I noticed that if I use my PB charger, that the phone charges faster than with the regular charger. Will that harm the battery?
    12-14-11 02:00 PM
    No.

It won't.
    12-14-11 02:01 PM
    Apparently the charger only let's out what the battery wants. So the charger could be 10 times as powerful, the battery only gets what it wants?
    12-14-11 02:10 PM
    The PlayBook documentation states that the PB charger can be used to charge your phone in half the time.
    12-14-11 02:19 PM
    Oh, thanks. Didn't see that in the manual. Cool that found out by chance then. LOL
    12-14-11 02:40 PM
    anyone else notice the back of the phone getting rather hot when using the Playbook charger? Or am I just imagining things?
    12-14-11 05:58 PM
    The PB charger could also be responsible for bricking phones. Think laptop docking station charger instead of a regular laptop charger. If the PB charger were meant for a phone, then why didn't the 9810 or the other OS 7 phones. IMHO, over the long term, the PB charger could cause damage to the battery and thus the phone.
    12-14-11 07:00 PM
    The PB charger could also be responsible for bricking phones. Think laptop docking station charger instead of a regular laptop charger. If the PB charger were meant for a phone, then why didn't the 9810 or the other OS 7 phones. IMHO, over the long term, the PB charger could cause damage to the battery and thus the phone.
    Lies, I have used this charger for a loooong time and never had a problem. It was sold to me as a "rapid charger" and it is exactly the same as the one provided with the playbook.
    12-14-11 10:33 PM
    anyone else notice the back of the phone getting rather hot when using the Playbook charger? Or am I just imagining things?
    Side effect of fast charging.

If it gets too hot disconnect it as it is bad for the phone.
    12-14-11 10:35 PM
    Don't have to worry about side effects if you use the OEM charger for the device. Just a thought.
    12-15-11 06:15 AM
    Side effect of fast charging.

If it gets too hot disconnect it as it is bad for the phone.
    Kind of what I thought. I wouldn't say it was hot enough to cause major concern, but having been around cordless drill batteries for years, I' malways worried about life span when they go through heat cycles.

That being said, I've used it as well and not had any problems with bricking or anything like that. I just noticed when I picked it up it was warmer than normal. But then, on these cold pacific northwest mornings, it makes a good pocket warmer.
    12-15-11 12:17 PM
    Just charged my 9810 with the PB charger and it was right at room temperature. No warmer than usual.
    12-15-11 12:47 PM
    Try leaving it overnight for a long period of time and see what happens.

To another posts' point, long-term is relative and that person may be fortunate. The PB has different hardware and a different OS. My 9800 and 9810 came with the OEM USB plug charger and not the rapid charger. I also never said that there was a definite connection and don't want to get into a prolonged pointless discussion over who is right or wrong.
    12-15-11 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD