player functionality to BBX phones, and ensuring that the plaform has widgeting ability (as mentioned on BerryReview a while back), the issue of the app catalogue being found wanting (currently at least) will be greatly reduced and consumers and business alike will not only be placated, but will likely be very very pleased with the Blackberry brand.

Active lock-screens with Bing Search, social-feed updates (ticker-style), weather app, selected news (business, weather, tech, blog/rss, etc), and many others including Skype, traffic (bus, rail, underground/subway), will allow for people to feel they are using what will be a highly competitive platform and will encourage top-rate developers to create highly-functional apps that will be easily ported between BBX devices (IE: the various BBX phones and the Playbook [both 7" and any planned 10.1"].

Lets sincerely hope that RIM is on the ball with this one, as they need to make this DevCon a success, even if they don't bring most or even any of what any of us have mentioned here. They just need to grab our attention and make the Crackberry nation feel motivated and to feel energised to continue spearheading the good fight on their behalf.

Also expect they will be demoing the software more than the specific hardware they plan to use for their full consumer launch. Any hardware they release seems will be for developer use for creating apps and teasing blogs as to what lies ahead hardware-wise.

Still hoping for top specs when finally released. A 4.3" screen would be great, and as its now standard, a solid dual-core will be required along with more than decent RAM, HD or near-HD screen, top-rate front & rear cameras, etc etc.

Lastly, please please please RIM! Don't overly delay the actual release date! I really hope they surprise (read: shock) us with an announcement that the phones will be released in time for the Christmas period, or at least Feb/March at the latest. Now that would really be something to get us going!
    Last edited by visceralberry; 12-17-11 at 03:00 AM.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    12-17-11 02:56 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD